Zd30di Timing has been modified

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adelaided22

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2004 d22 with a zd30. While installing a new IP it was realised that the factory timing has been changed. When the engine was started it hit a valve in cylinder 4. At this stage the valves looks fine through a borescope but once we get it running we'll do a compression test on it. The modified timing has not been recorded while taking off the pump so now we're stuck with this abit. The engine has new flat pistons in it so I am guessing that the timing has been change during an engine rebuild. Has anyone had experience with this, the only option at this stage is to take the motor out and reset the timing to factory, although I would rather get it back to the modified timing as I don't know how else it was tuned and it would save pulling out the engine

no need to take engine out. covers all come off, set up the timing chain and timing gears as per factory marks.
on one of ours we found timing chain had been fitted 180 degrees out.
what makes it tricky is you have to crank around the chain many many times before everything lines up.

if you have hit the valve it may pay to go pull the cam gears off and check the drive pin is not broken/bent.

no need to take engine out. covers all come off, set up the timing chain and timing gears as per factory marks.
on one of ours we found timing chain had been fitted 180 degrees out.
what makes it tricky is you have to crank around the chain many many times before everything lines up.

if you have hit the valve it may pay to go pull the cam gears off and check the drive pin is not broken/bent.
No worries, have you ever seen an engine like this where the timing has been changed?

Last edited:
No worries, have you ever seen an engine like this where the timing has been changed?
never heard of it.
180 degrees out is possible, ours was which i suspect due to injection crowd replacing the pump.
the only other situation i have heard of is broken cam pin and machining a replacement 180 degrees out on the cam sprocket, in which case they would have a new timing mark to line up.

on ours when i replaced the head, i tore it all down and made sure all the marks lined up before i took the chain etc off.

Latest posts

Back