WreckDiver1321's American D40 Frontier

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a word of advice, if you ever plan to do any water crossings, those areas behind your tail lights generally fill up with water as you exit the water. Generally people run diff breathers into their engine bay, way longer to run piping I know, but is the safer option.

Then the schedule got packed and I didn't have an opportunity to see much or go many places. Winter fell, I got back to working, and times got pretty busy. But then the modding bug bit again when I found a local classified ad for an ARB front bar at a fantastic price. So I bought it and had it installed by the shop selling it for less than the bar would have cost me.

A few weeks later, the bar proved it's worth when a deer jumped in front of me during a blizzard. There is one less deer in the world, but there is absolutely no damage to the truck or the bumper.

Just a word of advice, if you ever plan to do any water crossings, those areas behind your tail lights generally fill up with water as you exit the water. Generally people run diff breathers into their engine bay, way longer to run piping I know, but is the safer option.

You make a good point. I almost never see water deep enough for that to happen, but that is certainly something I will give some thought to. Might have to think about extending it further up now.

Last edited:
G'day Tommy,
Thanks for going to the effort of putting up all those great photos, and welcome to the forum....

Last edited:
So the next thing up on the list was suspension. I had originally planned to go with the OME HD on the front with MD leaf packs in the rear. After doing some research and finding the lift with the mods I wanted would only be 1.5 inches (40mm), I was looking at other options. I wanted something really low maintenance that I could set to 2 inches (50mm) if I wanted to. Theoretically I could go with the OME and put a spacer in, but I found another option in the form of the Nisstec adjustable coilover.

Nisstec is an American company that specializes in suspension components for Nissan 4x4s. The Nisstec coilover is essentially a Bilstein 5100 with a threaded collar to accept an adjustable spring perch like any other adjustable coilover. It uses Eibach springs like other performance coilovers, but I like the fact that the shocks are user-replaceable and use actual bushings instead of heims. Remember, this is a long distance travel vehicle as well as a daily driver, so comfort and easily replaceable parts are the most important things for me to consider when thinking about aftermarket upgrades. The Nisstec fits the bill perfectly. The guys at Nisstec were awesome to deal with and gave me tons of information.

Since it would have cost me much more, I didn't end up buying the rear setup yet. I just bought the Nisstec adjustable shackles as a temporary leveling device.

I took before pics and measurements.

Center of hub to wheel arch measurements, pre-lift
FRONT (left and right): 49.5 cm
REAR (left and right): 52.4 cm

This was literally the easiest suspension install I have ever done. I was actually pretty surprised, but the whole lift only took me about three hours.

I was very impressed with the quality of the Nisstec setup. Great fit and finish.

Didn't have to disconnect the UCA from the spindle. Just removed the old strut assembly and installed the new coilover.

The rear took a bit more effort. I ended up needing to use the factory scissor jack to lower the springs enough to install the new shackles.

But I got it done eventually.

After a couple test drives to get the springs to settle, I was done.

Center of hub to wheel arch measurements, post-lift
FRONT (left and right): 54.5 cm - 49.2mm of lift (backed off .8mm from 50mm to prevent shock topping out. Yes, it really does make a difference.)
REAR (left and right): 58.1 cm - 57mm of lift

Absolutely loving this thread mate. Awesome to see pics of a car almost the same as mine, but from another country! Keep the photos coming! They a fantastic.

Absolutely loving this thread mate. Awesome to see pics of a car almost the same as mine, but from another country! Keep the photos coming! They a fantastic.

Hey thanks mate. Good to hear other people are liking my photos!

Haha I get the same feeling from looking at builds on this site! Same car, different country. Pretty soon, people will really think it's the same car! I just ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAVARA-LOGO-EMBLEMS-BADGE-REAR-BACK-NISSAN-NAVARA-D40-05-13-D21-D22-D23-PICKUP-/281444082133?hash=item41875fe1d5&vxp=mtr

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hey thanks mate. Good to hear other people are liking my photos!

Haha I get the same feeling from looking at builds on this site! Same car, different country. Pretty soon, people will really think it's the same car! I just ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAVARA-LOGO-EMBLEMS-BADGE-REAR-BACK-NISSAN-NAVARA-D40-05-13-D21-D22-D23-PICKUP-/281444082133?hash=item41875fe1d5&vxp=mtr

Cheers.

HAHAHA HE'S GONE FOR THE NAVARA BADGES!!!! Hahah love it!!!

I wish those Frontier roof bars were available here in Aus. They look mint!

HAHAHA HE'S GONE FOR THE NAVARA BADGES!!!! Hahah love it!!!

I wish those Frontier roof bars were available here in Aus. They look mint!

Haha thought you guys would like that. I'm on an ongoing quest to make my truck look like it just drove out of the Australian bush. :biggrin:

I actually plan on replacing the factory bars with a flat utility rack. Should be pretty cool looking once I get it made. I might be able to be persuaded into shipping them off haha

Haha thought you guys would like that. I'm on an ongoing quest to make my truck look like it just drove out of the Australian bush. :biggrin:

I actually plan on replacing the factory bars with a flat utility rack. Should be pretty cool looking once I get it made. I might be able to be persuaded into shipping them off haha

Id buy but i hate waiting for items for my car! If i decide to buy, i need to have them there and then haha.

Thanks for your pics and time WreckDiver and Welcome.

As it turns out Montana would have to be my favorite U.S. State mainly for just the sear diversity of Landscape.

Good to see pics of the Bear-tooth rd. Something I really wanted to do but in 2012 there was some early snow and told us it was very unlikely to open as it would probably close in a couple of weeks anyway.

Nice truck by the way.

Id buy but i hate waiting for items for my car! If i decide to buy, i need to have them there and then haha.

Tell you what, I'll send you some roof bars, you just send me the 2.5 TD. Or a Kaymar bar. We'll call it even. :biggrin:

Thanks for your pics and time WreckDiver and Welcome.

As it turns out Montana would have to be my favorite U.S. State mainly for just the sear diversity of Landscape.

Good to see pics of the Bear-tooth rd. Something I really wanted to do but in 2012 there was some early snow and told us it was very unlikely to open as it would probably close in a couple of weeks anyway.

Nice truck by the way.

Yes, Montana is a beautiful place, that's for sure. Even today, I'm still discovering things that wow me to the core. I'll tell you, there's nothing better than touring through the back roads of the western Montana mountains with a tent and a good set of fishing gear.

The Beartooths are amazing. We might not have the tallest mountains in the States, but the Beartooths are the most rugged and wild of the bunch, excluding Alaska. Funny you mention snow. There's always snow up there haha. I remember there was a lot in 2012, but I've never once been up there when it wasn't snowing at the top. Doesn't matter how warm it is. I've driven up there when it was 40*c at the bottom of the valley, and there was a blizzard going on at the top. Those mountains make their own climate.

Thanks for the welcome, Tappet. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back