ZD30 hard starting after river drive

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baitfish

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As the title states my 2004 ZD30 has become a lot harder to start after doing a river run with a few of the lads. The water was only about a foot deep but i did get a bit carried away and i was fairly smashing around in the water.

Since then it has been a lot harder to start, normally it only winds over once maybe twice on a cold morning if I forgot to glow it. Now whether if glow it once or twice it stills winds over maybe half a dozen times before it starts. Last night was the worst I have seen it, hadn't driven the Ute all week and went to start it and it took about 10 winds of the engine for it to start.

the engine runs fine as far as I can tell, boost is normal, EGTs are normal, water temps are sitting at the same as always once she is warmed up. No power loss. The only thing different i have noticed since the river run is that it has a squeal coming from the engine bay, i just figured that was belts making that noise from being soaked in water.

My first thoughts were that the alternator may have died and wasn't charging the battery any more. Checked that and she is still putting out 13.9VDC.

Any thoughts and help on the issue would be great!

The alternator might have suffered. This will reduce its charging capacity therefore reducing the battery's ability to crank the car over.

You might also check that your air filter is dry. D22's inner guards aren't the greatest at preventing water ingress.

In the morning (before you try starting the car) measure the battery's voltage. It should be 12.8V or better. If it's not, your battery has not been charged properly, so it's time to check the charge rate as Joshman suggests - see an auto electrician for that.

Typical charge voltages are 14.4 to 14.7V (with battery at normal state-of-charge). You could run the car for 15-20 minutes around town and check the terminal voltage with the engine running - it should be in that range. If not, again your alternator is not charging the battery.

If your alternator is putting out enough charge, a dying battery will refuse charge and exhibit similar symptoms.

The fastest and cheapest way to tell is to borrow a similar battery and see what happens. If that resolves it just buy a new battery, if not see the auto electrician.

Thanks for the idea lads. Found the problem , the glow plug circuits wasn't working, the main connection on the common for the plugs had actually vibrated loose and was full of crap. Bit of contact cleaner and it was good to go.

Lucky you didn't bend a rod.

That crossed mind when I first read this.

Got a snorkel ?

Back