yd25 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubasteve

Reaction score
Gday guys
I have a 2011 yd25 and for the last 30 000 ks its been making a weird clanging noise when it starts cold. It makes it for a little while then warms up and disappears. Its matched to the engine revs so I got nissan to check and adjust all the belts each time I got it serviced. It woukd go quiet for a week then come back again. I did some research and found it could be the timing chain which is obviously a big deal. On my recent 100 000 service nissan declined to do anything under warrananty as it was technically out of the warranty period and that it would cost 2300 for them to fix it. Im wandering if anyone else has had the problem and if it really is the timing chain and if so was it cheaper than 2300 to fix? Or is it likely to be something else?
Cheers
Steve

If you search around on here mate for timing chains you will find heaps of info.

100,000km is probably a little early for a timing chain but still possible.

$2300 is cheap, my Mechanic said $2500 and that's at mates rates, Nissan usually charge $3000 i hear.

You can just get it inspected for around $600

As for it being a case of mistaken diagnosis, not sure you'll have to speak to some more D40 owners

Mine had a similar noise to what you describe. Did it for 6 months and was worse in the cold winter mornings. At first I thought timing chain but at the time it only had 65,000km and the noise just didn't sound quite right to be chains. Adjusted the belts which changed the noise but it didn't go away, replaced the belts........about to turn over 100,000km and not a noise since replacing the belts.I know the chains do give trouble but sometimes I wonder if some are to quick to replace chains when it may be as simple as replacing the belts.

I'd agree with the above. If it was the chain the noise wouldn't go away... The d40s definitely have an issue with timing chains, but I haven't heard of any d22s having the same problems.... I have however, heard of the belts causing a similar type of noise due to shrinking in the cold and causing too much tension on the pulleys. Change them first and you may be surprised.....

Gday guys
I have a 2011 yd25 and for the last 30 000 ks its been making a weird clanging noise when it starts cold. It makes it for a little while then warms up and disappears. Its matched to the engine revs so I got nissan to check and adjust all the belts each time I got it serviced. It woukd go quiet for a week then come back again. I did some research and found it could be the timing chain which is obviously a big deal. On my recent 100 000 service nissan declined to do anything under warrananty as it was technically out of the warranty period and that it would cost 2300 for them to fix it. Im wandering if anyone else has had the problem and if it really is the timing chain and if so was it cheaper than 2300 to fix? Or is it likely to be something else?
Cheers
Steve

I had a similar noise in my D40, obviously I was worried and having just clicked over 110000 it was out of warranty. I wanted it checked and forced the issue, nissans reply was they would strip it down take it out and inspect it and take pics send them away and then decide if it was to be replaced under warranty. I let them know if it was to be replaced i would push for a warranty claim as it had been exclusively serviced by the same dealer since new and the issue I had raised with the noise BEFORE the warranty ran out.

The outcome was pleasent, new timing chain installed. Though after talking to the workshop manager (A bloke I know personally) he said the chain itself was still good and the guides were slighlty worn the noise they believed was coming from the chain as the hydraulic tensioner was taking its time to fully tension the chain. So this is what the noise you are getting could be. If i was you I would do the same, push it as it is a known issue and if you like me had it serviced there all the time they might come to the party.

cheers
Matt

Mine had a similar noise to what you describe. Did it for 6 months and was worse in the cold winter mornings. At first I thought timing chain but at the time it only had 65,000km and the noise just didn't sound quite right to be chains. Adjusted the belts which changed the noise but it didn't go away, replaced the belts........about to turn over 100,000km and not a noise since replacing the belts.I know the chains do give trouble but sometimes I wonder if some are to quick to replace chains when it may be as simple as replacing the belts.

How much is a set of belts? My uncle is a diesel fitter and im still waiting to her back from him about his diagnosis but he can fit new belts which is probably worth doing anyway. I have read a fair bit aboit the tensioner taking its time to build oil pressure up to tension the chain so raplacing the oil to a better quality thinner one might be a go too. Ive been waiting for so long to get out of warranty from nissan so I can start using products that I want rather than offical parts from nissan as they cost an arm and a leg

How much is a set of belts? My uncle is a diesel fitter and im still waiting to her back from him about his diagnosis but he can fit new belts which is probably worth doing anyway. I have read a fair bit aboit the tensioner taking its time to build oil pressure up to tension the chain so raplacing the oil to a better quality thinner one might be a go too. Ive been waiting for so long to get out of warranty from nissan so I can start using products that I want rather than offical parts from nissan as they cost an arm and a leg

Don't remember what they cost,got the wife to order them & never saw the invoice.Probably average $20 each at a guess but a cheap fix if thats all it is.Not to hard to do just the A/C belt is a bit of a pain as you have to take the stone tray off and do it from underneath.If you do replace the belts try and get a matched set for the alternator or you may end up with one tight belt doing the work and one loose belt squealing its t!ts off.

Don't remember what they cost,got the wife to order them & never saw the invoice.Probably average $20 each at a guess but a cheap fix if thats all it is.Not to hard to do just the A/C belt is a bit of a pain as you have to take the stone tray off and do it from underneath.If you do replace the belts try and get a matched set for the alternator or you may end up with one tight belt doing the work and one loose belt squealing its t!ts off.

Any ideas on decent quality brands? I know bosch do a few kits but I wouldnt have a clue any other brands

Any ideas on decent quality brands? I know bosch do a few kits but I wouldnt have a clue any other brands

Mine cost $55 for the full set and it made a big difference. I think they were opti something and was told they are as good as bosch. Time will tell but happy camper so far.

Good call, after hearing a few stories about the oils (apparrently 15w is too thick and was thought to be a factor in the timing chain failures) I changed to Penrite 5w40 the best out there in my book

I only use Bosch or Gates belts.Repco have their own branded belts at a good price but I have found in the past that their sizing is wrong and have to send them back.

I decided to have mine done by Paul at yd25. It could have kept going for some time but i got sick of worrying about it and it was wearing. Paul had already done a tensioner mod last year when i first had it checked. As i want to keep the nav for a long time i bit the bullet. The yd25 kits are not cheap but i should never have to change it. All up fitted was $3800. Takes 2 days to do on a d22 but only 1 day for a d40.

honestly the price to replace a timing chain on the navara deisel engine does sound way over the top to me. its not like i havn,t have chains / belts replaced before over my many years of this timing chain whatever you want to call it fix but the cost of parts and the labour really must be alot cheaper than over $3,000 for god sake.

Have a search for Rustynav09,s dramas he thought he did a chain and it was the belts and he looks after it more than most check everything 1st my mates 08 22 has 230k and still going very strong.

Latest posts

Back