Wheel/Tyre confusion. Spanish D40 ST-X.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrbob

Reaction score
Hey all (sorry in advance for the essay!!).

I know how old the "what size tyre" threads get. I promise I've used the search function, and read many many threads. I'm still confused!!

I need to buy rims and tyres, as my car currently has 20's. Not so good off road!

Basically, I want the biggest baddest mud tyre I can run without any scrubbing or problems. Even when running low pressures for off-roading.

As the title states, I have a Spanish D40 ST-X dual cab. I've just had an Xrox bull bar fitted. It is booked in for a 2" lift in a fortnight, and I'm off on a road trip the next day, so I need to know what to buy beforehand as I won't have time to "try them on" so to speak!!

The lift I'm getting is from ultimate suspension, so it's a proper 2 inches, not 30 or 40mm like some of the others.

Ok, there's the background. Now finally, my actual questions.

What size, offset, brand of rim. I'm told 16x8 with +20 offset will do. Unfortunately, the guy who told me that is also out of stock of said rims. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to going up to 17's?

What actual size tyre can I run. I'm told 32's are the biggest I can run, and I'm quite happy with that. I'm still unsure of exactly what is the best metric size/profile to be shopping for. Anyone's experiences on brands would he helpful too. Looking for muddies, but like most it will be on the road more than not, so I'd like them to last more than 5000 km.

If anyone can share their wisdom, and/or photos would be awesome and appreciated. Also, if anyone knows a good tyre shop for deals in Sydney would be sweet too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob.

265/75/16 are perhaps the most popular size -- they fit without rubbing, are easy enough to get, work well offroad etc. Some folks are running 285s but I'd question legality (most states wont let you go more than 50mm lager diameter, but others its only 15mm).

As for brand -- that depends on what flavour you like best.

same for 17s, i'm running 265/70R17 with 2" lift and that's the biggest I can go legally in Qld
as for what tyre, I haven't run muddies and I think everyone has their own opinion there. Maxxis & Federal are great value, BFG, MT and Cooper are the high end but work well and last a bit longer

Thanks for all the help so far.

Tyron, are you able to tell me the official size of the tyres you're running? Every other tyre shop I talk to seems to have a different definition of 32 inch.

Also, are you able to tell me the width, offset and or brand of rims you're running? Is yours a Spain or Thai build?

Thanks again.

Doing something similar with a mates spanish D40 atm
we have done the 2inch suspension lift and are looking at new rim and tires.

afaik Spanish have 16 by 7's standard with + 30 offset. so to keep it legal you can only go to a +5 offset (50mm change in track). Width is up to you, but 8-inch is usually a good point for the below quoted sizes.

255/70/16 stock tyre size means you can go to
31inch - 265/70/16 - 14mm difference, legal
32inch - 265/75/16 - about 40mm difference, legal
33inch - 285/75/16 - about 70mm difference (ilegal, max is 50mm)

if you move to 17's just drop the profile by 5 and its all the same measurements.
ie a 265/75/16 is equivalent to 265/70/17.
17s are harder to get decent tyres in, most 4wd tyres some in 15/16's - so if you go 17s just be mindful you choice will be limited, however 17s are more comon these days so manufactures are starting to get out there with this range.

Running 265/70/17 on stock Spanish 17" rims.

If your buying rims I would go 16" more tyre selection and cheaper

265/75 16. very common and cheaper than 17'...easy fit with 2' and no rubbing. googl mita tire calculator wealth of knowledge..

Hey Guys,

Some awesome info here, Thank you all for your input!

Can i please clarify something,
I've got a Dec 2010 D40 - Spanish Build - stock 17" rims - STOCK SUSPENSION - No Mods.
We're heading off over New Years for some light 4x4 work down south (Grampians / GOR).

I have decided on the Cooper St Maxx - but I just want to double check if anyone can tell me if the 265/70 R17 Will fit with no mods?

I plan on 2" (50mm... not 40mm) suspension lift in the future, But i'm sure funds will not allow it before the trip!

Can anyone give a definitive answer on if the 265/70 R17s will fit?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for that Aussie frontier!

I'd say that there should be little difference between the two?
Overall size is the same, and I'm sure there would be a few shape differences around the side lugs, but i doubt that would cause interference!

Thanks again, really appreciate the info!

Latest posts

Back