Who's been to LOVEDAY?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVR

Reaction score
I've been thinking of trying Loveday out as a camping holiday. My family love roughing it by the River. We used to go to HOGWASH by Waikerie but the last few times we went there we were over run by ferals on dirtbikes and public access crown land is dissapearing fast.
So who's been to loveday camping? Can you get a caravan to the river? Is it quiet or feral? Do they allow campfires? longdrops?

Got any other quiet spots on the river you care to share?

c,mon, give us your opinions.

Gday,

Loveday is good, been there a few times, watchiing competitions and been on the self-drive 4wd tracks. I havent as yet been camping on the river side, but if you call 4wd tours,loveday 4x4 adventures,4wd adventure park South Australia. 4wd park,4x4 park Riverland,Barmera,4wd Adelaide,4x4 track Mud driving,camping,South Australia,Sandhills,2hrs from Adelaide, they will let you know you about your caravan.

Other places to stay on the river I enjoy is Morgan and Cobdogla near loveday.
Morgan has an old quarry and there are tracks behind the quarry which are good, the caravan park is really close too.
Cobdogla has a caravan park, but push on a little further and there is camping along side the river. But check with local council. It's been a few years since I have been camping there.

Last edited:
I have only been to loveday for the 4x4 challenge, which is pretty feral, but thats the idea. Haven't camped by the river there. Big Bend is a pretty good spot, get your mobile old folks home in there no worries!

I've been thinking of trying Loveday out as a camping holiday. My family love roughing it by the River. We used to go to HOGWASH by Waikerie but the last few times we went there we were over run by ferals on dirtbikes and public access crown land is dissapearing fast.
So who's been to loveday camping? Can you get a caravan to the river? Is it quiet or feral? Do they allow campfires? longdrops?

Got any other quiet spots on the river you care to share?

c,mon, give us your opinions.

Been there a few times with mate and I love the place.
Camped up near the Tavern each time, but I have seen others take caravans down to the river sites. Not sure on costs for them either but it's only $50 per car over Easter to camp near the Tavern.
Feral=No
Campfires=Yes :D
Check it out, but I don't recommend going down during one of the events unless u are def going purely for it. I went down for the last Mud, dust & Music weekend and was informed after paying $30pp that all the tracks were closed :/

Gday,...................

Other places to stay on the river I enjoy is Morgan and Cobdogla near loveday.
Morgan has an old quarry and there are tracks behind the quarry which are good, the caravan park is really close too.
Cobdogla has a caravan park, but push on a little further and there is camping along side the river. But check with local council. It's been a few years since I have been camping there.
Thanks Thunda, I've seen Cobdogla but forgot all about it thanks!!

I have only been to loveday for the 4x4 challenge, which is pretty feral, but thats the idea. Haven't camped by the river there. Big Bend is a pretty good spot, get your mobile old folks home in there no worries!

Old folks home???!!! Now look here young fella, when I was a lad we were brought up to have a little more respect..... Oh crap I think I just turned into my father!!!!
Been to Big Bend a couple of times. Liked the bit up stream at the end of the track.

I feel your pain about Hogwash bend!!!
Yeah, it used to be that people went to the river, FOR THE RIVER. Not to tear up and down the track on trail bikes. I wouldnt mind so much if they went into the backwater areas away from the campsites but these turkeys (and there were multiple groups of them) had not concept of personal space and were all around us on the sand bar from sunup to sundown, covering us, the caravan, the BBQ, EVERYTHING in dust. One family a few camps down continually sent their kids up to use our toilet without asking when we werent looking. Then this Idiot in a Winnebago or something, with a DUNE BUGGY on a trailer turned up after dark and unpacked his home stereo and generator. No kidding the speakers were Full on DJ stuff. And there was only 3 of them. At around 2am, I really lost it and had a piece of them. They shut up after that but we packed up and left in the morning and haven't been back since. That was about 2 years ago. It's a shame how selfish people can stuff it up for everybody.

I went down for the last Mud, dust & Music weekend and was informed after paying $30pp that all the tracks were closed :/
That would suck but the rest sounds good.

Thanks all for the replys guys:top:

Any others?

Yeh ive been camping there, and its a great spot! Im pretty sure bikes arent allowed there, and the campsites arent feral anyway. Fires are allowed, but you cant collect firewood from there, you either have to take your own, or you can buy a fruit bin full for $50 from there.

Not sure about longdrops, but there is like 15 toilets at the taverm, and showers.

When they have events there like MDM, you can only stay at the campsites at the tavern, and cant go to the 4x4 tracks or the river campsites.

To camp on the river its $60 for the first night, and $10 for each night after that, which gives you access to all the 4x4 tracks. Even the beer and spirits at the tavern is a reasonable price.

I highly recommend the river campsites, they arent too close together, so you cant see the other sites around you, and its a good spot of river there to.
I'll be planning another trip there very soon hopefully! :big_smile:

I went to love day a few months ago and it was fantastic. It was just a regular self drive weekend and there was 42 cars there by saturday night. There is apsoluitly everything there for 4x4 Driving.. Some touring tracks, Some Hardcore hill climbs and the park that is just man made piles of dirt and holes 40ft deep and only 10ft wide with vertical walls either side and sloppy mud at the bottem and even some big soft as sand hills to hoon around on and have some fun! Plus the best part of it all is that your very close to the Tavern and if anything happens its just a call up on his mobile and hell bring out one of his massive rigs or the Front end loader and get you out no matter what.

Tony is the guys name who runs the place, hes an apsolute champ. Hes out there early moring always willing to help out and give you some advice. Hes there until midnight in the bar serving people drinks and having a good chat. He gladly shows you everything hes working on and some on the amazing builds he has done and is in the middle of.

When we were there someone from another group snapped a control arm on their patrol. He lent them his arsenal of tools and some spare steel and they welded it back up on the saturday night and they were good to go sunday morning again.

The camping is amazing, all along the river with fishing allowed and room for about 20 - 30 cars in each camping spot.

If you think there isnt much touring tracks out there or theyre going to be a bit boring.. you will be pleasently suprised. the touring tracks have some very technical sections and alot of ups and down.. all man made and alot of fun. also it will take a good 4 - 5 hrs to do every part of the many touring tracks.

If anyone is keen for a trip up there soon i will be very keen to join in. After its been dry for a bit the better because some of the mud there doesnt dry out.

Latest posts

Back