Zd30 woes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning all,
I'm new to the forum so go easy on me.
A few nights ago i was at work everyone had left so I decided to change my oil while I had the factory to my self.
Anyways long story short I dropped the oil, cracked the filter housing trying to get it off, drove home with whatever oil was left, engine pretty much went bang and now I'm here.
Yeah I know it was a dick move, so where to now?
Engine still turns over but sounds horrible and looks to want to jump out the engine bay.
Just like everyone money's tight so may be a while before she's on the road again.
What would be the cheaper option, a rebuild, another motor or a conversion with bugger all mods
Cheers ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393016373.330437.jpg

I suspect the costs would be marginal between a replacement and a proper rebuild, though it does really depend on whats wrong with your engine. At least with a rebuild you know the history and what was done to it. If someone else is doing the work, a rebuild can get expensive fairly quickly.

I think conversions are out. They would be way more expensive.

KB

Yeah I thought as much about a rebuild. I figured the engine is stuffed so I may as we'll try and pull it apart. Are these engines selling online claiming to be rebuilt worth looking at? I seen them at approx $4500. My experience with cars is spark plugs oil and leads. So this may be a mission to do but I'm gunna give it a go. I might start by buying a service manual.

Hmmm. Going by that I don't like your chances of being able to rebuild it... As mentioned above, its not going to be real cheap either way.. You could probably rip the head off to start with and see how the top end looks and check the bores out while you're there to see how bad they are...

Yeah probably a wise move may start from the top. When I start I'll get the photos on hereImageUploadedByTapatalk1393025790.888227.jpgthis is how it started cracked oil filter housing

ya poor bugger - grab the manual off here pull it apart and clean and check every part for tolerances bit by bit ! one pile for ruined and another for refurbishment ! If the good pile out ways the ruined pile it may be worth saving ! have a look at rebuild kits etc.. How far did you get with it with out oil ? i'm sure there was a bloke selling a good zd30 on here - have a search !

Your looking at $1000 just in parts to replace a headgasket, I wouldn't bother pulling the head off.

I made it a good 4 kays believe it or not. Once I heard a massive knocking from the engine I pulled up on the m1 and got the missus to tow us back home.
Yeah been doing my homework on here, this site has everything about any thing Navara think I found my second home. As for the manual I'm still trying to find it.
Cheers for the feedback will keep you updated

Hey Mate, looks like one unlucky incident. I am definitely going to take a bit more care on my filter housing now... From doing work on a lot of other peoples cares, I can definitely say a lot of people over-tighten the oilfilters far more than they need to. Easier, and better, to do them while they are warm too.
Anyway.. as far as rebuild's versus buying something that has supposedly being done.. I am in the same boat as the others have said. I would rather rebuild my motor knowing it has been done properly, than buying an unknown.
I had to recently rebuild mine from the ground up, twice, but won't go in to that, but I found that all up, the rebuild, if you do it only once, will cost around $4000 in parts. I did remove the engine myself though, and strip it right down. In that price was:

New Head with bolts etc $1300
Oversized Pistons/rings/etc $1100
Timing chain/gear kit was $180
Machining of Block (bore and skim) approx $200
And labour for shimming of the head etc (Stuff I dont have the tools or knowledge to do) was about $350
New Clutch (Unless yours is pretty new, I would do it anyway, put in a HD one) $650 or so.
Gasket kit etc approx $200

The other costs you have to factor in are: Any other labour and tooling you might need (Engine crane, handly little bugger, $350. etc) Although I am sure there are guys around you can pinch beg and borrow from. Definitely download the service manual. If you follow it exactly, it will take a while the first time, but will get you through it. Although it never hurts to have someone to pick the brains of around. Keep in mind all the prices above I got a mate who is a mech. to order on his account from the supplier so I got trade rates for pistons etc, not the head though. Pistons were +1's, hardened. Got new valves etc of course too. The good side of the coin is, I learnt a hell of a lot about my engine, and got to make sure it was done properly in the end. And gives you time to clean everything up the way you want, not rush it. It's worth it alone just to take the time to clean the intake manifold out with all the EGR crap.

As far as other labour goes... if you are not comfortable assembling the pistons, putting the head on, that actually doesn't take too long, should only take a good mech and hour or two and most of it is complete, and you can just assemble the accessories, sump, etc.

If you do want to try tackling taking the engine out, with gearbox in, you will find that its either sump off, which I found too difficult, or whip the front diff/crossmember out. I have a pit though, so it wasn't too bad.

Anyway, perhaps you will not decide to go this way, but if you do, you will swear, curse, probably break a few things here and there but at the end, be very satisfied with what you have done. Good luck either way.

Oh, and there was a thread around here that had the link to someone's home server to download the manual for the ZD30, I found it once, but can't find it again. Someone else might know?

Nifty nev you are the man. After a lot of drinking and staring at my truck. I think I'm gunna take your advice and pull it apart. I've been lucky enough to be able to borrow the work ute in the mean time so I'm in no hurry to rush it.
Thanks for the advice

Good luck mate,
I know at the end of the day you will enjoy it. You might not need a new head, so that might save you a fair bit of coin. If that's the case, just the pistons/rings/bore etc, as long as the block can be saved, and a few bits and pieces if you don't decide to do the clutch, you might get away with a few grand. Oh, and its a hell of a lot easier to take the head off once the engine is out... Just a hint. Cos I tried while it was in to start with, and getting that drain pipe out the back of the head was a PITA. But make sure you obviously crack the head bolts loose first, and do it in order. And a decent ratchet strap to hold the gearbox up between the chassis rails.

And just be careful when you remove the head, if you tip it upside down, all the buckets will fall off the valves and you will have no idea what goes where.. haha. Only speaking from personal experience there, but I had to get everything reshimmed on the new head anyway, so it wasn't a problem. And those little zip lock bags and a marker pen... you can never have too many or be too anal about how you label them, they make life a lot easier on reassembly.

If you let us know where abouts in Aus you are, someone might be able to point you in the right direction for a good machining shop that won't dick you around and rip you.

And plenty of beer in the fridge too.... that always helps with anything Nissan related

what the ?

you started and drove a vehicle that you new had an oil supply problem ? to quote the famous tennis player . John Mcenroe . surley you carnt be ****ing serious . p.s. i added a word there cause i didnt think any one would be dum enuf to do what you did .

you started and drove a vehicle that you new had an oil supply problem ? to quote the famous tennis player . John Mcenroe . surley you carnt be ****ing serious . p.s. i added a word there cause i didnt think any one would be dum enuf to do what you did .

Hmmmmm.
Just a quiet word Bert, when casting doubt on the intelligence of another you should at least endeavour to rise above text style spelling.

pretty good effort though. no exactly the type of thing a bloke would normally live down. except on this namby pamby , cotton wrapped nicey nice forum

good luck guy,shouldn't have started with that problem,would have being cheaper to get a housing,drain oil,maybe coolant,gasket,and you would be rolling again.

All your big end and little end bearings will be buggered, the crank will need machining if it's not totally stuffed, probably pistons and bores a well so i'd look on fleabay, there's always motors on there. The Patrol ZD30 is different so don't get on of those. Here's the manual, you need to unzip it after downloading. http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=3232

Latest posts

Back