Which Engine ????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4runna

Reaction score
Hi, I am after some advise, I currently own a 4Runner which I am looking at trading in on a D22.
I have been trying to find engine specs to compare the ZD30 against the newer 2.5ltr but I cant seem to locate it.
I have never owned a diesel but I am keen to purchase the 3ltr.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find as much info I can on engines in question?
1 big question.... which is the better engine?

Thanks

There isn't much in it, the ZD30 is a direct injected motor with a electronic injection pump.

Standard power and torque anre 110kw and 314Nm.

The YD25DDTI is a common rail motor and makes 98kw and 310Nm I think off the top of my head.

I have a ZD30DDT powered D22 and it serves me well.

The ZD30 will make a fraction bit more torque down low.

I have only driven a YD25 powered D22 unloaded so cant comment on how they go loaded. Wouldn't be much in it anyway.

As for the YD25 blow ups. Thats a UK thing, the YD25DDTI non CRD which Australia never got.

Early ZD30's aren't known for there reliablity either, but mainly 2000 model GU Patrols.

What Dave said...

I have an 05 D22 3lt. Tows 3t no worries at all... 220,000kms and still going strong...

For the price i dont think you can go past the D22...

zd30's are also nicknamed "grenade zd30" because so many have blown holes through the pistons. however thats mostly in the patrol/teranno which has more power than the navara version and also has a problematic control system. however early ones (2000-2003) are more prone to blowing than later ones INCLUDING the navara version.
nissan has never officially said what the fault(s) are.

Hi, I am after some advise, I currently own a 4Runner which I am looking at trading in on a D22.
I have been trying to find engine specs to compare the ZD30 against the newer 2.5ltr but I cant seem to locate it.
I have never owned a diesel but I am keen to purchase the 3ltr.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction to find as much info I can on engines in question?
1 big question.... which is the better engine?

Thanks

I'd go the 3L. Having owned a Navara D40 and now steering a Patrol, I'm finding the ZD30 a more user friendly engine.

+1 for the 3.0lt ZD30. not only do you get a great motor, but the actual car around it is made in Japan compared to the 2.5lt from Thailand (apart from the early ones - pays to check). The Japanese ones are better put together based on peoples discussions here.

The 2.5CRs are able to develop seemingly high power compared to the ZD30 as the common rail enables better atomisation & more equal injection per cylinder of the fuel and is more efficient at translating fuel into power(something like 60% efficient vs only 40-50% for the non CR). All diesels will eventually be common rail injected.

Good luck with your purchase.

^ The YD25 powered D22's with the same tailgate as the ZD30 model are made in Japan also.

The ones with the same tailgate as the series 1 D22 are made in Thailand.

Thanks for your replies,

Still a little undecided as a guy here at work keeps trying to steer me towards the 2.5ltr ( because they get up and go a bit sooner...! ) even though he has just purchased a brand new Triton !!!, I have been looking around at varoius car yards and privetly but am finding it hard to find what i am after.
After 1 with a canopy as we have 2 border collies that like to travel with us, snorkle, lights and maybe a 2in lift. With a hopefull chance of fitting a 3in dump pipe and exhaust at a later date.
Also hopefully with low mileage as well.

Cheers for your help so far guys.

Tony

Back