NSW Events - Nov & Dec 2011

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely want to do some travelling south of here, but have to take it a little easy this side of Christmas. Have spent a few too many coins on things recently - 70L aux diesel tank, GME 3540 80ch UHF, GME 6.6dB broomstick, ARB compressor, deflators, inflator, plus scored a new pair of water tanks for the caravan, grabbed a snatch block while I was browsing around and that's before I've filled the tank again.

I'm going to draw up a schedule soon and will post it in the NSW subsection. I want to spread things around - camping here, coffee there tavern up that way, scenic drive over this way. I'll get that done soon.

How about we meet in jindabyne

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

My sister lives in east jindy, im down there a bit through winter and will be down for a week or so over the xmas break.

Where do you go 4 wheeling? If you know some good spots i would be keen to tag along.

Is there any where out around guthega that's worth a look?

Went on the Watagans drive yesterday and stumbled upon "something for everyone".

Here's a map - and you can click on the map to go to the real Google Map so that you can zoom in etc.

We meet around lunchtime at point A. It's a corner with a parking area for people wanting to visit the cemetery. Point B is just a marker to make Google Maps go the right way, as is Point C.

Point D is a nice little spot (takes about 1.5-2 hours to get there from B) that happens to have some mudholes and obstacles perfect for someone wanting to splash around. When we were there, we saw a couple of other vehicles but nobody playing. I'm not sure how deep the holes were, you'd have to wade through to make sure there weren't sticks or something in there to puncture your tyres, but it looked like fun could be had. There's an area over to the side here that ought to be good to set up chairs and have afternoon tea.

The drive up through points E and F (again, placemarkers to make sure Google maps went the right way) is interesting, definitely requires picking a line in places as the ruts are deeper than our tyres would manage. In places we had to slow to 10km/h or less.

There are side roads that have challenging tracks. Some are lengthy, we didn't have the ramp-over clearance to do Bowman Rd after about 200m so we turned around and went back to the main road.

This ends in Doyalson which is convenient for both north and south (not so good for west but better than a trip to Salamander Bay, for instance).

I'm easy on the date still - if people could let me know if the 3rd December is free?

Attachments

• wataganforesttrip.JPG
    wataganforesttrip.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 86
3rd December is no good for me Tony, any weekend in January is fine at the moment. The route looks good, although as Craig has said you have missed some tracks.

Just past the milk bar at Freemans Waterhole heading south is a largish quarry easiest accessed by Oswald Lane. It has a large water-crossing that is optional and some steep climbs, a good place for a group photo aswell.

Just north of this on Palmers Rd is the short track that goes up behind the paintball place, easy in the dry but if its been wet can be lots of fun for those that are into that.

Further north you can get onto Sugarloaf Range Road and head for the towers with the option of a BBQ lunch at the top of Mount Sugarloaf. I have driven this track in low range taking hours but last time i drove it approx 12 months ago i did it entirely in 2wd in about 20 minutes.

The old train tunnels through the back of Seahampton and stockrington are also scenic but unsure of those track conditions as it was about 3 years since i drove that one.

There are a few other tracks i know around the Freemans area if you are interested.

Don't worry about the 3rd then, I was just hoping it might be free so Brad & Bec could come along.

I wasn't sure if everyone wanted to get their rigs dirty, so I thought a nice drive to a mudhole for playing in followed by a nice drive and dinner would cover all the bases.

When I get my lift kit I'll become more adventurous, but as you know I have personal reasons for not lifting my Navara yet.

I'm also thinking that if we can't get Brad and Bec out on the 10th, we might just go for drinks somewhere closer to their home - as many who can make it are welcome!

It's ok Tony, thanks anyway. I would have been workin on the 3rd anyway mate. I work two weekends then have two off. I'm off on the 17th and the 24th which is Xmas so that's out. I'll catch up with you's at sometime buddy.
Regards Brad.

If we do the circuit I mapped out (given that it ends up in the place we want to go to), can we reach these tracks, and how long would it add to the journey (time-wise)? Remember it won't be just you and me, there could be a dozen of us.

The mapped track should take a group of us about 4 to 5 hours. Add some time at the "playground" (point D) for afternoon tea/mucking about and we arrive at Doyalson for dinner time if we start at around noon on Jilliby Rd. We need to add the time for the track you want to do so we know when to start.

No no, coopernook is on the 26th & 27th of November, the 17 th of December we are just meeting up for a couple of drinks before Xmas.

We're doing the Watagan run on 10th Dec, I'm just going to sit in the Hunter River hotel for a couple of cold ones on the 17th.

Coopernook - we can travel in a group no problem at all, it's about 3.5 hours if you take it easy. What time do you want to leave? If nobody objects, we can meet at Heatherbrae just north of the Shell servo - take a look at this street view. See the white truck parked on the right side of the screen, north of the Shell? Good place to park and wait, there's plenty of room and the road is straight so we get plenty of time to move off as a group.

Latest posts

Back