YD25 EGR cleaning (not blanking)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navie8

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker first time poster. Like most people here with theses utes mine blows a fair bit of smoke. Recently though it has started going nuts and it looks like there is a bushfire following me around as i drive. I'm going to blank the EGR soon (and there seems to be heaps of info on here about doing that).

One thing I am struggling to find a "how to" guide is about cleaning the EGR valve and piping etc. Can anyone who has done this tell me how difficult this is/let me know how I actually go about doing this?

Any and all help is appreciated. I drive an 08 DX YD25 4x4.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard!

If you're blocking the intake side there's little to worry about on the other side, but the intake manifold (courtesy of the EGR and PCV) could require some serious attention.

The SAFEST (for your engine) way to do that is to remove the intake manifold. There's absolutely NO way I'd be tempted to spray a cleaner down the guts and crank the engine over. I know the stuff that's in there SHOULD have been combusted eons ago but in its congealed state I'd hate to think what it could do to the cylinder, or the turbine, or even the CAT.

You could try sponging it from the end of the intake, but it'd take a while. I know someone from here has cleaned theirs but they had taken the manifold off.

Hey Navie8,

I removed my manifold to clean it, however I have the ZD30 engine so I am not sure how it would compare with your common rail type. I found it pretty easy considering I thought it was going to be a daunting task when I first started, took about 3-4 hours to get it off and then I let it soak in degreaser before giving it a scrub, so you'll need the best part of the day to remove, soak, degrease/scrub and then re-fit the manifold. Here is the how-to guide I did up for my engine if you are interested in looking http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=25427

I am not sure if I am making it up in my head but a lot of the new yd25 engine navaras seem to blow a hell of a lot more smoke than the older ZD30 type, mine blew little to no smoke before I cleaned my manifold and blanked my EGR, now I am lead to believe it doesn't blow any smoke. And as a plus my oil stays so much cleaner (my last lot of delo 400 has done about 2500kms and it's about as clean as the day I put it in). Before blocking my EGR and manifold cleaning it took about 500kms to turn black.

my yd25 didn't blow any smoke, I reckon the zd30 choofs more soot than a yd25 with blocked egr

My 06 zd30 d22 blows no smoke at all. The onky time ive ever seen it is revving the box of it trying to get out of soft sand in low range. Was pretty black so could have well been unburnt diesel

Still have to get around to blanking the EGR on my D22 ZD30 (it's at the top of my to do list!).

Shes done 182xxxkms.

Is cleaning the intake necessary as well or is it more for piece of mind on top of the EGR blank?

I don't know that it's vital to the operation of the motor. It's still running right now, chances are it's got some gunk in there but obviously the car is not suffering badly.

Digging up old thread,

Finally got around to fitting catch can, when installing I could see heaps of the oily gunk in the pipes ect so obviously it's right through the entire intake, has anyone cleaned the intake or got a shop todo it for them? I'm defiantly not going to use any sprays down the manifold as I don't want that shit going into the cylinders. Keen to know if anyone has bothered to get it done.

Oh yd25 and have done all the usual stuff exhaust, Egr block, catch can and up to 120k now

Latest posts

Back