ZD30 aftermarket exhaust size

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastik86

Reaction score
G'day all

EGR blank is going in this week, catch can soon! And intercooler before exhaust when I finish saving (hiding money from the scruitineer)/pick up some OT.

But I like to be prepared so I can narrow down what I want and when the coin purse is sufficient couple of clicks on PayPal and wait on Santa to come early, so....

I have been researching exhaust kits, prices, brands etc. I have seen a few guys running 2.5" and 2.75" of different brands and then other guys running the X-Force 3". I found some posts about the two smaller sizes of the three being suited to the 2.5L CRD D22s because the 3" can have to much flow and you can lose torque and stuff (paraphrasing), but (forgive me if I have not used the search function to it's full potential! Keywords can be a bitch!) nothing on my ZD30.

Is the ZD30 the same in this respect, or will a 3" be more beneficial for this engine?
Are there reasons you guys run the 2.5" and 2.75" (cause some cost double the X-force 3"!)?
Is it a personal preference thing?

Insert comments, personsl anecdotes, insults (preferably not but if you feel the need to!) HERE ________________________________________________________________________________

Please and thank you

Just get what you can afford, at the end of the day anything is going to flow better than the stock system, how much better is debatable but it's not a racing car.... If you get a full system including dump pipe you will get a little more torque low down and the turbo will spool slightly quicker...

Just get what you can afford, at the end of the day anything is going to flow better than the stock system, how much better is debatable but it's not a racing car.... If you get a full system including dump pipe you will get a little more torque low down and the turbo will spool slightly quicker...

I was planning on a system with a dump pipe, high flow cat etc. , and no doubt cost will play a part in my final choice. Part of the reason for the post, not only to get answers on what is regarded as the most suitable size system for the ZD30, but also to arcertain why some guys chose the systems the did when for example a beaudesert 2.75" system might set you back between $1100 and $1450 (correct pricing???) Where as the X-force 3" system you can pick up for just over $700. As I said personal preference or quality or performance, etc.?

That said I do appreciate the tech info on why you'd geta a system including a dump pipe. Cheers

I was unsure of the results and possible gains so made changes in steps. Matt at United in Perth was extremely helpful, and patient. 3" Taipan fitted with a front intercooler as the first step. Not mush gain in power but large drop in exhaust temp. Front intercooler works well but pipes are exposed in front wheel arch and could be damaged in extreme off road places. Car was dyno'd before and after.
Unichip was then fitted and set up to maintain reliability and torque for towing. Matt said the Unichip was better suited to the ZD30 and could get more from the engine than others. Car was Dyno'd again . Torque comes in 1400rpm and is fairly flat all the way to 3500rpm.
Wow, the difference my wife reckons we need another gear! towing a 2.5 ton caravan with tinnie on roof and 750kg in tub and no longer struggle up hills. empty car can pull from fast walking pace to 100k/hr in 5th gear. Fuel economy with full load is 14lts/100k at 90klms/hr. even my wife reckons it is the best money I have ever spent on a car, I have spent a lot. would borrow money to do it if necessary well worth it.

I was unsure of the results and possible gains so made changes in steps. Matt at United in Perth was extremely helpful, and patient. 3" Taipan fitted with a front intercooler as the first step. Not mush gain in power but large drop in exhaust temp. Front intercooler works well but pipes are exposed in front wheel arch and could be damaged in extreme off road places. Car was dyno'd before and after.
Unichip was then fitted and set up to maintain reliability and torque for towing. Matt said the Unichip was better suited to the ZD30 and could get more from the engine than others. Car was Dyno'd again . Torque comes in 1400rpm and is fairly flat all the way to 3500rpm.
Wow, the difference my wife reckons we need another gear! towing a 2.5 ton caravan with tinnie on roof and 750kg in tub and no longer struggle up hills. empty car can pull from fast walking pace to 100k/hr in 5th gear. Fuel economy with full load is 14lts/100k at 90klms/hr. even my wife reckons it is the best money I have ever spent on a car, I have spent a lot. would borrow money to do it if necessary well worth it.

Cheers. I hope to chip it one day but cooler them exhaust forts as finances permit

I am running the 3 inch xforce system. I have been super happy with it, power and torque are easily up, and fuel economy is better too. Goes great with my chip.

my opinion if im allowed to have one is go a 2.5 as this is a low output motor and your looking at boosting your torque early on,

I am running the 3 inch xforce system. I have been super happy with it, power and torque are easily up, and fuel economy is better too. Goes great with my chip.

Cheers

my opinion if im allowed to have one is go a 2.5 as this is a low output motor and your looking at boosting your torque early on,

Definitely allowed an opinion! Much appreciated. Am looking for pros/cons and reasons exhaust size would suit/benefit more. Thanks kevin

going too big can affect torque
the zd30 should be able to handle a 3'' system easy where the yd25 will loose some torque with a 3''
the other thing to consider is engine breaking off road, larger exhaust = less
the price comes down to quality
stainless or mild steel,
mandrel bent, good flanges, welds, components

Last edited:
Also depends in how long your gona have the car and if you do alot of 4wding. Persobally if you dont have bash plates id go mild steel rather than stainless. If you hit a decent rock or what not and dent or crack a piece it will cost you less to replace and the performance should be the same.

be careful what marketing hype you believe. In my experience, a bigger exhaust on the zd 30 doesn't do anything appreciable and is a waste of money. I will admit I wasted $1200 on a beaudesert, a lot of other people won't.

be careful what marketing hype you believe. In my experience, a bigger exhaust on the zd 30 doesn't do anything appreciable and is a waste of money. I will admit I wasted $1200 on a beaudesert, a lot of other people won't.

Was that beaudesert 2.75? What other mods have you got? chip installed?

yeah mate, it was the beaudesert 2.75. Had a chip and intercooler (don't have the car anymore).

Did you get dump pipe as well.
Original dump pipe is very restrictive, id be interested to note differances between systems with aftermarket and original dump pipes. Im only just starting reaserch now but im currently of the opinion unless you go high flow cat and better dump pipe then probably not much point stuffing about with exhaust.
Also there was dyno results on here somewhere from northside showing 2.75 was better than 3 for the zd30.

I was happy with mine
bit pricey, but well built

in the end you get what you pay for

Cheers guys, that's what I was concerned about, too small = still restrictive, and the cons of going too big.

Latest posts

Back