ZD30 D22 hard to start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guy's

bit more of an update, out of curiosity i checked the pump primer and seemed to need priming, after doing so truck started straight away, so i left it for few hrs then went out to start it again, once again wouldn't start....well was going to carry on like it normally does, so i felt primer again and once again seemed to need priming, so brought pressure back up in primer hit the key and away it went?

Now i don't know if this is just coincidence but i will take notice over the next few days and see what happens.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
ok guy's just tried that again, primer had lost pressure, rebuilt pressure and still wouldn't start properly so not primer issue or fuel system losing pressure.

back to the drawing board i spose, the mechanic has ordered another CAS in case the new 1 we got is faulty even though it's new.

WARNING do not keep pumping the primer. you need to find where its sucking air in. typically its the fuel filter seals or the primer itself. however the spill line connections under the rocker cover are know to leak. if they are leaking and you continue to keep pumping the primer you can be pumping fuel into the engine oil which will result in a blown turbo and possibly a blown motor.

this is also WHY i wanted the exact error code.
air in the fuel throws pump timing out which can be miss read as crank timing fault.

OH!

oh ok tweake i won't do that again then, when they look at the truck i will get the code that they are getting and what software and machine they are using.

Hopefully that might give you bit more of an idea?

ok guy's the code that was pulled from the truck was P0046 still don't know what scanner was used?

Also guy's is there a pictorial anywhere that shows how to retrieve and read the codes?

Last edited:
p0046 is not a nissan code.
nearest nissan code is 0406 which is boost sensor, probably overboost or faulty sensor.
will see if there is a procedure you can do yourself.

p0046 is not a nissan code.
nearest nissan code is 0406 which is boost sensor, probably overboost or faulty sensor.
will see if there is a procedure you can do yourself.

yea that's what i thought tweak'e, geez i wish you were close handy to take a look for me you sound like the only bloke i have spoke too that even knows what they are talking about.

I would even pay you as i am having many sleepless nights over this piece of shit!

right see if you can follow this.
i have not tried it, just copied from manual.

attachment.php

mil light flashes the codes. long blinks indicate first 2 digits, short blinks indicate second 2 digits of the code. ie 0102 is 1 long flash then 2 short flashes.

Attachments

• check ecm d22.jpg
    check ecm d22.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,128
Last edited:
right see if you can follow this.
i have not tried it, just copied from manual.

attachment.php

mil light flashes the codes. long blinks indicate first 2 digits, short blinks indicate second 2 digits of the code. ie 0102 is 1 long flash then 2 short flashes.

Hi tweake
Il'l have a go at it and see what happens if i can find the plug

jardz91
Glow plugs ild say.. mine did it for ages till i got off.my ass and changed them
No not glow plugs m8 i have done them and they didn't really need doing i done them as a process of elimination trying to find what other problem is.

DAVE:
How many km's use guys got ?

Mine are still the original Glow plugs.
Dave i did mine at 215,000 but they didn't need doing, i only done them thinking they were cause of other problems, but turns out that wasn't the case.

Got a multimeter? The tach leaping around and how the dash lights are behaving make me wonder about battery voltage. If it drops low enough when cranking the ECU might be loosing the plot. Aside from that, problem with the ECU or the crank angle sensor perhaps? Or even a ground point that has corroded after it was wet.

Performance wise, that seems about how I recall my ZD30, relaxed would be the best work for the performance. Not really slow but certainly no ball of fire.

Got a multimeter? The tach leaping around and how the dash lights are behaving make me wonder about battery voltage. If it drops low enough when cranking the ECU might be loosing the plot. Aside from that, problem with the ECU or the crank angle sensor perhaps? Or even a ground point that has corroded after it was wet.

Performance wise, that seems about how I recall my ZD30, relaxed would be the best work for the performance. Not really slow but certainly no ball of fire.

not crank angle sensor as i have just done that, not starter motor as i have just done that too, not glow plugs as i have just done them too! Not battery as i have just put a new 1 in it 770 CCA have cleaned all earths and still the piece of shit plays up.

I would never buy another Nissan! ever! they are way more expensive than any other forby for parts, and prone to blowing heads! even right back to the Datsun 240k!

never again! give me a Toyota any day!

Sorry, my browser had a bit of a brain failure and I only saw the one page from the OP of this thread. Meaning you can pretty much ignore me. Didn't notice when it was posted either!

ok guy's just got codes out and all i got was 4 slow flashes and 7 fast which to me is code 47?

makes it 0407 which is crank position sensor.
if its been replaced, hopefully correctly as there is a clearance measurement, check connector and also the grounds on the inlet manifold.
i would also check engine ground and battery ground.

don't forget to erase the error code.

makes it 0407 which is crank position sensor.
if its been replaced, hopefully correctly as there is a clearance measurement, check connector and also the grounds on the inlet manifold.
i would also check engine ground and battery ground.

don't forget to erase the error code.

Hi tweak'e
i have yet again replaced the starter motor with another second hand 1 and seems to start perfect every time again?

I done this after reading somewhere else that another bloke had the same issue as me even with the tacho going stupid, and he also replaced CAS and still he got a CAS code, so he replaced starter and problem solved also.

So here's hoping. If problem not solved i will look into CAS clearance measurement, and see what they set it at, what should it be tweak'e?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back