Winch for D22 - no bullbar removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteV

Reaction score
OK guys here goes, sorry if this has been asked before. I really don't want to stuff around with having to remove my bullbar and in January (birthday time!!) will be in a position to add my next mod to the D22 - a winch.

My question - I am looking for a winch that I can install to the bar without having to remove it. I am looking for solid advice from people who know or those who have done so themselves. The specs are as follows: D22 ST-R 2012 model (bought new) with genuine Nissan bulbar.

As far as the winch is concerned, looking at a dyneema 12000lbs from 4WD supacentre or something like that. Don't quite have the cash for a Warn or the more exxy brands. It may be a case of choosing the winch to suit my purpose. I know of one bloke with my exact model car and bulbar who put on a Trex winch without bar removal, seen them on EBay but don't know much about them.

Thanks in advance.

A winch is fairly easy to fit up on your D22 with a steel bar
Remove your factory front plate and you can get it in without removing bar
Most cheaper winches are good enuff for us weekend warriors
Cheers

dont know what the other cheaper brand warranties are like but i bought a runva. 5yr warranty on electrics and lifetime on mechanical. was around $630 i think. pretty good value and plenty of good reviews on them

OK guys here goes, sorry if this has been asked before. I really don't want to stuff around with having to remove my bullbar and in January (birthday time!!) will be in a position to add my next mod to the D22 - a winch.

My question - I am looking for a winch that I can install to the bar without having to remove it. I am looking for solid advice from people who know or those who have done so themselves. The specs are as follows: D22 ST-R 2012 model (bought new) with genuine Nissan bulbar.

As far as the winch is concerned, looking at a dyneema 12000lbs from 4WD supacentre or something like that. Don't quite have the cash for a Warn or the more exxy brands. It may be a case of choosing the winch to suit my purpose. I know of one bloke with my exact model car and bulbar who put on a Trex winch without bar removal, seen them on EBay but don't know much about them.

Thanks in advance.

I just want to know if you actually CAN put a 12,000lb winch on a standard nissan bar. I think I saw somewhere you can't go over 9,000lb winch. Someone please clarify this for me.

Unless its a actual space issue i cannot see the problem as you d22 still weights the same with a 12000lb or a 9000lb winch.im sure a 9000lb is sufficient for a d22 and d40.the ones ive seen olny diffrence between the winches is the internal gearing..12000lb is super slow where the 9000lb is much faster to respool.

Runva here aswell. i dont have one but it is my winch of choice. a well built winch and has great reviews. at only $649(most companies do specials with a free winch recovery kit) and its reviews, build quality, warranty etc its hard ot go past.

Lucky fo rus D22 owners we can fit our winches without removing our barwork(genuine bar). Just remove the fornt bashplate and slide the winch up from underneath. a second set of hands is always helpful to put the bolts in but can be done solo with some fidlling and adrenalin :D

Also my brother runs a KingOne Premier Winch and it has done some serious work. Dragged a GQ buried to the axles and broken down out of a soft mudhole. It sounded fine and yes it heated up but hasnt had any issues since.

Rusty

I fitted mine by just removing the bash plate. Then couldn't work out where to put the control box so pulled the bugger out. Will be pretty good at it by the time it is in and running.

I have a d40 with arb bar. Same thing i fitted a runva 11xp by meyself with just removing the bash plate
:) runva is value for money i paid 650 and that was with snatch block lol snatch block.... And the offset fairlead to suit my arb bar.

The box will stick out from the bullbar if I put it between the spotties. The leads are too short if I put it there so if I have to extend the leads I was gunna put it in front of the radiator.

Do I need to put a fuse in the positive lead

Do I need to put a fuse in the positive lead

Probably a good idea, just in case.
Battery -isolation switch - fuse- winch is my intention.

Does anyone know of a mountable isolation switch?
The model I purchased from Jaycar can not be mounted without having to insolate the mounting bolts

I'd be weary of having an isolation switch on the positive feed, unless it can handle sustained loads of over 500a. Most switches can spike to 1000a or so, but only for 10 seconds at a time. Winches can draw sometimes more than 500a and if you are stuck and using it a lot it won't take much to overload the isolator. As for a fuse, if you run the cabling where it won't rub on anything under the bonnet, you should be fine. I haven't got any fusing on the feed to mine and have an isolator on small earth wire from the solenoid box that normally earths on the body of the winch. Never had any problems with it like that. I believe the tigerz11 winches have an inline isolator which is on the positive cable, but most of them just have straight cables.

There is another thread that says no to the fuse, due to the current draw. But a couple reckon to put a switch just so power isn't running to the control box full time.

So I ended up getting a Runva XP11, heard a fair few good things about them. Leads weren't overly long and ended up putting the control box in-between my HID spotties on the bullbar. The solenoid is advertised as 100% waterproof on the Runva website. What's everyone's thoughts on these? I usually do river crossings when I go out and there's no doubt I'm gonna wash water over the box. Has anyone had any trouble with water causing issues? Has anyone ever stalled mid-river and had the box below the waterline? Cheers.

dont now how many different frequencies there are out there for the wireless remotes but i fitted an isolator because i didnt want to be sitting somewhere watching someone winch themselves out and then have my winch start up

Latest posts

Back