new D22 st-r TD

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Go 3" turbo back. Can be purchased from Scotts rods for about $900+postage or beaudesert exhaust has a 2.75" system for $1200+postage.

2. Maybe have a look at some peoples builds on this one. There are some kit options and im not sure on the fan mounting. I think the cross country kit may have a fan and its top mount.

3. Chipit chips, steinbaurer, DP chip. Chipit is my preferred option as they have good reviews and few people have them on here.

Turbo timers are ok would be great for beach work. I tend to just let the car idle before switching it off anyway so turbo timer is not necessary for me. Personal option.

Rusty

Are there any mods I can do on the cheap? Pod filter help? Anything like that? Just so I can do those while I wait for parts. Cheers.

Your cheaps mods for an immediate gain in power and performance are:

EGR blanking (illegal, but totally worth it) ~$20-30 DIY
80 series airbox (unsure about the legalities of this) ~$200 DIY
Snorkel $400-500 DIY
Catch can $40-200 DIY

If you're gonna do the 80series airbox mod, then put a snorkel on at the same time, those two go hand in hand quite well, as does the EGR blanking, and a catch can is always a good thing. basically what you're doing with these mods is gettin more, cleaner oxygen into your engine.

Then look into intercooler, I'd personally go with a water to air intercooler, they're a lot easier to install in the confines of the nav engine bay, especially after an 80 series airbox! And definitely stick with a front mount intercooler with a thermal fan. Your tops mount intercooler won't do a very good job when you're traveling at speeds under 60k? A water to air has the advantage of always being cooled by a thermal fan so regardless of your speed , your intercooler will be working.

That being said, also do the exhaust, there's no point putting more oxygen in if you can't let it out!

I'd leave the chip till at least after your exhaust, if not till last (all I've got left on that list is the intercooler)

Do a forum search for each of those mods and you'll be inundated with threads about how to do them.

Last edited:
Yeah I heard about the EGR mod, sounds like a good starting mod.
Okay I'll look into the airbox mod and catch can, see how everyone has done theirs.
Would love a snorkel but not sure if I'll be needing it, although the airflow from outside the engine bay would be good, will need to think.
I think I'm going to start with:
2" suspension lift
Then intercooler, will probably be water to air front mount. A thermal fan is the fan mounted to the front of the intercooler, of I'm not mistaken?
I want to add a boost controller and bleed valve
Then 3" exhaust.
Or something like that.

Sounds good. I'd do the exhaust before the boost controller. But forthe negligible cost of a boost controller ($35) compared to the exhaust, do them both at once. Again with your intercooler and airbox, you're gonna have to make them both share some of the same space, so doing both at the same time will save ALOT of hassle down the track, as it is I've gotta pull out my 80series airbox and do some mods to it, so I can fit a water to air intercooler, a job I'm not really looking forward to.

A thermal fan is just a fan that will cut in/out at a certain temperature, so while you're hooking down the highway the front mount cooler for will be getting plenty of air and effective cooling, but while doing low range work the thermal fan will cut in and do all the work.

If I could work out a way to do a top mount that wasn't directly above the block, I would. (I've got ideas, but time and skill hold me back)

Yeah okay, it's just so hard to start all these mods, I gotta just sell my BMW and get the car then I can start ordering things and start somewhere. Just all the little things annoy me.

Haha, yeah mate I hear ya. There's a lot can be done to these machine to make them go further.

If you're looking at increasing the performance of the vehicle, then all the stuff above is excellent.

If you're looking to increase the capability of the vehicle, then you definitely want the suspension lift, body lift, 33" tyres and a diff lock.

Ultimately I want both in my vehicle (and I'm almost there!)

Latest posts

Back