Whats the best modification you have done on your D22 for touring?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hay guys,

Just want to get everyones opinion on whats the best modification thay have done to their D22 in the touring sence? The time is almost near for me to start modifying mine for touring (YAY!!!!) and wanted to see what other people have done. Was it a home made job or a brand bought item?
Happy posting!

Well i havnt done much to my d22 as i have only owned it for a few short months, but so far the only thing i have paid to get done is a 2inch dobinson lift. But the things i have done myself that would help for touring (im in the process of setting it up better for touring) are spotties, uhf, i got some recovery gear including recovery hitch then a basic recovery kit (including snatch strap, bow shackles etc.) i made up some front recovery points (heres the link to the thread where i have supplied dimensions amd specs etc for anyone who wants to have a go at making them... http://www.navara.asia/main-forum/9452-d22-bullbar-winch-recovery-points.html , for anyone that does make them if they test them out they should post up how effective they were), plenty more that i plan to do such as- Better tyres, dual battery, fridge, roof console, intercooler, exhaust... The list goes on. But thats just what ive managed to get done so far.

There are threads that list all the mods you can do. Which you choose first would depend on what sort of touring you are going to do, i.e. what you mean by "touring" and the cash flow.

For us it is still at the thinking/considering stage, so here are current 2c.

Long range fuel tank would be very handy for outback where you do not have as many fuel sources. It would cut down on the number of jerry cans you would need/handle and allow you to avoid the very high prices/dubious quality fuel sources. Caveat, need to move the spare(?).

If you are going to poke down back roads solo, or go camping along inland rivers, then a winch and various "anchors" would be very handy for self recovery.

Bull bars, plate or pipe, and brush bars are handy in you like tight scrubby tracks. They also protect the nose a bit if you drop it in a hole. There is a nice thread on pipe bars which can also mount a winch and look very nice if you do not need the full heavy live stock interceptor bull bar and suspension upgrade.

If you want to cross water higher than your hubs(?), then a snorkel sounds a great idea. Good thread somewhere on not starting you engine if it konks out in the middle of the crossing.

Lift kits and sliders appeal to blokes who like rock work or log rolling. also to improve your angles in the back blocks.

There are a few ideas around about replacing the rear step for extra rear protection, place to mount the spare and second spare.

Then there are the options to do with load carrying, like roof racks (to hold?), load bars, drawers(many examples in mods), canopies(good comments on various commercial and some very nice owner made ones).

If you are hunting/spot lighting, then you might want to consider dropping the alloy rims and switching to light truck tyres on steel. It will hurt the wallet far less when that stick goes through the side.

Suspension?
Extra battery(ies) for the fridge to keep the beer cold?
Towing a van? 3" exhaust?, chip?

Well, I have two most important mod's for me, and they both involve keeping the fluids up. Firstly, my ARB 47L fridge, for obvious reasons, but this also involves the second battery etc, so not really just a fridge mod. But this was my first fridge, having had to use Esky's before, and I would never ever ever go back. Its brilliant, and I am very very happy with the ARB fridge too over the Waeco my friends have for numerous reasons.
Second for me, was my 180L fuel tank (Custom made from the 145L tank from the 4X4 mob in adelaide I can't quite remember the name of..) I would still always carry a jerry can just incase you have a fuel tank problem, as in... big F*$K off hole or something, but it means I didnt have to carry three of four of them just to get anywhere. But that because I was living out northern WA and being able to do at least a 1000km between refuels is a necessity if you want to go anywhere. But it also allows me to pick the best priced fuel too, as I dont have to fill up as often if i don't want to. Down side is, I did have a few welding issues on the tank from when they made it that I had to get fixed to stop a few leaks, but overall, its awesome. And you do not loose your spare wheel space..... even with the 145L for standard D22's without body lift. It goes up and over driveshaft and exhaust. It was also cheaper than the Longranger 120L tank, made of steel (Fricken heavy, think mine was about 45 or 50kg, try putting that in your self.. haha)

For me they were the best mods, but thats cos I havent got to really use my diff autolokker out yet, and the rest I have done are good, but not as useful all the time, just when you need them.

....... Hmmmm.. cold beer.... hmmmmm

For the long trips a cruise control.
TheAp60 is the most basic type that you can fit yourself.
Around $270.

Chip your nav.

Best mod done by far. Transforms the nav into a car thats very enjoyable to drive.

Longrange fuel tank and Bilstien shocks.

Drivers better and you can just keep driving.

1100km's is easy to get out of the tank.

Longrange fuel tank and Bilstien shocks. 1100km's is easy to get out of the tank.
Dave where'd you get your tank from? I've been quoted by ARB and OL for a 125lt replacement, but thought there was a 70l tank that could be fitted that joins to the main tank (was at Eastern Creek 4x4 show recently)..? That'd give me 135lt. And was cheaper. But I can't find it or who sells it.

I got mine through TJM. ARB wouldn't sell me a new tank.

Kept trying to sell me a second hand tank, so went to TJM.

No idea on the sub-tank. Wouldn't mind finding out though.

Latest posts

Back