New Member looking at a hard worked 03 ST-R

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Range Runner

Reaction score
Hi Y'all! My local Ford dealer has 03 ST-R diesel, in just traded condition, for $17K. It's only got 140K klms on it. But they've been hard klms. I haven't talked to the Salesman who traded it yet, but it looks like it was used as a farm ute from new, with scrapes & minor dents all over it. The car yard is going to detail & RWC it before selling it. So it remains to be seen whether it'll need a re-spray or not. Though I'd expect it would.
My question relates to what kind of mechanical wear & tear I should be looking for. Given the vehicles hard life. I'm going to get them to put it on a hoist tomorrow. So I can check it out underneath. I know to check all the rubbers & bushes, & make sure there's nothing loose. But are there any known stressed areas that I should be checking for cracks &/or deformities?
I'm a bit worried about the 3l motor, as it's got such a bad rep in the Patrol. But, as I understand it from reading this forum, that motor isn't such a problem in the Navaro. Is that because it's in a lower state of tune (ie less stressed), or is it the lack of the intercooler? Or a combination of both?
Anyhow thanks a lot, in advance, for any advice offered. I'll end with the most important question yet. Should I look favourably on this poor abused Ute? Or should I keep looking for something better?
PS I'll be trading a 02 Kia Sportage with 100K klms on it, new tyres, new timing belt & disc pads, in VGC with 6 mths reg. & I won't take less than $8K for it. What sort of change-over price should I aim for?
Thanks
RR

Transfer chain! Put it in 4L and do some circles on a grassy patch somewhere or in a gravel carpark. Listen for loud bangs.

The work ute on the farm I work at rarely leaves 4L as even when dry the grass is slippery and the hills steep, but the chains in these like to stretch at the thought of anything less slick than wet clay.

Are you going to use it seriously off road? Existing dents and scratches are liberating in the bush, suddenly it becomes as capable as a company car :big_smile:

Transfer chain! Put it in 4L and do some circles on a grassy patch somewhere or in a gravel carpark. Listen for loud bangs.

The work ute on the farm I work at rarely leaves 4L as even when dry the grass is slippery and the hills steep, but the chains in these like to stretch at the thought of anything less slick than wet clay.

Are you going to use it seriously off road? Existing dents and scratches are liberating in the bush, suddenly it becomes as capable as a company car :big_smile:

Thanks for that. I'll definitely do that to it.
I am planning on taking it seriously bush (gold prospecting). That's why I'm getting rid of the Kia. It flexes badly, when the going gets tough. So I'm not too worried about it's looks. It's the hidden mechanical expenses I'm concerned about (like the transfer chain)

Welcome to the forum, my 03 str has never given me a prob. Remember scratches and dents doesnt necessarily mean its had a hard engine life maybe just hard body life.

Like any car you look at the coolent colour and the engine oil to makes sure the headgasket isn't blown and the head isn't cracked.

If its been serviced on time all the time why not, go for it.

Dave.

What a Dog!!!

Whoa! That truck don't need a RWC. It needs a dog licence! I can't believe a vehicle can that be that trashed in 6 years & 140K klms.
Things started badly when I went to turn the A/C on, to find that the fan only worked on 4, & it's bearing was rattling like a drunk conga player. Ok. That's a cheap fix. No Biggie. So I put it into reverse & back out of the parking space, only to hear a loud clunk followed by a lot of rattling. I stop. Have I hit something? I ask. No, the noise is coming from the front right wheel. I pull back into the parking space & hand the Salesman the keys with a grin on my face. "That noise is nothing" He says to me desperately "It's easily fixed." "Mate." I said, shaking my head "Not even if you were giving it away" & I walked back to my Kia.
If anyone knows of a GOOD ST-R for under $20K. Please PM me.:victory:

It must be hard for some salesmen to put a smile on and say 'thats fine' when its clearly not. If i were a salesman i dont think i could make an arse of myself like that.

I think the word you're looking for is "integrity". I sometimes wonder if losing that is a pre-requisite for selling used cars.

More like sales in general. Lobotomy's are also becoming fashionable for such staff I believe. Then again if we didn't have car salesman the likes of Harvey Norman would have even more idiots on the floor trying to sell us useless crap at stupidly high prices.

Couldn't agree more. I can't stand salespeople. When I am shopping for any big ticket items i do my research, find out what I want, what's it worth, what I want to pay for it, then contact a few sellers of that item, tell them what i want and what I want to pay for it, and let them earn the sale that way. I'm not a person who buys cheap shit, but I don't someone who doesn't even know what they're talking about trying to sell me something that I don't need for a price i shouldn't be paying

Exactly! I was in Dick Smith in Freo today looking for an item that for some reason DS stores in Eastern Vic are selling at a ridiculously low price and the sales droid came up to me and asked me if he could help me to which I replied "I doubt it." The guy just stood there staring at me as if those three words were to much to comprehend.

As much as i hate salesmen isn't it good when you actually get a good one that helps you find the right product, there have been times when i thought i knew everything about a product and then the salesman would mention something else about the product, good or bad, but it was brought to my attention without asking, i dont mind that.

For eg when i was looking for my wifes engagement ring (going back a while now) i had brochures of what i wanted, i did my shopping around and eventually went into a small jewellery shop, the owner made a ring to how you wanted it, i actually wanted to see what i was buying so he could not have helped me but i showed him a pic of what i wanted, he was fascinated at the rings i had on the brochure and asked if he could keep the brochure, i said sure i had another anyway, then his attitude changed and he was really kind telling me what to look for, particular golds, diamonds, where not to buy from etc. etc.
It was really helpful and when i did eventually find a ring the sales lady was suprised at how i knew what only apparently jewellers knew.

As much as i hate salesmen isn't it good when you actually get a good one that helps you find the right product, there have been times when i thought i knew everything about a product and then the salesman would mention something else about the product, good or bad, but it was brought to my attention without asking, i dont mind that.

For eg when i was looking for my wifes engagement ring (going back a while now) i had brochures of what i wanted, i did my shopping around and eventually went into a small jewellery shop, the owner made a ring to how you wanted it, i actually wanted to see what i was buying so he could not have helped me but i showed him a pic of what i wanted, he was fascinated at the rings i had on the brochure and asked if he could keep the brochure, i said sure i had another anyway, then his attitude changed and he was really kind telling me what to look for, particular golds, diamonds, where not to buy from etc. etc.
It was really helpful and when i did eventually find a ring the sales lady was suprised at how i knew what only apparently jewellers knew.

It does happen occasionally but it does seem to happen less and less the more you deal with this class of people. Some of those that are yet to have their lobotomy are a breath of fresh air.

I didn't need help picking my wife's engagement and wedding ring set I just took her shopping on the day of her birthday and said "I can't think of a present to buy you so you may as well buy and engagement ring". Of course I didn't know I had to buy the set at the time (but apparently it was needed) but my selecting the right ring was all done for me I just handed over the money.

If you want good service from people who know their stuff, go to a small privately owned shop, usually where the owner actually works there.

I believe the best thing anyone can do before purchasing anything is research. If you work out what you want, pro's and con's of the item and competitors item's, what you should be paying and go to a few suppliers if possible then no-one should be able to pull the wool over your eyes.

Whilst I agree with what WIR35 has said in the majority of cases some still have alliances (usually tied to higher profit margins) with certain brands/manufacturers.

I believe the best thing anyone can do before purchasing anything is research. If you work out what you want, pro's and con's of the item and competitors item's, what you should be paying and go to a few suppliers if possible then no-one should be able to pull the wool over your eyes.

Whilst I agree with what WIR35 has said in the majority of cases some still have alliances (usually tied to higher profit margins) with certain brands/manufacturers.

My thoughts exactly.

If you want good service from people who know their stuff, go to a small privately owned shop, usually where the owner actually works there.

I used to agree with that cause in 94 I was one of those small privately owned shops selling computers, I knew my stuff and was one of 2 pc shops in town because computers weren't the must have item they are now.

Our biggest problem was we were too close to Melbourne, the idiots who think they could get a better deal drove 2 hours to save themselves $100 then came running to us to fix their machines expecting it to be done under someone elses warranty in our stores. They of course were told it we only fixed pcs we sold under warranty but that didn't stop them bitching. In the end I just gave up, let the idiots keep their saving money mentality and closed the shop front.

I know run the same business from home and only take clients that come to me through word of mouth or return sales and have several large corporate accounts that keep things ticking over more than any number of Joe Public sales could hope to do. I also don't have to be at work 80 hours a week just so the shop door is open.

I'd still prefer to give my sales to the owner operated store but even in rural towns these days it's getting harder because big money suckers like Hardly Normal and Woolworths are taking over so much.

Dunno how this all came from a member looking at a hard worked ST-R but obviously there has been a bit of a diversion somewhere.

I dont think i helped, so i wont comment on this anymore. Unless its about a battered str.

Ahhh but that is a comment, and you helped quite a bit in getting this off topic so don't sell yourself too short.

At very least it's keeping the topic fresh and someone else wanting a battered STR might find it and think it's helpful.

Latest posts

Back