Castrol EdgeTitanium in my D40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tappet

Reaction score
Have been using Penrite HPR 5W~40 in my Manual (No DPF) Changing the oil and filter every 5,000K's.

Thinking of swaping to Castrol Edge Titanium 0W~40 and leaving it in for 10,000K's. Looks the goods. Marketing blurp say it's the best oil they have ever made... Does meet the hand book specs, as in it is a CF oil and B4 rated.

Just throwing it out there for any budding oil gurus.. Do you think it's a good idea and if not why not.

Have a look at the 5w-40 diesel magnatec. Even though it is in the grey bottle its is fully synthetic oils as per castrols spec sheet and adverts. I am thinking of swapping my Nulon oils to the castrols

I had used the required 10w-40 specified by Nissan and also purchased the genuine oil at times. Found it to heavy and the tensioner didn't adjust quick enough for my liking. Comes to personal opinion. I want my car to last 200000-300000kms with minimal fuss, so I use better oils and stuff to reduce my chances of broken iteks

Im using a fully syn 5w-40.

Siringo. I just listen for the ticking in the morning which is the timing chain waiting to be tensioned.

Rusty

Hi RustyNav09,
Magnatec is not actually a fully synthetic, the only true fully synthetics are mobil1, for us diesel boys Mobil1 Delvac, and amsoil make a fully synthetic.

Magnatec and others are a 'group 3' oil which is very highly refined but is still made from a crude oil base.

Mobil1 is a 'group 4' made from Poly Alfa Olifin (POA and excuse the spelling) while still a hydrocarbon, it comes from a gas to liquid process

My sources?
A colleague of mine at work recently just finished up 12 years as a mobil distributor for oil and lubricants, and was with BP before that.

Here is a good read for all thsoe interested
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/index.html

my 2c
> Mobil1 Delvac is the ducks nuts!
> Castrol and Penrite make decent oils.
> I think nobody does their product branding and marketing better than castrol! (The company I work for sells castrol exclusively)

Shan

Hi RustyNav09,
Magnatec is not actually a fully synthetic, the only true fully synthetics are mobil1, for us diesel boys Mobil1 Delvac, and amsoil make a fully synthetic.

Magnatec and others are a 'group 3' oil which is very highly refined but is still made from a crude oil base.

Mobil1 is a 'group 4' made from Poly Alfa Olifin (POA and excuse the spelling) while still a hydrocarbon, it comes from a gas to liquid process

My sources?
A colleague of mine at work recently just finished up 12 years as a mobil distributor for oil and lubricants, and was with BP before that.

Here is a good read for all thsoe interested
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/index.html

my 2c
> Mobil1 Delvac is the ducks nuts!
> Castrol and Penrite make decent oils.
> I think nobody does their product branding and marketing better than castrol! (The company I work for sells castrol exclusively)

Shan

So true about Castrol Marketing.. They are the kings of it. The marketing, Product application understanding and availiability is why I chose to use Castrol in my Nissan.

As I am getting more patriotic in my old age, I am now changing to Penrite to support Aussie made when my current Castrol stock runs out.

Regards
Greg

Thanks for the replies. And thanks for the link shan. Interesting reading. Looks like oils with a wide viscosity ratings can have there drawbacks to .

Rusty Nav that was part of my line of thought regarding the viscosity. Like the lower the lower number the faster flow when cold. We have heard so many times before that most of the damage is done during the cold start. As for the Magnatec. Like the idea of the molecular attraction thing. Looking at a gecko on the ceiling now so it is a very real thing :) Although I to thought it was a semi syn oil.

Not the first time I have heard Mobil 1 Delvac is the ducks nuts but where do you buy that stuff?

I would say Motul. Its magical in any engine, race engines looks like new when rebuilt after a while.
Keeps oil pressure real good, handle hard beating even in low viscosity. Keeps engine clean and minimal deposit buildups.
Motul 300V FactoryLine Double Ester. And 5w30/5w40 depending on outside temp. 100% Synthetic Above all current quality standards.

Last edited:
Hey tappet,
I get my Mobil1 Delvac from my colleague who used to work for the distributor. If you want to use it, and you are in Melbs or there about, Petrogas is the best place to look he says.
It's astonishing that such a great product is so hard to find!

Olis ain't oils

Read a report, comparing full synthetic motor oils, in a muscle car magazine and the Castrol Titanium didn't even rate a mention!!!!!!!!!!!
Food for thought?

Latest posts

Back