Penrite Enviro+

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just curious if any one has been running Penrite Enviro+ 5w40? I have a auto 07 d40 diesel with DPF. this oil meets all manufacturer specs ( as far as i can tell anyway) and seems to be alright. only negative is shes a bit rattly on cold startup compared to the castrol 10w-30 that NIssan put in on the major service. Suspect just because of how thin it is.

Any comments?

Hi Guys,

Just curious if any one has been running Penrite Enviro+ 5w40? I have a auto 07 d40 diesel with DPF. this oil meets all manufacturer specs ( as far as i can tell anyway) and seems to be alright. only negative is shes a bit rattly on cold startup compared to the castrol 10w-30 that NIssan put in on the major service. Suspect just because of how thin it is.

Any comments?

Mate Penrite Enviro+ is the only oil you can use for a dpf vehicle. it is specifically designed for the dpf vehicles. I use it in my d22 yd25 and it gives me heaps better fuel economy and feels nicer to drive over the 10w-40 stuff nissn put in. which is as stated castrol anyway.

i have never had an issue and actually prefer it over the semi syn castrol(nissan oil) stuff thats used. i guess long term will tell if it breaks anything which it shouldnt cause its fully synthetic and is better for the motor.

Rusty

yeah, pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I wanted a full synthetic and it was the only oil that seemed to meet all requirements in a full syn, and specified for dpf. Definitely runs a lot smoother on the enviro+, just the harsh startup that had me asking questions.

a friend runs genuine nissan 5w30, but my dealer said the castrol was the one, which i thought was a bit bizarre. so went straight back to the penrite which i had used previously. that was when i noticed the rattly start up. once it gains pressure runs great.

Cheers for your thoughts Rusty

Being a thinner oil to start with it may sound rattly but it may be nothing. The 10w-30 may be alrite only if its fully synthetic and dpf approved. I might even be able to go to penrite semi syn 5w-40 and still get good fuel economy. the 10w stuff was a lil to thick for me and used to much juice.

Specifically the oil has to meet JASO FD (which is the same as API CF-4). This is "extremely low ash" - designed to be combusted. It's because the oil can pass through the PCV into the intake and be burnt and ejected to the DPF. Normal oil would produce large particles that may not be removed by a regen thus destroying the DPF ($4K anyone?).

If you're getting the typical clack-clack of the cold injectors, run the tank as close as you can to empty then try a tankful of BP from a truck stop. My injectors seem to be a little quieter - I might be wishing harder than usual - but give it a go and see how you feel about it.

Hey Tony,

Whats the theory on a tank of BP diesel?

i try to use BP Diesel where i can, just because of previous research on fuels, Bp tends to be cleanest and of good quality and consistent quality. not to concerned now, mainly in my younger days riding motos.

Mate Penrite Enviro+ is the only oil you can use for a dpf vehicle.

actually,
Shell Ultra Extra 5W-30 is suitable/made for DPF compatibility,
Castrol Edge Sport 0W-30...same
Castrol OEM-SLX professional...same
Mobil, Havoline, Nulon etc have DPF compatible oils as well

Someone mentioned (in this forum) that they'd found BP to quieten their diesel a bit. I've been using Shell, mostly, and Caltex as a second preference, so I thought I'd try a tankful and see how it went.

Last tank I ran it down to a little bit remaining and filled it with 75-odd litres. I'm not convinced my injectors are quieter, I'm not convinced my economy is any better or that I have more power, but after this tank I'm going back to Shell to see if the thing gets noisier.

It's all subjective - I'm not measuring the volume with a recording device, so my results will be mostly perception. The economy figures will have some factual basis.

Old.Tony said:
Someone mentioned (in this forum) that they'd found BP to quieten their diesel a bit. I've been using Shell, mostly, and Caltex as a second preference, so I thought I'd try a tankful and see how it went.

Last tank I ran it down to a little bit remaining and filled it with 75-odd litres. I'm not convinced my injectors are quieter, I'm not convinced my economy is any better or that I have more power, but after this tank I'm going back to Shell to see if the thing gets noisier.

It's all subjective - I'm not measuring the volume with a recording device, so my results will be mostly perception. The economy figures will have some factual basis.

Everytime
I've used shell diesel i find my consumption gets worse.
I use salted vortex religiously and love it. Nav seems to run smoother, pull harder and easily get 650 out of the tank.

I used Vortex last week coming home from SA, all but about 3ks of the tank was done in highway mode and never noticed a difference in fuel consumption or noise reduction, wasn't worse on either point either but it wasn't enough to make me scream yeehaaaaaaaaaaa

actually,
Shell Ultra Extra 5W-30 is suitable/made for DPF compatibility,
Castrol Edge Sport 0W-30...same
Castrol OEM-SLX professional...same
Mobil, Havoline, Nulon etc have DPF compatible oils as well

Add to that list Fuchs Titan GT1 5w30..

Latest posts

Back