Adjusting clutch D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruiserstu

Reaction score
Just wondering what is involved with adjusting my clutch, at the moment i only need to push the pedal in about 10mm and my clutch engages. I want to try and have it so that the clutch engages about halfway through the pedal travel.

Cheers, Stuart

the master cyl pushrod is adjustable make sure u have freeplay at the top of the pedal so like 1/8 of its travel should be free then start pushing the piston if its got none u need to shorten the pushrod if this dosnt help then the clutch is on its way out

mate my 2005 nav only just clocked 80 000kms has had the same issue for about 15 000 kms. just towed my mates 20ft fibre glass boat today (1.5t). the only issue is take off. need to ride the clutch a little but other than that it drive fine. prob do need a new clutch soon but add it to the list. till it fails.....

yeah ended up putting a new clutch in. can't remember the brand. cost me 1900 cash installed. its a heavy duty racing clutch or somethin. got the info on it somewhere. seems to be good now, but for a while I'd let the clutch out slightly and it would take off like a rocket.

I got a quote today to replace the clutch in my 2003,160000ks...About $1350 was the quote...It hasn't felt right for ages and last week it started to slip a little when I was labouring it going up hill...

Sparra said:
I got a quote today to replace the clutch in my 2003,160000ks...About $1350 was the quote...It hasn't felt right for ages and last week it started to slip a little when I was labouring it going up hill...

1350 is a good price. The exedy H/D clutch is $700, plus a quoted 7hrs labour (that's what their magic book says it'll take to change out a d22 clutch), plus machining of flywheel and main seal...

When I get my clutch done, I'll get a whole host of bits replaced while they've got the engine and gearbox alarm, bearings, seals, clutch, etc.

charlie strayarc said:
I wish someone would DIY and post up a how to with lots of photos.

If mine goes I would like to do it myself.

The hardest bit of DIY-ing the clutch install would be machining down the flywheel/clutch face.

There'd also be a fair chunk of speciality tools needed, and unless you can get trade prices on materials, you'll pay the earth for stuff.

OK then $700 to buy the clutch kit i think thats a bit steep but it might not be as for diy pull the thing apart and put it back together with new parts the only spares left over should be the old parts it cant be any harder a clutch is a clutch they havnt changed over the years or have they as for machining flywheel i cant see that it would be neccesary after only 70 or 80 thousand ks if so its worth whili throwing the thing away and getting a new one made up even under the hardest driving the fly wheel only sits there doing nothing but spin around the starter hits it when starting and when you slip the clutch thats what you do slip the clutch if you heat the flywheel that much that you burn or worp it in 70 000 then its either shit steel or u need an auto i recon the latter

$700 is the absolute cheapest I've seen for the exedy H/D clutch pack, I've had one mod try and quote me $1100 for just the clutch kit. $700 IS cheap. (phone Nissan parts and get a price for an OEM clutch from them!) a new main engine seal is worth a bit of money.

My theory is getting the gearbox and engine apart is a bitch of a job, so while you have the opportunity and it's open, do everything you absolutely can maintenance-wise while you do. Replace bearing and seals, machine fly wheels, etc.

The machining does a few things, for one it give you new clutch a new surface to grab on. It gets rid of any imperfections in the surface cause by mud or dust ingress, and will also show any cracks you might have in it. Personally I reckon you'd be silly to only do absolute bare minimum while the opportunity to do so much more presents itself.

Also @johnbritto, reckon you could punctuate your posts, trying to read that gave me a headache, punctuation is the difference between "a panda eats shoots and leaves", and "A panda eats, shoots, and leaves."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back