Zd30 grenades. Do we need to worry?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ant81

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is already discussed on here, but I can't find it

I keep hearing about early gu patrols and the Nissan anti detonation systems problem regarding the old zd30 engines. Those of us with newer navaras with zd30 engines, does this include us??

There was a design change that made it into the Navaras to reduce the problem dramatically.

You can still grenade the engine - ANY engine can be grenaded - you just have to work damn hard at it.

There was a design change that made it into the Navaras to reduce the problem dramatically.
no. not that i've heard of.
the navaras are less prone due to lower power, different turbo and control system.

no official cause, but most likely early ones suffered from poor pistons and/or rings.

I'd heard from someone who seemed to know about the issue that the exhaust manifold was redesigned as well, because the way it was done caused the number 3 cylinder to run hotter, as well as improvements in piston material.

Would they openly confess to a balls-up?

From some of the research I did it seems the egr was different (possibly helping over heat rear cylinders) as well as a different engine management system which over boosted a different type of turbo. nissan never admitted a problem but replaced many circa 2001? patrol zd30s.
Navaras never suffered same problems.
No need to panic whatsoever, however it doesnt hurt to fit intercooler, learn what a catch can is and do the egr mod, and understand turbo timer theory.

G'day
A little piece I have picked up is the problem with some oils
If they are not of the right grade it can block the cat up from burning to heavy of oil fumes emitted in through the crank vent how ever it is rare. Most have taken care of this risk by blocking the egr and installing catch cans as well as using the proper oil

I have also heard that the dipstick would not measure the correct amount and the sump would be low on oil even though it showed full on the stick,but that's hearsay it may of applied to the patrol and not the nav.

I'd heard from someone who seemed to know about the issue that the exhaust manifold was redesigned as well, because the way it was done caused the number 3 cylinder to run hotter, as well as improvements in piston material.

Would they openly confess to a balls-up?
no design change on the patrol or navara manifolds over the years.
the patrol runs different inlet/exhaust manifold to the navara due to different turbo etc. patrol inlet manifold is more to the rear and may cause more egr to go into no3 and 4 cylinders than no1 and 2.

Navaras never suffered same problems.
pre 2003 blew the pistons just like the patrols.

G'day
A little piece I have picked up is the problem with some oils
If they are not of the right grade it can block the cat up from burning to heavy of oil fumes emitted in through the crank vent how ever it is rare. Most have taken care of this risk by blocking the egr and installing catch cans as well as using the proper oil

that is a possibility but cat poisoning is quite slow (unlike dpf).
i have seen pics of blocked up cats but i suspect that its caused by the engine constantly outputting a large amount of soot. more than likely due to excessive egr due to patrols silly control system.
however poor oil could mean poor ring seal causing low compression and poor burning. burning oil would not help either.

What was the talk of oil squirters being introduced to squirt oil underneath the pistons to assist cooling?

Think I read it on here somewhere?

I have also heard that the dipstick would not measure the correct amount and the sump would be low on oil even though it showed full on the stick,but that's hearsay it may of applied to the patrol and not the nav.
nissans band aid fix was to replace the oil dipstick with a shorter one. that increased the oil capacity (and hopefully kept oil temp down). but it also makes it blow a lot more oil out the breather.
i have a pic somewhere showing the oil end of the dipstick. the oil level is right at the bottom of the crank.

What was the talk of oil squirters being introduced to squirt oil underneath the pistons to assist cooling?

Think I read it on here somewhere?

no they have always had oil squirter's.

Latest posts

Back