Which bank you with and why?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked for Westpac for 11 years back in the 80s and 90s. I worked for St George / Bank of Melbourne for 2 years up until April this year. With my background, i can safely say that all banks are the same. They are managed and driven by the shareholders, or more correctly, the share price. I now work for a indepedently owned finance broking firm and its nice to have the banks sucking up to us!

I spread my banking around. My home loan is ME (Members equity), who I have found good and no fees to recently re-arrange our loan and fix the rate on some of it, transaction account is with Westpac, again no fees, and savings account with ING, who have never charged fees.

I used to have a super account with ING and they were a fairly bad performer, but I think that's cause Billy Connolly charged them too much and they had to take his pay cheque from somewhere. :big_smile:

I've been with Member's Equity since I got out (about 12 years now). Would definitely recommend them to anyone. They have been great.

You need to have money in a participating Super fund to join them but most do (Comsuper is ok).

oh and we have a mortgage with nab and all the other accounts with them as well, Where i use to live they were the only bank with a branch

I'll second Bullwinkle's comments that they are all the same. Sometimes your (you & the banks) needs match {SWEET}, but most times they don't.

As a wee tacker, I started with The Commonwealth Bank with my halfpenny deposits each week when the bank staff actually came around to your school. Gave that passbook account up when I left school. Switched to the Bank of NSW as they had a branch in our suburb and offered better interest on term deposits. That became the Wales and then Westpac(?).

When we were married, we found a little starter house that we wanted to buy and went bank shopping.

First NAB as The Boss banked there and her daddy had done so before her. That was shove off as we are not doing home loans atm. So she no longer banks there.

So we go to Westpac and the fact that The Boss kept her own name pissed him(the acting branch manager) off and he said No. He pissed The Boss off so much that she wrote a letter of complaint and the next thing we know is he was selling used cars down the road from where we were looking to buy.

Hmm, stumped, let's try around the corner at St George Building Society. Go for the interview and ask for $XK and um he starts going "are you sure" and we are thinking Oh Crap, not them tooo, but he continues "You can have $6XK*. Quick conflab and No Thank You, just the $XK will be fine thank you. Turned out to be a very wise move as interest rates hit 17% a year later. We both moved our accounts to there.

They came to the party when we wanted to rejig the home loan to withdraw a pile of our advanced payments to firstly do up the bathroom and then finally the kitchen. If i remember correctly, they were the first to do that.

Along the way they changed to a bank, then floated themselves. I think I got a 5c refund on my members share of $20(?), the bastards. So I made them pay it out to me.

Along the way, the business account was set up at Westpac as St George didn't do business accounts then. Also, Westpac now charge a smaller fee for our business account, than the fee they (StG) rorted out of our original home loan account and a community group account that I managed there($800 bucks up the spout there).

When it was time to buy an investment property, St George said they were not interested in investment properties, so we approached NRMA building society and they were happy to loan us the money. When NRMA was shafted by their self serving board members, that was sold to HSBC so they could have an Australian Banking licence(sp?).

They were quiet happy recently to rejig the principal& interest loan to an interest only loan (max credit at the inflated original amount) so we could do some work (new kitchen) on the investment property and whatever else we want to write a cheque for.

Hint there where we have taken our vehicle loans from.

The Boss also has a Credit Union accounts, which she is happy with. You have to be or have been one to join it, so i won't mention it.

So no Australian bank has ever loaned us money, so screw them.

I'm with the NAB. I've been with them for years. I've tried a couple of other banks but I always seem to keep going back to them.

Cheers Mick.

I've got the majority of my small business finance with ANZ/Esanda (different parts of the same group) but some with Commonwealth and some with Westpac.

I find ANZ the easiest to deal with because they have a business banking centre in Bendigo that's separate to the consumer bank so no lining up and the account managers are easier to talk to.

That's not something Westpac or Commonwealth do around here.

NAB and Bendigo Bank (the other 2 banks with local branches) have never submitted a successful equipment finance quote to us so I can't comment about their service but their interest rates and fees haven't been as attractive as the other 3.

I worked for Westpac for 11 years back in the 80s and 90s. I worked for St George / Bank of Melbourne for 2 years up until April this year. With my background, i can safely say that all banks are the same. They are managed and driven by the shareholders, or more correctly, the share price. I now work for a indepedently owned finance broking firm and its nice to have the banks sucking up to us!

I spread my banking around. My home loan is ME (Members equity), who I have found good and no fees to recently re-arrange our loan and fix the rate on some of it, transaction account is with Westpac, again no fees, and savings account with ING, who have never charged fees.

i probably know u bullwinkle....

I am also with WP. Only chose them because work is with WP and my pay is in my account 2 hours after they do the pays. Never had any problems so cant complain i guess. They are still ****s. I get car insurance through dads broker though.

Im with W/Pac too, moved over from NAB about 2 years ago.

Both were good, but W/Pac seem to do all of the right things and have yet to have a problem.

ANZ and just about to change there interest is always higher then everyone else $10 monthly fees on all accounts and recently i went in to up the home loan to clear a few debts and do some work on house they told me 3days il have the money3 weeks later 5 messages left in person because the bloke i was dealing with had a customer they finally tell me they had been asked for my statements and sent them that day(the statements i gave them 3 weeks prior) and i will have a definite answer within 24hours that was last Friday so i have decided they can go and get themselves F###ED

cant speak highly enough of ANZ,
found $500 missing form my account today,
stolen in $100 amounts
anz have a fraud return policy so its a matter of waiting for the new card and the reimbursement

i never really had a problem just put money in then took it out paid the mortgage/ fees and charges as everyone does with any bank till now when i finally want some customer service and there is none might be just my branch as i spoke to a bloke last week that had just closed all his accounts with them because of customer service

Latest posts

Back