ZD30 not starting properly.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett 76

Reaction score
G'day all, done a search and found nothing.

I am having some issues when starting the old girl cold. I always wait for the glow plug light to turn off before kicking it over. But lately when she has been cold, i turn her over and while turning over the engine pauses for a second then fires up. After driving and engine is warm, the car starts as per normal.

She has done 74,000kms and is coming up for 75k service on Wednesday. Could this be a issue with the glow plugs? They haven't been replaced before so should i ask for them to be looked at?

Sorry if i didn't explain it properly.

Brett

Brett, it could just be a bit of air in the fuel line - possibly a very small leak on the suction side of the pump, causes the fuel to drain back to the tank overnight but not fast enough to be noticeable between drives during the day.

Easy way to find out: tomorrow morning, pop the bonnet before you try starting the car and give the primer bulb a good squeeze. If you can pump it more than 3-4 times, there's a very good chance that there is air in the line.

If that's not it, it could well be your glow plugs. The guys have a test that they can perform on them and if they're not in spec they can replace them. I have no idea what they'd cost you.

Cheers Tony, i had to replace the filter couple weeks ago, so will have a look in the morning.

Its been getting worse over the last 2 weeks, So will alert the mechanic on Wed.

Brett

I've noticed the same thing that started about 2 weeks when it got really cold in the mornings. Takes a pause before turning over. Made me think that perhaps the 4 year old battery wasn't quite what it once was. Never had a pause like that before but then she's a Brissy truck and not used to this bullshit Melbourne weather :)

^ What brand of filter did you use ?

Ryco one dont seal that well so I hear and let air in as the seal is diffent to the Nissan one.

As for Brett's question. Agree with Tony.

Check the primer.

Dave, i had to put a ryco filter in. But it's not that, primer pump is hard after one pump.

I figure the battery probably hasn't been replaced for a LONG time, so i grabbed a multimeter and will check voltage in morning to see. I am starting to think the battery is tired as car only acts up when cold, after i have driven her, battery should be charged and she starts fine.

Will give it a go and see

Brett

Brett, it could just be a bit of air in the fuel line - possibly a very small leak on the suction side of the pump, causes the fuel to drain back to the tank overnight but not fast enough to be noticeable between drives during the day.

Easy way to find out: tomorrow morning, pop the bonnet before you try starting the car and give the primer bulb a good squeeze. If you can pump it more than 3-4 times, there's a very good chance that there is air in the line.

If that's not it, it could well be your glow plugs. The guys have a test that they can perform on them and if they're not in spec they can replace them. I have no idea what they'd cost you.

just got quoted 60. for one (qd32)

I had this problem too, it wasn't the fuel lines, so I was booking in for new glow plugs, but then one morning she didn't start at all. Turns out it was battery issues. When I got a new one put in the battery tech told me the old one was cheap and nasty.

Now with the new HD 4x4 battery she starts perfect everytime, even when covered in frost.

Back