Fraser Trip in December

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBoy89

Reaction score
Heading up to Fraser for 6-7 days after Chrissy.
Any tips or hints would be great.
Accessories to take, anything to note.

Last edited:
Might even get her some rubber....
Gloves to clean with.
Ok ok let's keep this one on topic for once please

Diesel. you only allowed to carry 50ltrs now but, it was $1.89 a couple of months ago when i was there.
Try to pick a week or weekend when the tides are lowest at midday it gives you more time to drive on the beach up the top end of the island without having to rush. if it windy try get to the barge early if your vechile is last on its up the front of the barge in really rough conditions you will have salt water splashing straight over the top of your car which is not cool in my eyes if you one of the first six on you are at the back of the barge and almost under cover depending which barge you are on.
Dont go and eat at the resort not kingfisher the other one. the name has illuded me atm but i payed forty dolars for a microwave steak that was uneatable so stick to your bangas lol.
Lot alcoholic beverages ;)

Check out not the last one but the one before 4wd action dvd. they did Fraser and was a good dvd!

also wave to me as you drive through Maryborough! No you will most likely go across from inskip!

bryan

6-7 days isn't much time on Fraser but my tip is to check the tides carefully and then EXPLORE! I assume your hitting the island from Inskip point? Drop your tyres BEFORE you try to get on the barge. Hit the barge as early as possible to give you plenty of time to explore and find a place to set up camp. Stick to the beach if you want to travel fast but
beware of the many washouts. There are heaps of great inland tracks. Def drive in to, Lake Birrabeen (like Mackenzie but less visited) and Central Station and float down Eli Creek to the beach. The walk to Lake Wabby is well rewarded with a swim and the walk up Indian Head gives a great view.
In my opinion the best part of the island is in the far north but it depends on your needs/wants as to where you decide to make base camp. Sandy Cape lighthouse is amazing but Nkgala Rocks can be tricky and sometimes impassable. The further north you go the less d*$%heads in hire vehicles (and people in general) you will see. The west of the island is better than beautiful but don't stand still in the shade (billions of mozzies lurk in the shadows) and don't drive on the beach or you'll be axle deep in dugong poo and most likely stay there!
Any other questions FatBoy? Post them up and i'm sure we help you.
Joffo

Cheers for the info fellas. As I'll be on my own im not sure if I'll be hitting nkgala rocks. Although i really would love to. I have watched that 4wd action DVD. It's pretty good.
I'm pretty excited.! I'm wondering if I should get the body lift and 33's done before i go.. Doubt I'll need it

You won't need any more lift. Standard 4wdrives do it fine. Its the people driving them that make hard work of it! Also keep your eye out for the softroaders (subaru or xtrails etc). You usually see one of those stuck on a jump-up somewhere!
Don't be too worried about getting stuck - (provided you're above the high tide mark). Genuine 4wdrivers are more than willing to snatch each other out for a 6 pack of goldies ;)

Perfect thread I'm planning on going in September so this helps me out too. Any
Opinions on really good spots to fish?
Sorry for ambushing thread

Mate i went there not long ago only went up to indian heads as we were only there for 2 days i honestly usesd 4wd once for 30 seconds cause i got caught up on one of the dingo grids lol drove everywhere in 2wd even the inland tracks to lake mckanzie or however you spell it.
And i wasnt driving like some knob churning up the tracks in 2wd it was just a stroll in the park pocking around no wheel spin. thats in a stock standard d22.
Ps have fun getting the sand out when you get back to the real world all those fresh water run outs just fill the underside with sand its a pita to clean

Hey fatboy... definetly try to get to the top of fraser dont worry about nagala i went through on my own. just use common sense and plan your tides so you can walk up to the light house... Btw if you see the sighn at the light house track world war 2 bunkers >>>, dont bother its just s big hole in the ground lol.... if your on your own aroung x- mas there will be lots of peopel to help if needed. but a set of max trax would get u out of any trouble if no one is around. particularly coming back over nagala... Have fun you lucky bugger........

Mate i went there not long ago only went up to indian heads as we were only there for 2 days i honestly usesd 4wd once for 30 seconds cause i got caught up on one of the dingo grids lol drove everywhere in 2wd even the inland tracks to lake mckanzie or however you spell it.
And i wasnt driving like some knob churning up the tracks in 2wd it was just a stroll in the park pocking around no wheel spin. thats in a stock standard d22.
Ps have fun getting the sand out when you get back to the real world all those fresh water run outs just fill the underside with sand its a pita to clean

In summer its really dry/hot and the sand becomes like powder on the tracks, Last time I went there 4wd was engaged pretty much the whole time, the bloody tour busses don't help either making these super wide ruts that you then have to push through, I ended up pulling over and letting a V6 pajero go first behind this bus I was following.

My advice is take plenty of bug spray (one that stops sand flies ideally) and you shouldn't need to much fuel I was there for a week and only used a single tank (had 40L reserve in jerry cans though), Lake McKenzie will be packed it always is as said though lake birrabeen is the same thing just 1/10 the people. Indian head sees alot of stuck 4wd's so expect the sand to be really churned up there especially from the morons that try to pull their titanics through to get to waddy point.

the road into kingfisher bay is shithouse (probably the worst one on the island) they might have fixed it now but there were drop offs in the road about waist high last I used it so be careful but the restaurants are not to bad there, one does all you can eat themed nights (seafood, steak ect) and there is another one open for lunch and dinner that does things like pizzas, fish&chips ect which is on the beach with a swimming pool.

Central station I guess is something you might want to see, although I thought it kind of boring reading about how we used to rape the island for its forests and sand since we learnt that in geography at school. You will probably spend most of the time just fishing though by the sound of it so just keep an eye out for traffic, not everyone up there has the common sense to give people on the beach a wide berth when driving past.
if your on your own aroung x- mas there will be lots of peopel to help if needed. but a set of max trax would get u out of any trouble if no one is around. particularly coming back over nagala... Have fun you lucky bugger........

Also agree with this, for sand driving maxtrax are a revelation.

Yeah I'll take some Max trax with me. I'm
Pretty pumped as it was the mrs idea. I will leave the lift and just get the more Important things done before I got. Still need to buy my fridge and stuff. Looking at going the Engel MR40F.

Your probably better off not going over with 33" MT tyres as well, last time I was there I had the stock duelers (D693 or whatever they are) and they seemed to do the job fine at 22psi.

Hi,
Been to Fraser a few times now and going again next month for fishing. Have not been in summer but have heard the March flies can be thick in the warmer months near the coast, not so bad in the middle.
As for fishing there are plenty of great gutters to get a feed out of, beware if you look like you are catching anything you will have blokes lined up either side of you.
If camping on the beach be sure to get a couple of solar bags and fill them from the fresh creeks that are everywhere, makes for a great shower at the end of a day.
James

Latest posts

Back