Wire colours spotlight

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tas_richo

Reaction score
Hi all.

Was just wondering if anyone had a factory wiring diagram diagram or could have a look for me and tell me how everything is wired up to the relay etc...

I've got 3 wires running in each "loom" from the spotlights to the relay. Red, yellow and black.

Black is ground
Red is power I'm assuming
Yellow has been cut and I've got NFI what it is or if it should go anywhere....

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Evan

Since there's no loom for spotlights from factory it's all custom and we just gotta go back to basics.

So it works pretty much like this (so that it's legal): You flip a switch inside the cabin which enables a relay out the front. Out the front, high beam activates the relay and passes power directly from the battery to the spotlights. That's the end of the simple, now let's pull it apart.

Inside: only has to be an earth point to one side of a switch, and the other side of the switch is a single wire running out to the relay in the engine bay, preferable somewhere close to where the two spotlights are or at least between the battery and those lights. Not too far from there, anyway.

Relay: Can only turn on if pins 85 and 86 are oppositely polarised (this is important for some models, see note 1 below) and active. This means putting positive 12V to pin 85 does nothing if pin 86 is not earthed and that's where the wire coming from inside the cabin joins to. Pin 85 should connect to the HIGH BEAM wire going to one of your headlights (see note 2 below). Pin 30 should have a heavy wire connected to it and the other end has a suitable fuse (say 30A for a pair of 130W lights) and connect directly to the positive battery terminal. Pin 87 should head to both driving lights (red wire) along with a direct chassis or battery negative feed as well (black wire).

Hope that helps.

Note 1: some newer cars don't use constant positive-positive-ground on their H4 globe inputs. The only way to fire driving lights off these is to plug both pins 85 and 86 onto the HIGH/EARTH pins of the H4 globe and run the output of the relay to pin 85 on another relay, which has pin 86 connected to your earth-on switch in on your console. The output of this second relay goes to the driving lights.

Note 2: H4 socket (wire side) looks like this usually. For the globes to work it's pretty hard to wire 'em up differently anyway! This isn't from a Navara, I just found it on a site and it's not too bad.

attachment.php

Attachments

• H4_socket_wiring2.jpg
    H4_socket_wiring2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 298
Had a look at the "factory fitted" ones on mine, but there is no yellow wire. Should be easy enough to work out though (assuming one or both of us aren't colour blind, and they are wired the same way, which could be a big assumption lol). Pins 1 and 2 on the "Nissan" relay are the relay coil (when energised makes the relay close). The wire that goes to pin 1 has 12V on it only when the lights are on with high beam selected, and the separate spotlight switch is on. If you have a meter, this should be easy to check. Pin 2 goes to chassis/-ve.

There are different possibilities eg pin 1 might be wired to have 12V when high beam is on, with pin 2 going to -ve via switch. Depends who wired it. At any rate, 2 wires will operate relay, 2 supply power, 2 go out to lights.

Of the other four wires two have 12V all the time and go to pins 7 and 5. Then (via the internal contacts) wires from pins 6 and 3 then go to each lamp. It doesn't matter which way you put these as long as you don't put the wires with 12V both on the same set of contacts. It also doesn't look like polarity across the relay coil matters.

eta.
Red - pin 1.
Black - pin 2
Orange (x 2) - pins 7 and 5
White (x 2) - pins 6 and 3.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back