navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate

Reaction score
hi there we already have a nissan pathfinder and are looking at buying a navara for my husband he will be using it for work and also to tow our boat and caravan so am looking for some odvice on the stx and str and manual verses auto thanks so much

Hi Kate, welcome to the forums.
To me the differences between the auto and manual are laziness. For touring and towing on longer distances I wouldn't trade an auto for quids but then I'm purely a lazy driver who's spent too many years driving trucks with 16 speed boxes in them so I figure I've done enough gear changes in my time.
I also chose the D40 for some of the extra 'standard' features that it has over the D22 which I figured would make my life easier and given that I wont be thrashing it around the bush I figured the limo version was a better choice as a tourer. I would nearly have brought the hatchback (Pathy) version had the price not been higher and the storage space less.
Also 200kg's on the towball may not makes a huge difference because people have towed more than what is recommend but if I remember correctly the D22 is only suppose to pull 2800kgs where as the D40 can pull 3000kgs, but neither figure means much unless your boat or van is that heavy.
I did my homework on all the dual cabs on the market before I brought mine and in the end I just ended up with a head ache so I think more than anything it still comes down to personal preference but I could be wrong and maybe I should have brought the D22 instead of the D40.

Hi Kate,

It would be easier to give a reply if we have a bit more detail on how it's to be used. What sort of work does hubby do, size of caravan and boat, age of kids if any etc?

The STX (commonly referred to here as D40) is a bit more refined, while the STR (D22) is more of a workhorse and not as high-tech, ie a lot older design. Personally, for towing, I'd rather use a manual vehicle, but the auto is said to be quite good.

If you want auto you will have no choice but to get ST-X, ST-R's are manual only as far as I know.

They are quite different cars, so test drive both and see what you think. The ST-X has a lot more room but is a lot bigger car. The auto's are a bit thirsty too I beleive.

Either ute will do the job you want.

Personally I love my D22 but see what suits you better.

Dave.

Are you buying new or used?
If new I would go D40, used then I would go the D22.

I feel sorry for the person who buys my ute when I trade in a few years time...

As has been said, both will do the job, just go for whichever one you like better/fits the budget.

D22 is only available in manual like Matt said.

Hi Kate, welcome to the forums.

It's usually bad form to ask the same question in two different threads (cross posting) but we'll let you off because you're new :)

Just gets a little confusing sometimes. I answered you in the other thread :p

Last edited:
I have the STX diesel auto, absolutely love it, only fault as Matt says, VERY thirsty around town, not bad on highway though.
I have a quintrex 5.7m boat & it tows fine, you can tell its there but it is 1.4tons so you would on anything.
I'd go the STX, very car like to drive & ride in

hi sorry if i offened u like u said im new so didnt know thanks kate

Its also because most of us regulars use the 'view new posts' tab at the top of the main page so the thread comes up twice.

No sweat, we'll forgive ya ;)

Hi Kate,

I was recently in the market for a new Navara and looked at the D22 and D40. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify the additional $10K for a fancy interior. I like the stick for shifting into low range and don't trust a button on the dash.

The D22 is a bit simple, but it tows hard, looks sweet and fits into car parking spaces better than my old Patrol. A few after market bits make it much nicer like Cruise, tints, better stereo etc.

I'm glad I chose the D22 again but it suits my budget, requirements and style. Both utes will do what you want, just one is bigger and fancier than the other . :wink:

Take em both for a test drive.

Cheers,

DJ

We chose the STX (D40) because it has an auto and when we get a fifth wheeler (2900Kg), I don't want to be replacing clutches at every second set of lights and three times up Mt Victoria.

The other consideration is the STX has more room in the rear seat area than the STR (D22). Have a look at two of them side-by-side, the D40's rear door is longer, and my 17yo daughter has sat in both and says the D40 is roomer in the back.

I've read (a lot) about how poorly the clutch performs with the turbo diesel. It's due to the enormous torque the engine develops - the average person (me included) thinks nothing of bringing the RPM up to 2,000 for a hill start and that's right at the peak torque for the engine. Combine that with an under-spec clutch and it's no wonder some people are complaining about replacing it (out of warranty, I've seen figures of $2,500+ ) and with as short a lifespan as 18,000-20,000km.

Auto all the way for me, and the luxury of an STX as well - I'm getting on in years, and this is my first brand new car (had two brand new bikes, but all cars have been 2nd hand). That may have also influenced the choice of shiny trinkets and inclusions.

All the best with whichever one you choose.

Cheers
Tony

str stx

thanks for your reply my husband wants a auto this time as he has enough of a manual we will be towing a small boat and 14ft caravan so just wanted to know what the auto was like for towing he will all so be towing a tradesman trailer each day for work and we have three boys that will be sitting in the back so need room for them to comfy thanks

We chose the STX (D40) because it has an auto and when we get a fifth wheeler (2900Kg), I don't want to be replacing clutches at every second set of lights and three times up Mt Victoria.

The other consideration is the STX has more room in the rear seat area than the STR (D22). Have a look at two of them side-by-side, the D40's rear door is longer, and my 17yo daughter has sat in both and says the D40 is roomer in the back.

I've read (a lot) about how poorly the clutch performs with the turbo diesel. It's due to the enormous torque the engine develops - the average person (me included) thinks nothing of bringing the RPM up to 2,000 for a hill start and that's right at the peak torque for the engine. Combine that with an under-spec clutch and it's no wonder some people are complaining about replacing it (out of warranty, I've seen figures of $2,500+ ) and with as short a lifespan as 18,000-20,000km.

Auto all the way for me, and the luxury of an STX as well - I'm getting on in years, and this is my first brand new car (had two brand new bikes, but all cars have been 2nd hand). That may have also influenced the choice of shiny trinkets and inclusions.

All the best with whichever one you choose.

Cheers
Tony

hi tony thanks for your post just have a few questions if you dont mind , we are getting 4oo km out of my patherfinder and it costs us $70 to fil it up, how does that compare witht he narava d40 auto thanks kate

I'll have to let you know when ours arrives. We're only marginally ahead of you - we've done our homework, shopped around, checked the goods and bads and do's and don'ts and settled on the Navara D40 STX auto turbo diesel.

I've been expecting a call from the dealer to let me know how it's going, and haven't heard yet, but they've got a fair few things to bolt on and that won't happen overnight.

I'll have to get back to you on it - I'm sure there's a thread around here that directly answers your question now. Ahh, here it is:

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=39

Fingers crossed I pressed the right buttons for that link to appear!

Cheers
Tony

Latest posts

Back