Wheeny Creek (Gees Arm South Trail)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned out to be an eventful day to say the least.

First we met at the servo and when i turned in i lost first and second gear? after leaving the servo i lost all gear changes, turned out a bolt from the linkage on the box had all but fallen out.
A few minutes to pop it back in and tighten it up we were off.

we get to the start of the trail and its on, this track has steep descents and climbs with big rocky washed out steps and holes, straight away it obvious we know its going to be a long day with getting out to pick lines and guide each other through.

After a few kms the trails is getting more and more interesting and challenging, even the chicken track are hard as Samcubus found out.
We get to a short sharp hill climb and there are four lines from 40" tyres and twin locked comp stuff to a line that looked like the unlocked D22 could take.
I chose the one next to the D22's line and reached the top when i got out the D22 had just been held up in a wombat hole near the top.
Sam chose to go back and have another go, he gets lined up and gives it a little right foot starts to climb, bounces from one rut into a hole and BANG!! both tyres pointing toward each other and the BRAND new "heavy-duty" tie rod has snapped and the car is in a crap spot.

So we break out the winch to secure the car from rolling back down the hill while we try and do some bush mechanics.
I remembered seeing a pic of a ring spanner being used as a fix for just this problem.
Turns out Jayson has just the ring spanner we need.

and its enough to get it into place using the existing ball joint ends to secure it so we could then slowly and steadily limp the D22 out, with allot of winching.

BUT thats not all, before we could begin our winching journey Sam didnt see a tree behind him and SMASH got the tail gate and smashed the glass on the canopies rear lifting door.

after a slow trip out to get to the tar we meet up with a guy that none of us new that had brought out a complete tie rod assembly from over 1.5hrs away,
Sam put out a call on a Facebook site for anyone that had a tie rod and would be willing to help.

What a legend this guy was, he came out after work and totally out of his way to help out a complete stranger, left us with the part after helping to put it in refused any money on a promise from Sam that he would replace the part and grab him a case of cans.
What a legend!!

Sam got the part and drove home in a safe car with no probs.

Great write up - it's good to see people who helps out. Lucky samcubus got sorted.
I wished I didn't have this foot problem. Next time I'll definitely come out

Yeah what a day! Apart from the repairs still needed I had a great time and it just shows how good the 4wd community is these days. Peter (tie rod) will be receiving a replacement and beer for his troubles. What a top bloke!

Next mod, good quality rear bar. Lol

Yeah what a day! Apart from the repairs still needed I had a great time and it just shows how good the 4wd community is these days. Peter (tie rod) will be receiving a replacement and beer for his troubles. What a top bloke!

Next mod, good quality rear bar. Lol

Next time we will bring you a chair mate, so you dont have to sit in the dirt while you watch us work on your car!! :ha:

Something wrong here

Attachments

• 20140927_105543 - Copy.jpg
    20140927_105543 - Copy.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 53
Something wrong here

Yeah Sam actually had the jack in his hand!! pmsl!!

Oh you meant the wheels pointing like CRAZY EYES!!

you cant see it in the pic but behind the rear wheels of the D22 it dropped away quite rapidly

Had a great day.
It is allways bad when someone breaks something but we came together and got the car going again so it wasnt stranded in the bush for nice people to wreck.

Latest posts

Back