boost gauge install help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddogrc

Reaction score
hey all,
while cleaning out the garage today i found myself a boost gauge (vac/pres. one) and also a cruise control unit, lol. it hasnt been cleaned in a while and i swear i didnt buy it!

my question about installing the boost gauge is which tube do i splice into to put a T joint in so that i can hook up the gauge? i can see like 3 black rubber tubes coming from the turbo area (one which i know is the waste gate controller (i think) ) and the other 2 i'm not sure of.

theres also a metal tube that goes into the turbo area which has another 2 tubes connecting into it (like a Y section), but i'm not sure if thats it.

cheers all!

Just put a "T" piece in the pressure line to the MAP sensor as per my pic and run it into the cabin for your boost guage.

If the guage flutters you will need to melt the "T" piece pipe to the guage and make it so there is only a pin hole on the guage side.

Diesels wont show vacum but the boost part will work fine.

Attachments

• 04012009(001).jpg
    04012009(001).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,904
anyone recomend a good boost gauge/controller to get? keen to get one.

i see a small think right angle tube like in the pic on my turbo pipe, except the tube leads to what looks like the waste gate control (a round sorta box with a long rod sticking out of it going to a control lever).

apart from that i dont see any of the similar going into the pipe work? also there are no sensors or wires going near my turbo area.

i have an EGR, and at the start of it there is like a box with a power connector and a big black rectangle cover with a hose going into the block, then out about 100mm to the egr tube. thats not it is it?

Last edited:
Ok...

Is it a ZD30 engine you got?

Either way if you put a "T" piece into the wastegate line that you have described then it will work fine.

Just make sure that the boost guage hose is either a tight fit or has a clamp on it as if it comes off with the pressure the turbo will over boost.

"T" into the wastegate actuator line no worries mate.

NO ! ! ! !

there is no boost type wastegate on the YD25. its the same as the D40, its a vac control line for the variable turbo. DO NOT FIT BOOSTGUAGE ON IT !

find the maf/boost sensor line and T into that. just check they didn't do anything weird like mount the maf sensor directly into the intercooler.
edit: going by the D40 and early YD25 D22 manuals it looks like the map sensor is built into the drivers side of the intercooler. that means you will have to tap the intake manifold for a connection or use an electronic boost gauge and connect it to the map sensor.

Last edited:
You should be able to tap into any line that comes from the outlet side of the turbo. There has to be one.

A vacuum/boost gauge is a closed line and will not affect what you tapping into.

i'm picking there is no line.
turbo is vacuum controlled and map sensor is most likely built into intercooler.
AFAIK there is nothing else in the vehicle thats requires boost pressure.

NO ! ! ! !

there is no boost type wastegate on the YD25. its the same as the D40, its a vac control line for the variable turbo. DO NOT FIT BOOSTGUAGE ON IT !

Not according to the 2008 D22 manual, YD25DDTi (common rail engine), looks just like an everyday waste gate turbo to me.

Diagram

Check the diagram against your turbo maddog and see if it looks the same, if it has that hose feeding off the turbo outlet into the wastegate actuator, that's the one to tee into.

Last edited:
Shonky just gave you the answer. If yours looks like that then it has a wastgate and you use that line.

Its from the Nissan workshop manual. Money well spent id say :13:

Not according to the 2008 D22 manual, YD25DDTi (common rail engine), looks just like an everyday waste gate turbo to me.

Diagram

Check the diagram against your turbo maddog and see if it looks the same, if it has that hose feeding off the turbo outlet into the wastegate actuator, that's the one to tee into.

to me it looks like the pic is either wrong (not uncommon in manuals to have incorrect info) or is the 2007 model (NZ got the older 2.5 as well).
every bit of info i've seen says it has variable turbo. with its low compression it certainly needs it ! unfortunately my photos don't show the turbo clear enough.

also putting a gauge on the turbo tends to show incorrect boost anyway, especially when intercoolers are fitted. its far better to measure boost at the inlet manifold end.

have a look at the turbo, just do not mistake the vac controller for a boost one.
the variable turbo will have the vac hose going away from the turbo to a little box with a few wires coming out and the normall turbo will have the hose feeding straight back into the turbo.

I'm beginning to think you might be right about the variable turbo, I just had a quick look for some press releases regarding the 2.5 D22 Navara and everything I've seen so far says it's a variable turbo, so the manual could very well be incorrect in this instance. The manual is dated Jan 2008, so it could have changed not long after this, from memory the D22 2.5 was released in Aus late in Jan 2008

to throw fat into the fire i do not see anything on nissan site about it having variable turbo.

also typically the acuator stands out as its in an odd direction compared to normall turbo's.
unfortunatly i just can't see the acuator in the pics, it must be under a lotof the pipes/heatshields.

to throw fat into the fire i do not see anything on nissan site about it having variable turbo.

also typically the acuator stands out as its in an odd direction compared to normall turbo's.
unfortunatly i just can't see the acuator in the pics, it must be under a lotof the pipes/heatshields.

After a bit of looking round, I found the press release below that says it is a variable turbo charger, so maddog as per tweak'e suggestions, look for a hose after the intercooler on the intake piping to splice into, or show us some more pics of the intake piping before and after the intercooler.

http://www.nissan.com.au/news_pdfs/20080131_NAVARA_D22.pdf

Latest posts

Back