ZD30 & Oil Catch Can

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybird

Reaction score
I had this in the Oil Catch Can Install with no responce so maybe that was the wrong place, anyhow if someone could comment.

Its been some time now since I built my own catchcan as per Bennys, I was wondering how mutch oil they catch on average as mine only has about 50mil in between oil changes. I have it mounted behind the fuel filter so that makes the inlet pipe run up hill to the can so could that be the problem.
Thanks

I'm not familiar with the design -- but if there is not baffle (or similar) it may not be doing anything much. Or, you've got a real tight motor with little blow by. Out if interest, what is the interval between oil changes?

Oil Changes between 7/10000 K's, There is plenty of blow by as you can see it blowing out the inlet tube to the catchcan. There is also good baffle in the can

Last edited:
If the oil is still hot enough to remain a vapour as it starts to leave the catch can, there's your answer.

Baffling is good, but to be effective it also needs to give the oil a bit of opportunity to condense back to liquid (ie become cooler). Distance helps - a short hose from the PCV to the catch can will mean that the gas/oil vapour mixture entering the catch can is still at a high temperature.

Relocating the catch can somewhere towards the forward side (beside or in front of the radiator) would give you not only that distance, but also some insulation from engine heat as well.

Thanks Old. Tony that could explain it, it is located behind the fuel filter so I thought it might have been protected, I'll look at moving it and see if that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back