braid vs mono

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostin_7

Reaction score
Ok its time to replace the mono line on my surf rod.
Im considering braided line for the strength & no memory when on the reel for long periods of time.
But is it worth it over a good quality mono?

YOU CAN NOT GO PAST BRAID!!!

Thinner, no stretch, no memory, you will not look back!

Use a shock leader, rod length of mono or fluro carbon.

Learn to tie the correct knots.

I use braid on everything, from trout to barra, bar big fish trolling, (still use mono for this as I need the stretch).

Enjoy,

Cheers, John.

what guides do you have on the rod.
afaik cheap metal guides will get chewed by the braid.

As John said,braid with a 5 meter shock leader is what i use,i feel braid on it own could pull hooks.
Casts so well.

Hmm interesting opinions so far...
My rod has those guides with hard inners which seem to be made of a ceramic style material, so braid should be fine

DON'T do it and I mean it! I changed my surf rod to braid a while ago worst idea ever. 1st cast with it and nearly cut my finger off. Cos the braid being so thin and went to cast like normal wasn't fun. Now I can't cast it half as far as my other surf rod with mono. Plus like others have said sand and what not goes all through it and weaken it. Mono is plenty strong enough just use your drag.

I spooled some braid onto the Alvey once and due to the sweep at the time it made a hell of mess with twists and knotted that badly I couldn't cast. I am a big fan of braid however after that session I respooled with mono and for me that is all I will use for beach/surf and use braid for other styles.

WayneD4T

I use braid for everything, go for power pro or fins , both relatively cheap for pretty good line . As for beach fishing it helps get further casts but as the boys said use a good rod length or 2 for a bit of stretch and abrasion resistance

Can't say I'm a fan of braid. Have used both but I keep going back to mono.

Braid is great but not for the surf, the smallest amount of weed will make you regret it.

what crap...I use braid on every rod including surf...I can feel every bite with it and if you cant cast with it then your doing something wrong.....loosing fingers etc....what amateurs...learn to cast and youll be fine..

ok guys well im a little confused with which way to go. Ive always used mono, but ever since i saw braid on a mates rod ive been keen to give it a shot.
If ive got the extra cash available to blow on braid plus flouro leader at the time Ill probably go that way.
Otherwise I'm keen to try out the platypus lo stretch, which is supposed to have the sensitivity braid but with a tiny amount of stretch to avoid pulling hooks.

CRAP!

If you live near Penrith email me and I will give you some braid for free, just to prove the point, all you have to do is come and get it.

Cheers, John

PS welcome to the 20th centrury, LOL

Ha ha thanks for the offer mate but im all the down in Adelaide.
Ive heard power pro is decent braid for the price...
Any tips on a good knot to join the braid to a leader?

Power pro is excelent line, 80% of my braid is power pro, fireline is good if you like stiffer line.
For beach work I would use 20 or 30lb powerpro with 18 or 25lb flurocarbon.
Berkley is ok and cheap, black magic is more expensive but better.
Learn to tie a good knot and you will not look back, cheers, John.

thanks for the tips mate.
I cant wait for salmon season this year. First time with a 4X4 to get to the spots ive always wanted to fish/surf.

Braid or mono

M8, Power braid is great ,i have used braid worth over $100 a spool,
great gear but too expensive,most off my reels now have power braid on them, the only time i use mono it is finess fishing on bream,most of the time it is 3lb floro,there is no need to use all the braid on 1 reel,put cheap mono on 3/4 off reel than top up with 60 meters of braid,got my power braid off ebay about $10 per reel
:shooter::shooter::shooter::shooter:

Latest posts

Back