Adjusting clutch D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also @johnbritto, reckon you could punctuate your posts, trying to read that gave me a headache, punctuation is the difference between "a panda eats shoots and leaves", and "A panda eats, shoots, and leaves."
I thought the panda eats, ROOTS, shoots and leaves.

$700 is the absolute cheapest I've seen for the exedy H/D clutch pack, I've had one mod try and quote me $1100 for just the clutch kit. $700 IS cheap. (phone Nissan parts and get a price for an OEM clutch from them!) a new main engine seal is worth a bit of money.

My theory is getting the gearbox and engine apart is a bitch of a job, so while you have the opportunity and it's open, do everything you absolutely can maintenance-wise while you do. Replace bearing and seals, machine fly wheels, etc.

The machining does a few things, for one it give you new clutch a new surface to grab on. It gets rid of any imperfections in the surface cause by mud or dust ingress, and will also show any cracks you might have in it. Personally I reckon you'd be silly to only do absolute bare minimum while the opportunity to do so much more presents itself.

Also @johnbritto, reckon you could punctuate your posts, trying to read that gave me a headache, punctuation is the difference between "a panda eats shoots and leaves", and "A panda eats, shoots, and leaves."

i need my clutch replaced also
i have a 2004 d22 and have some prices for you..
some of you are paying WAY over the top..
i have 2 quotes for an exedy h/duty set up,flywheel machining and labour,,
1st quote comes to $1450..
2nd quote is $1097..
but i can better that also..
thru a relative i can get an exedy h/d kit for......$265....yes your not imagining things...
machining the flywheel is $33 and the labour cost is $616...
grand total supplied and fitted is $914....
so dont pay $600-$800 for the kit...they still make money when they sell them for $265...
cheers

At less than half the price of what you find on eBay ($698 ) for the Exedy H/D clutch kit (part#: NSK-7373HD)... I'd be a VERY suspect on its quality/origin/fitment for the navara.
The old axiom still holds true, if it's too good to be true, then it probably is.
The best I've had quoted for labour is $88/hr for 7 hours, dunno about all the other extras (seals, bearings, gaskets, machining, etc), it was a verbal quote.

so far i know the clutch kit is coming from a distributor that supplies all the workshops..
my contact had one fitted to his worked troll and everything is great..
its the genuine item..

i think im getting it next week,so i will let you know..
also the quote i got for $1097 from my local clutch workshop,who i have been dealing with for 25yrs,their quote break down is as follows..
Xedy clutch kit h/duty...$448....machining flywheel $33......labour 7hrs @ $88 = total $1097..
so even they can do the clutch kit for way less than you found..

superiorcruiser said:
i think im getting it next week,so i will let you know..
also the quote i got for $1097 from my local clutch workshop,who i have been dealing with for 25yrs,their quote break down is as follows..
Xedy clutch kit h/duty...$448....machining flywheel $33......labour 7hrs @ $88 = total $1097..
so even they can do the clutch kit for way less than you found..

Where abouts are you based? Make sure it's got the same part number I listed in an earlier post!

$700 is the absolute cheapest I've seen for the exedy H/D clutch pack, I've had one mod try and quote me $1100 for just the clutch kit. $700 IS cheap. (phone Nissan parts and get a price for an OEM clutch from them!) a new main engine seal is worth a bit of money.

My theory is getting the gearbox and engine apart is a bitch of a job, so while you have the opportunity and it's open, do everything you absolutely can maintenance-wise while you do. Replace bearing and seals, machine fly wheels, etc.

The machining does a few things, for one it give you new clutch a new surface to grab on. It gets rid of any imperfections in the surface cause by mud or dust ingress, and will also show any cracks you might have in it. Personally I reckon you'd be silly to only do absolute bare minimum while the opportunity to do so much more presents itself.

Sorry, I'll pratice my punctuation. i didn't last very long at school and what education i did get from there was over 30 years ago. I do see your point about preventitave maintence so i'll just leave it at that .

Where abouts are you based? Make sure it's got the same part number I listed in an earlier post!

rang them today and quoted that part number,and they stuffed up.....surprise,surprise....
they quoted the wrong type..
the best price i got was $495 inc/gst for the one you listed..

superiorcruiser said:
rang them today and quoted that part number,and they stuffed up.....surprise,surprise....
they quoted the wrong type..
the best price i got was $495 inc/gst for the one you listed..

That's still a bloody good price - $200 cheaper than anywhere I could find. I got that number from the exedy website, it's for a 3.0L diesel D22 navara, dunno if other d22 models use a different clutch.

I have just been quoted $1665 for a sports tuff kit, fly wheel skim and rear main seal. Through Robson Brothers in in Welshpool WA.

Hopefully have it done in the next 2 weeks or so.

Just got the nav back today. First impressions are good....feels like it engages further down in the pedal stroke and it definitely clamps harder. Requires more revs for take off, Im putting that down to the fact that im not used to it yet and that it has a greater clamping force. Pedal feel is definitely lighter, I'd say about 2/3 of the original. Overall it does feel better, and it seems to engage smoother through the stroke.

Robson Brothers will be getting my business again. Before changing the clutch their mechanic took it for a drive and his diagnosis was that there was nothing wrong with it, maybe just a little worn, It could last for years or months. They called and told me this before touching anything (not something i expected). I decided to have it changed out anyway due to not feeling safe even towing a trailer, or having dirtbikes on the back, and not wanting to be stuck on the sand with a ruined clutch because i was cheap.

On a side note, the left me 2 chuppa chups with their business card.....loving it just quietly

Just got the nav back today. First impressions are good....feels like it engages further down in the pedal stroke and it definitely clamps harder. Requires more revs for take off, Im putting that down to the fact that im not used to it yet and that it has a greater clamping force. Pedal feel is definitely lighter, I'd say about 2/3 of the original. Overall it does feel better, and it seems to engage smoother through the stroke.

Robson Brothers will be getting my business again. Before changing the clutch their mechanic took it for a drive and his diagnosis was that there was nothing wrong with it, maybe just a little worn, It could last for years or months. They called and told me this before touching anything (not something i expected). I decided to have it changed out anyway due to not feeling safe even towing a trailer, or having dirtbikes on the back, and not wanting to be stuck on the sand with a ruined clutch because i was cheap.

On a side note, the left me 2 chuppa chups with their business card.....loving it just quietly

"Requires more revs for take off" has me a little confused however you need to start a thread as a good word for these guys and you guys in Perth.

That sounds like outstanding service.

Yep terrible phrasing on my part.....what i mean is with the old clutch you could basically just lift your foot off the clutch pedal without touching the accelerator too much and it would take off. With the new clutch, it requires more accelerator input ( hence revs ) to get going otherwise it shudders and threatens to stall. Not sure if that clears up the confusion

Yep terrible phrasing on my part.....what i mean is with the old clutch you could basically just lift your foot off the clutch pedal without touching the accelerator too much and it would take off. With the new clutch, it requires more accelerator input ( hence revs ) to get going otherwise it shudders and threatens to stall. Not sure if that clears up the confusion

Fair enough. Almost like the ECU isn't quick enough to compensate and maintain idle.

I guess you don't have that wide a pedal movement through the friction point anymore so it's a little quick. Anyway, it's good to know this stuff. :)

just got my nav back with new exeddy HD clutch..
flywheel machined also a couple of extra parts that needed changing...a spring on the fork/gear selector and some bush that was stuffed..
all fitted for $1240..

Sorry cldnt be fukt reading whole thread, but i wasnt happy with my pedal heights, so i adjusted clutch pedal for minimum free play, ie; so it starts disengaging almost as soon as i press the pedal now, and adjusted the brake pedal to as near the same height as the throttle pedal as i could, so i can "heel-toe" it on uphill starts, ect. So much nicer to drive now. Its just a couple of nuts behind the pedals.

I have just installed a Xtreem outback clutch on the d22 and am regretting it. With the 265/75 tyres it struggles and slips, even more so in the sand. Has anyone else gone with this option? If so how did you find it? I now wish I had gone the Excedy!!!

Latest posts

Back