What would you do??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a 2005 3.0L D22, current engine mods are limited to Beaudesert exhaust system and EGR mod. I frequently tow a camper trailer and do a bit of sand/beach driving and im looking for just that little bit extra under the right foot for when on the sand with the trailer and on the highway for passing etc. I know it will never be a high performance machine, but looking more for better performance when towing.

If you had $1500 to spend to increase engine performance, what would you do? Ive been looking at Steinbauer modules or intercoolers as these 2 mods seem to be the most common. Whats everyones thoughts?

Hello all.

I have a 2005 3.0L D22, current engine mods are limited to Beaudesert exhaust system and EGR mod. I frequently tow a camper trailer and do a bit of sand/beach driving and im looking for just that little bit extra under the right foot for when on the sand with the trailer and on the highway for passing etc. I know it will never be a high performance machine, but looking more for better performance when towing.

If you had $1500 to spend to increase engine performance, what would you do? Ive been looking at Steinbauer modules or intercoolers as these 2 mods seem to be the most common. Whats everyones thoughts?

I fitted both to my 22, i also had a Beaudesert system, i used a DTUK chip and was more than impressed, turned it into a different truck, i fitted a top mount intercooler after a lucky escape with a blown turbo, didn't realy notice much difference with the intercooler fitted but it acts as a great catchers mitt:top:

PS

The 80 series air box is a great mod as well, i put some picks up on a couple of other posts.

Last edited:
As said before,

Intercooler is more piece of mind or if your looking to run most boost pressure.
Diesels aren't that concerned with air intake temps, but if you cool the air down you can run more boost.
More boost is more power.
Just fitting the IC wont see much gains, but it will help the engine run happier under towing etc as the air wont get super heat saturated etc.

If your a bit DIY, then an air box is also recommended. Most people use the Toyota ones as they have larger inlet/outlets and higher flow (as they are designed for engines twice the size as the navara)

To get the biggest difference a chip to run more fuel will give the old girl a big kick in power/torque.

There is not much else left, unless you have the budget to go crazy and get a aftermarket Variable Vein turbo that's capable of faster spool and running more boost..

Otherwise, change your diff ratios to something higher? that will help the old girl tow and accelerate...it will mean a slightly higher cruising RPM....but when you move from 4.3's to 4.6's the difference ends up being about 300Rpm or so.

- Christian

Intercooler is more piece of mind or if your looking to run most boost pressure.
Diesels aren't that concerned with air intake temps, but if you cool the air down you can run more boost.
More boost is more power.
thats straight out of the petrol handbook. its not quite true for diesels.

turbo diesels just love intercooling. lowering intake temps lowers egt's which is important if you want to add more fuel.
more boost does not equal more power.

to make power you need to add fuel. but to survive the extra fuel, especially if towing, an intercooler is very highly recommended.

i would go intercooler first, chip 2nd.

for 1500 bucks you could get a forefront cooler and a chip

For $1500 you could get a bomber tent, leave the trailer home & not worry about needing more power :p

For $1500 you could get a bomber tent, leave the trailer home & not worry about needing more power :p

I agree ! I reckon the amount of extra performance you can get for such a huge amount of cash could be better spent elsewhere, however, If thats what makes ya tick, then the above suggestions are good!
Id like my nav to have heaps more power for towing but ive given into to the fact that its a bit slow but at least it hell reliable.

Latest posts

Back