NSW Events - Nov & Dec 2011

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old.Tony

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay guys, I've done some thinking and would like to end the year on a happy note.

With that in mind, I've pencilled in a camping trip to Coopernook Forest Park for 26th and 27th of November. That should give people plenty of time to organise leave (if needed), save up some coins and pack the camping gear again. I want to go here for two reasons: first, it's a big open space that we could easily fit the muster attendees in a couple of times over, and secondly it's not too far for RLI to get to - hopefully we can all get to meet him, his wife Ally & his kids.

In December, we need to get together to celebrate the festive season and the 17th of December is close enough - it's a Saturday, so more of us should have an opportunity to get there. NOTE: THIS IS NOW 10TH DEC.

We can do dinner as well - perhaps not at the Hunter River hotel (as we have done the last 2 years), but we could pick a destination and go there. Might even make it a day trip? How far is too far? What's a nice destination?

Personally I like the Royal hotel at Dungog. The food is quite good and if we book we could get the dining room to us exclusively.

We might also consider designated drivers for that - car pooling - it'd make things easier!

Thoughts on the Christmas destination?

UPDATES:
November: Coopernook camp remains unchanged. We're leaving Heatherbrae just on the north side of this servo at 2pm, we'll probably get there around 1:30pm so we can wait for others to arrive.

December: Now 10th Dec for a 4WD trip + dinner and 17th Dec for drinks.
4WD trip on 10th: Leave Jilliby Rd at 10am, stop around noon-ish for lunch & 4WD fun. Continue to Doyalson RSL for dinner. Bring packed lunch or meat for BBQ for lunch.

Drinks on 17th: This WAS a quiet get-together at Hunter River hotel starting at about 5pm. It is now drinks & feed at Maryland Tavern.

Last edited:
tony
can you put up a google map link to coopernook please
i might come along for the weekend
sparra

If you look at this map, you'll see Coopernook State Forest in the top right corner. The yellow road is the main highway north, the one that goes from the roundabout north of Heatherbrae all the way up the coast.

In this map, I've shown the fastest way to get into Coopernook and onto the road you need to travel on. Bangalow Rd (which is the road you're on at the end, point C) had some fairly substantial potholes in it, so while it might look good enough to tear along at a fair pace, some of the potholes were significant enough to make your wheels an aviation hazard - so once you leave the sealed road, take it easy.

Once you leave the sealed road at point 'A' in this map you'll cross the railway line at point 'B' - it's a little bridge, turn right when you go across and follow the road up and around to point C, which the road straight is actually signposted as "Omaras Rd" and not "Loop Rd". Turn left and just drive straight on up to the campsite at point 'D'.

Let me know when you get your camper trailer, Sparra. Wife and I are considering an overnight run to see how the grandson takes to camping, we'll probably just do the super-easy run to McNamara Park in Broke. If it suits you to test your van out like that so we can check out the setup of it, let's do it.

Might be able to make it. The mrs said she'd like to go. Will only have a tent though.

Might be able to make it. The mrs said she'd like to go. Will only have a tent though.

Ground up there is perfect for tents. Gently slopes from south down to north.

Oh, did I forget to mention that it has a proper flushing toilet, but no showers?

There's no water supply there either. You need to bring it all with you.

Personally I like the Royal hotel at Dungog. The food is quite good and if we book we could get the dining room to us exclusively.

Is the menu still steak, steak or steak :big_smile:
They do a mean raw steak with egg and parsley, but I think that is just a delicacy for their Japanese customers.

Any idea of pricing?

Might have to look at camping locally for a few days since we didn't get the chance to play mud larks at Woko NP on our way back from Qld.

I've shown the fastest way to get into Coopernook and onto the road you need to travel on. Bangalow Rd (which is the road you're on at the end, point C) had some fairly substantial potholes in it, so while it might look good enough to tear along at a fair pace, some of the potholes were significant enough to make your wheels an aviation hazard - so once you leave the sealed road, take it easy.
Yep, definitely bad potholes and avoid pulling over to pass someone as much as possible. That road was where I collected a large nail and a slow leak when I pulled over.
Once you leave the sealed road at point 'A' in this map you'll cross the railway line at point 'B' - it's a little bridge, turn right when you go across and follow the road up and around to point C, which the road straight is actually signposted as "Omaras Rd" and not "Loop Rd". Turn left and just drive straight on up to the campsite at point 'D'.
it.

Another way is to take the road to Cundle, and once you cross the railway line(tight 25km zig zag), take the next right up into the forest. Apart from the bent cross roads, you basically arrive at the western edge of the camp ground.

Is the menu still steak, steak or steak :big_smile:
They do a mean raw steak with egg and parsley, but I think that is just a delicacy for their Japanese customers.

Any idea of pricing?

Might have to look at camping locally for a few days since we didn't get the chance to play mud larks at Woko NP on our way back from Qld.

We've eaten there a few times since March this year and haven't had to complain about undercooked food. In fact, it was perfect every time.

Meals are about $20 a head, although I think the t-bone from memory was $25 - it's a country-style cut, so it's quite a large piece of meat.

isn't there a forum member with a 2nd house in dungog ?
maybee we could all crash there?
but so far both dates are no good for me unless i take a sickie or 2

Latest posts

Back