Yengo National Park Day Trip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a great day, only Tony, Craig and myself turned out. (what happened to the rest of yers lol) Nothing hard but enough to make you think! A truly beautiful part of our great country. I took a few snappy's will try and load em up tomorrow! (we'll see how I go)

Cheers Brad

Here is a picccy of Big Yengo!

Attachments

• jessica_alba_bikini_sexy_1.jpg
    jessica_alba_bikini_sexy_1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 60
I only took one pic, Helen got a couple of snaps of us clearing that tree from the fire trail, might get those later and put them up, but here's that line-up from the start.

It was a great run, completely safe and yet difficult enough to make you very aware of where the vehicle needed to be. We'll do it again if we get some more people wanting to try some technically challenging off-roading that presents no real danger.

I think the next run will be through the Watagans (Craig could either take us through or provide GPS waypoints for us?). After that, we might do an overnighter.

Attachments

• Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13.jpg
    Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 86
yep was a great day the scenery was spectacular and the driving was great its a shame we don't get more people on these days out Tony puts a lot of effort in organizing them well done Tony

Yes, very sorry I missed it as I've been in the area around both ends over the years and have wondered about the joining tracks.

Talking of a weekend, I'm wondering if the Watagans might not be a reasonable place if distance from Sydney is an issue, families9?) and for people not too keen on 4WD (the central core is 2WD). Perhaps somewhere like the Basin Camping area(summer creek swimming). AFAIk, this is the southern most camping area and not too far off sealed roads just north of Kulnura (Peats ridge exit).

Caveat, no idea of how busy it gets.

Olney State Forest | NSW Department of Primary Industries

Just a couple of pics, was hanging the camera out the window while driving.......

Attachments

• P1010727.JPG
    P1010727.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010737.jpg
    P1010737.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010746.jpg
    P1010746.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 44
  • P1010738.JPG
    P1010738.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010736.JPG
    P1010736.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 44
we could always camp there and do so trips in the area there should be plenty of spare seats for the ones that dont have 4x4 you can do most of the area in two wheel drive

Yengo has a camp area, there are pics in the first couple of posts. Unfortunately for tent users there are some rather large worrisome ants and really the camp area isn't spectacular. It sufficed for our lunch break, which was good. It was such a shame that idiots had defaced the aboriginal carvings a short distance away.

Anyway, Helen took some pics of us boys at work with that tree. As we were driving along, we encountered a small tree that had fallen across the road. Not being too adventurous I stopped to the side, and Craig charged over the top of it!

We got out a bow saw, cut part of the way through (I must remember to take a chain saw next time) and then we used my tree trunk protector to snap it in two behind Craig's Navara. Then it was just a matter of clearing up the rest of the debris so that firefighters wouldn't have to worry about it on their way through. Pics are attached.

Attachments

• Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13 - 1 - Fallen Tree.jpg
    Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13 - 1 - Fallen Tree.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 68
  • Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13 - 2 - Tree Cut.jpg
    Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13 - 2 - Tree Cut.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13 - 3 - Clear The Path.jpg
    Yengo National Park Run 2010-11-13 - 3 - Clear The Path.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 67
We think we'd like to do Watagans in the middle of January and a camp-out on the Australia Day weekend, probably up at Polblue Campground.

We will be fully equipped for both. I'll get a thread started on both trips soon. Craig, I'll need some directions for the Watagans trip, and maybe we could take a cruise through there beforehand so we can choose paths, lunch stops and give people an idea of times, fuel needed etc.

I just checked when the public holidays are on - Aus Day for 2011 is gazetted as a Wednesday. We don't get a long weekend this time.

According to NSW Government Schools website the first school term for 2011 starts Friday 28th January 2011, so I think if we want kids to come along for the camp, we want to have it the weekend before - so that's 22nd and 23rd of January 2011. With a Watagans run the week before, we'll be busy - I think we'll have a 3 or 4 week break after the camp before the next run.

Yengo

I forgot to put Big Yengo in the last post!

I'm not sure what the track would be like these days how ever we use to be able to drive up the mountain to the first step up and drive all the way around.. Alot of tight switchbacks involving three point turns on some very steep angles (gets the hart pumping). There is a lot of history to that place if you ever organize another trip count me in for sure

I'm not sure what the track would be like these days how ever we use to be able to drive up the mountain to the first step up and drive all the way around.. Alot of tight switchbacks involving three point turns on some very steep angles (gets the hart pumping). There is a lot of history to that place if you ever organize another trip count me in for sure

The two times we've been through there have only been a run through with a lunch at the campground near the lookout. We've not ventured along any of the side tracks - the Howes Valley Fire Trail is a bit of a challenge in the dry, and would be quite difficult in the wet - there are sections that may require winching, and that may require some extensions as well.

Could be fun - it's a full day, and will be quite a busy one if it's wet. We even had a tree down on one trip and while we could have just driven over it, I felt better about having cleared the track so that fire crews weren't impeded.

Latest posts

Back