boost gauge install help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rubber hose on the actuator on the turbo, where does that go to? An electronic valve or just back in to the inlet pipe before the intercooler? If it's into the inlet pipe that's where I'd hook it up since going after the intercooler isn't going to happen by the looks.

yerp, that lil 90 degree bend in the pipe is connected to the actuator via that thin tube.

i'm guessing thats how the waste gate is controlled, by the pressure in the manifold?

so my pictures confirm its a variable turbo, right? or is the whole variable turbo thing a lie?

well it looks like i'm wrong (and a lot of review sites too).

those pics certainly show a typical waste gated turbo not a variable one.
i wonder if there is any differences between 2WD and 4WD models ??

Shonky, can you have a look in the manual for engine specs. i would be surprised if they still had the 16:1 compression with a standard turbo. i think the D40 motor runs a couple of lb boost at idle which makes up for the low compression.

if it has the low compression plus the standard type turbo that certain would explain comments of lag and also why its so darn gutless.

i certainly am interested to see what boost it produces through the rev range.

The only compression info I can find in the manual on the YD is in the 2006 one, compression info isn't mentioned in the 2008 manual, but it in the 2006 one that the compression ratio is 18:1.

isnt the variable turbo just one where the blades on the inside adjust to the exhaust flow or something?

how does it having a typical waste gate mean its not variable? its still an internal waste gate isnt it?

update: found this

A new turbocharger with a variable nozzle turbine (VNT) sharpens the engine's responses and also helps lower emissions, while the addition of an intercooler, mounted ahead of the radiator, increases power. The compression ratio is now 16.5 to 1.

also, heres a variable turbo pic:
vnt_turbo.jpg

i'm going to try and see if that second actuator is on the turbo

Last edited:
The only compression info I can find in the manual on the YD is in the 2006 one, compression info isn't mentioned in the 2008 manual, but it in the 2006 one that the compression ratio is 18:1.

the old YD25 does have 18:1 compression and also normal type turbo.

that volvo pic is interesting as the actuator is different to the ones i've seen used on nissans. however early VNT turbos where operated by boost pressure rather than by ECU. edit: the volvo pic has two actuators, one is for a normal type wastegate which early ones did have. most that i've seen do not use this setup. they have one actuator, the one for the variable vanes.

with the variable turbo the vanes are the wastegate.

Last edited:
i see no second actuator and cant feel anything behind the turbo except for a few metal pipes leading into the turbo.

i did a bunch of random research on the turbo and just ended up going in a run around on google as the turbo model numbers/specs i put in linked me from turbo to turbo, but no actual specifications were stated

G'day guys, looking at putting a boost gauge in the D22, what brand of "T" peice do you guys put in the vacuum line, ie: is it brass, plastic and where did you get it from, Bunnings? Not sure if a bunnings one would be strong/good enough.

cheers,

Lance

for the ZD30 i simply used the one that comes with the gauge. just a basic plastic T with brass ends to it. it fits onto the pipe that goes to the boost sensor.

Just fitted the boost gauge, and guess what , it doesn't bloody work, wiring is all ok, but i don't have any pressure to the gauge, i checked and double checked, the only thing i can think of is i have a crook gauge.

Any ideas will be great

cheers,

Lance

Just fitted the boost gauge, and guess what , it doesn't bloody work, wiring is all ok, but i don't have any pressure to the gauge, i checked and double checked, the only thing i can think of is i have a crook gauge.

Any ideas will be great

cheers,

Lance

All good, pinched the air line

So have we confirmed where to install the gauge on the YD25 engine?

I have just bought a Auto meter Boost gauge for my 2008 D22 (Jap build) and just wanting to confirm this before installing. Also did you guys getting hosing with your boost gauges?

I'm also interested on placement for boost line on the yd25 motor. I was thinking maybe getting a fitting braised onto the outlet/ cold side of the intercooler just before it bends down into the motor. Anyone else for ideas? I am looking at electronic boost and EGT combination gauge.

Just put a "T" piece in the pressure line to the MAP sensor as per my pic and run it into the cabin for your boost guage.

If the guage flutters you will need to melt the "T" piece pipe to the guage and make it so there is only a pin hole on the guage side.

Diesels wont show vacum but the boost part will work fine.

Hey Laith i recently installed a boost gauge onto my zd30 d22 i 'T' into the same vac line that is in your pic and used 3 zip ties on the T piece (plastic 3mm t piece) to prevent the hose coming off, now my gauge seems to make a sort of flutter noise, although the hose that came with the gauge i had to heat up in hot water to get it to go over the tpiece as the brass tpiece that came with it had a slightly smaller end for that hose but wouldnt fit the vac line. So the boost gauge hose is on really tight on the tpiece and at the other end on the other brass fitting at the gauge. Could this fluttering noise be caused by a leak?? Also my gauge reads bout max 14psi and thats when ya right up it and ya rev it high, it gets to bout 12 alright, could this be cause by a leak aswell? Im guna check that the gauge hose isnt pinched anywherebut yeah. Any help from anyone would be great

just me bumping an old thread. as titel says i need help installing my boost gauge. i just purchased a roadrunner brand boost gauge(ebay but has stepmaster motor etc). its is an electronic gauge and the kit came complete with everything that is needed for the install including the cup for the gauge itself.

i have an 09 model d22 and cant see where i need to T piece into the boost line to feed my hose off. plus im putting a boost controller in. so where should what go. boost controller before the boost gauge T piece or gauge then controller. i am gonna get it all fitted and wait for the chipit kit to rock up so i can use the hose that comes in there kit for a cleaner install.

2nd thing is, with it being electronic with a sender unit am i better of having the sender unit in the engine bay and feed the wires through a grommet into car or inside the car and feed the hose into the car through the grommet?

any pictures of people who have installed a boost gauge into a yd25 motor would be good. and how do i access the hose to be able to tap the line in, i cant seem to find it under all the shielding.

thanks
Rusty

Can anyone help a newb? Have a 2010 D22 ad a boost gauge i found in the shed. is there a picture to show where to hook my boost gauge up to? I have seen it tapped into the cold side on the intercooler. But if its easier to put a "T" into a line near the turbo i would prefer to do that

You sure can mate. Use the line between wastegatr and actuator I think. Smalle black hose that should be easily spotted from looking at the turbo. Cut it and T into it

Latest posts

Back