ZD30 Turbo - HELP!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
Were driving down home from Perth the other week when heard a PING (break), tinckle tinckle, then loud turbo squeal / suck.

Managed to quietly find somewhere to get off the road, and in pitch black with dolphin torch try and assess how bad was the situation.

Decided to nurse the car for another 30 minutes home at low speed, and low induction and got home.

In the light of day checked all obvious induction and exhaust areas, with no indication of what failed. Again chanced a test run around the block, and as soon as revs were up, the induction / squeal came into play again.

Have since dismantled and removed turbo with the following observations.

1. Heaps of oil in turbo and all induction pipework.
2. Wastegate actuator difficult to move by hand, lever (not shaft) odd shape.
3. Turbo vane on exhaust side appears to have broken off something at centre. have tried looking at photos on internet to see what it should look like with no success.

Are in the process of ordering new turbo (genuine), gaskets, and studs.

Appreciate theories of what has happened, and any tips to make sure I fix this when I put it all together.

Cheers and beers,

:cheers!:

sounds like you got off extremely lucky. I'd say the turbine wheel (exhaust side) has shattered and thrown a piece down the exhaust. the centre shaft is no longer balanced, and thats throwing it out and causing the squeel.

it could've been worse, you could've smashed the compressor wheel (inlet side) and thrown the metal into your engine!

+1 on the luck - wow, very lucky indeed.

The oil is expected - it's come through the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation). It's an emission control - vaporised sump oil is pushed out by the blow-by (combustion gas seeping past the piston rings). You can fit a catch can to trap most of this.

You also have to look at why the turbocharger let go. It's unusual for the exhaust side to break - this is the second I've heard of, and I've heard of several compressors letting go.

How many km on the vehicle? Have you owned it from new? Do you lend it to other people? After a hard stretch of driving, do you let the engine run at lower rpm for a little or do you just turn it off like you would a petrol engine?

ZD 30 Turbo - Reply

Its a 2002 with 140k one owner from new (me), oil changes at 5k with good quality semi synthetics, and yes generally warmed down after any hard work. While I have it apart I want to make sure I change out everything I should to make sure a good job. Some of the hoses (PCV) are looking a bit cracked, and are pretty keen to put an oil catch can on (can anyone recommend a kit ready to go). Had the injectors replaced 40k ago, with the turbo inspected at the same time, trying to avoid what has just happened. Got to say it's a fiddly job getting to all the nuts and bolts to remove, can't wait to do the reverse?, just wan't to make sure I only have to do it once.

Cheers and beers :cheers!:

Maybe the wastegate was stuck shut and it overboosted? Check the hose to the actuator hasn't perished.

Are you sure its broken.
Exhaust side looks weird because they grind nut and end of shaft to balance it.
I have a spare but its 1000km from me, I can post up photos in a few days if it helps.
Also check the Allen keys at back of turbo havnt come loose.
Sounds serious with all those noises you described, but fingers crossed.

Charlie, you are spot on. Yes one of the Allen bolts is missing, I could not see the forest for the trees concentrating on internal, induction, and exhaust.

Are maintaining my replace approach (new turbo, hoses etc.) for piece of mind, we live in the country and just want the reliability we have enjoyed for the previous 11 years.

Cheers and beers :cheers!:

Back