D22 2.5L STR problems??? I HAVE SOME!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEE8SS

Reaction score
Hi bought my 2008 D 22 STR navara in 23rd of december 2008 so got a good deal as it is a 08 plate ended up being 31k drive away! from my local nissan dealer.

I am rapt in the car as a whole and it is great to tow my race car and customers cars to a from the track and cart my bikes around on the weekends. Getting out of my SS ute was a bit hard as it is different picking the rite gaps in traffic with about 1/3 the power!!! but it always brings a smile to my face when i get to the bowser and fill up once a week instead of twice!

I have a few gripes with it and will be taking them up with my local dealer soon when i get it back form the panel beaters as a old duck rear ended me! not bad at all though luckily her car wasa write off!!!!

It has a intermittent noise that must be clutch related... it mostly happens when it is cold or within 5 mins of start up. IF i accellerate in 1st gear rapidly to anyting over 3k when i put the clutch in to change gears i here a loud sqeak/weird higher pitvched noise. But it will never do it i any other gear but first at those revs and noteven every time. ANY IDEAS ANYONE???

Secondly it dveloped the worn steering stopper noise with only 7000km on the clock!!! i coulnd't beleive it an took it staight down to nissan who informed me that they could order me the part as it is a non warranty item!

3rdly I have never got it serviced at nissan apart from the free2k check up as I have work contacts that do log book servicing and I get a very very good price and i know they are actually doing what they bill me for! but when it had its 20 000km service a few months go the noticed that the clutch fan wasn't spinning on start up!!! i have never notuiced it. upon a bit of poking around and trying to turn it t is revealed that the fan can't rotate due to the lower fan shroud being braken and jamming the fan very very steadily! i could not beleive it and I had not done any serious or even semi-serious 4wding at all!!! onl national parks with smooth dirt roads and highway use. WE then zip tied the shroud where it should eb and started it up and away the clutch fan went when i drove it home i could not beleive the noise the fan makes and now i know it never has worked since the ute was brand new! nissan was not impressed and told em that i must have hi it on soemthing but there is no way you could do that! I am still waiting for them to get back to me! mind you the ute has never been over half on the temo guage ever in its life! bloody amazing if you ask me!

abd finally the rear step was not adjusted by nissan lovel and the bloody tail-gate has to be down when i have my dirtbike in the back... anyway on the first trip to emu creel with the bike in the back everything was going great until i goot their unloaded the bike and lifted the tail gate to realise that ithas been rubbing on the rear step the whole 3hrs there and had rubbed throught he paint on just the one side!! anyone else have this problem I have since fixed it by adjusting the rear step and it i good now but was still waiting for it to be fixed by nissan when the old duck rear ended me and now it is getting the tailgate painted anyway.

after that winge i love the truck to bits and want to lift it and get a little bit bigger tires and exhuast aswell.. to free it up a bit. I have done over 33,000kms in it in just over a year now and has never let me down once! but would be interested to know anone else's experience on the things i have found??? so let it rip...

P.S. sorry to make this longer but what kms are people getting out of tank in general. I do a mix of driving and i give it a bit i suppose but i get reliabley 650-700kms so about 10L/100kms when i first bough it i was getting around the 800 mark so i am wondering if it needs new injectors under warranty as it does soot up alot now unlike it used too??? i thought it had just worn in ;-)

the steering stops......don't hold the wheel over on full lock so much. if you hot full lock back it off a bit. its a 4x4 they don't have good turning circles !

fan, check its not buggered. having it stuck would stuff it fairly quickly.

10/100 is about right. what do you mean by "soot up alot now".
these do not blow smoke at all. if they do something is very wrong. common little problem is the service guys not resetting data/ecu after doing a fuel filter change.

it mostly happens when it is cold or within 5 mins of start up.

IF i accellerate in 1st gear rapidly to anyting over 3k when i put the clutch in to change gears i here a loud sqeak/weird higher pitvched noise.

)

Probably the thrust bearing, or when the bearing touches the pressure plate throwout fingers.

Dont mean to be an old rag,

but personally i would'nt be REVING PAST 3k WHEN COLD in 1st gear as
you mention,

and,

REMEMBER, this is a 2.5ltr diesel engined light comm truck and not a
chev powered race car.

Maybe the answer is to upgrade to a F250.

As tweake says, a new fan would be in order,
don't know how you did'nt notice the fan wasnt spinning for 9000klm and didnt cook.

Anyway, goodluck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The steering stops need grease on them every 5000 - 10 000 and the make a horrible noise when they are dry. I hope they didn't charge you for new ones when all they did was apply a dab of grease.

There are some reports of faulty injectors after 40 -50k having to be replaced on the 2.5 - there is a thread around here somewhere that someone said they had to have it done under warranty. I followed a Victorian W plate (guessing it was a 2008 - early 09) 2.5cr the other day on the freeway and it was churning out a hideous amount of black smoke. It's definitely something I am paying attention to on ours which is coming up on 20k fast.
Have been keeping fuel records since day one and even on its first tank it returned 9.5L/100 and on average has done 9.32L/100

Have had to adjust the tailgate also as it was sitting on the rear bar - The pain in the ass is that there is only adjustment on one side. My rear step also needs adjusting now since I introduced it to a tree.

Last edited:
the steering stops have a plastic cap which is what they replace. trouble is they wear really fast and your left with the steel on steel which makes the horrible noise.

the steering stops have a plastic cap which is what they replace. trouble is they wear really fast and your left with the steel on steel which makes the horrible noise.

Interesting to note.
Ours from new has never had any form of plastic and are just a dome headed bolt. Steel on Steel. The first time I heard them graunching away I thought I had done a CV after only 7000kms after a day of mud and wet weather.
The concerning part is that while the bolt / stop is replaceable the control arm comes at a much greater expense if it is to wear through where they contact.
I am ingreasing ( get it :big_smile:) the longevity of both by keeping both surfaces greased as often as possible.

The steering stops need grease on them every 5000 - 10 000 and the make a horrible noise when they are dry. I hope they didn't charge you for new ones when all they did was apply a dab of grease.

There are some reports of faulty injectors after 40 -50k having to be replaced on the 2.5 - there is a thread around here somewhere that someone said they had to have it done under warranty. I followed a Victorian W plate (guessing it was a 2008 - early 09) 2.5cr the other day on the freeway and it was churning out a hideous amount of black smoke. It's definitely something I am paying attention to on ours which is coming up on 20k fast.
Have been keeping fuel records since day one and even on its first tank it returned 9.5L/100 and on average has done 9.32L/100

Have had to adjust the tailgate also as it was sitting on the rear bar - The pain in the ass is that there is only adjustment on one side. My rear step also needs adjusting now since I introduced it to a tree.

The injector problem seems more and more common.
Mines a late '08 model too, but still very low on k's.
There's one post in here that had the prob at around 17k.

Does anyone know what actually is failing with the injectors?

Nissan maybe needs to do a recall.

I have only 29k on my Sep 08 Built Feb 09 Registered D22 2.5CR and its is also fairly smokey now, inside of rear exhaust is very sooty, my mate has a brand new D22 2.5CR with only 7k on it and that had started to smoke a bit now also.

KRANKIN - I realise this insn't a 454 chev powered race car!!!! i do custom street and race car fabrication for work in my own business ON-ROAD Parts+Performance. I have biult and raced many 10/11/12 second street and race only cars. If you read over it i say when cold within the first 5mins or so.... a few minutes is suffiecent time for the engine to be lubricated enough to rev it to half the engines operating speed in any gear.... if a modern motor wasn't able to be done so within 5mins then there would be a hell of a lot more warranty claims. not having a dig just take that comment to heart as I do know what you mean but i definetely do not start ot then drive flat out... up the road. no hard feelings.

anyway i think i will have to get nissan to look at the injectors as I too beleive these engines should blow non or little smoke... my ute gets washed every week or 2 and there has started to eb a very noticable black soot/smoke stain on the chrome rear bar even betweeen weekly wash's.

I realise that if i don't hold it on full lock it will mean less wear and tear... but in saying that.... winding the stoppers out a few turns and checking the clearance of the tires has made a massive difference to the overall driving and turning circle.... I get no where near full lock now and after going for a 4WD in soft sandy tight tracks today there is a much better amount of turning ability.

How have people gone for warranty claims when you don't get it serviced at nissan dealer but it is still a log book service.

:
KRANKIN - i do custom street and race car fabrication for work in my own business ON-ROAD Parts+Performance. I have biult and raced many 10/11/12 second street and race only carsQUOTE]

Ok then,
with such experience you shouldnt need our advice.

No hard feelings.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum:knuddel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only 29k on my Sep 08 Built Feb 09 Registered D22 2.5CR and its is also fairly smokey now, inside of rear exhaust is very sooty, my mate has a brand new D22 2.5CR with only 7k on it and that had started to smoke a bit now also.

What colour smoke?

it is black.... just the same as old diesel's blow.... ha ha yeah I have no experience at all with desiels or 4x4's really I do mainly fabrication such as turbo manifolds/intercooler piping/aluminium fabrication overflow tanks/radiators/exhuast systems/ecu wiring/suspension work and minor mechanical stuff..... But yeah I have never played with any deseils at all nor owned a 4x4 before this but i needed one and i needed a ute aswell to tow and carry stuff and the navara was by far my favourite choice and i love it just a few things i not sure about on it thats all.

Has anyone got their car serviced elsewhere than nissan dealership and still been able to make warranty claims easily????

thanks for the help and comments

Michael

Has anyone got their car serviced elsewhere than nissan dealership and still been able to make warranty claims easily????

This topic has been spoken about heaps on this and many other forums, there are many of us getting our Nav's serviced at places other than the dealers and dealers are not allowed to discriminate against those who do not use their service.

Just like insurance companies Nissan may and are within their right to try and prove that the fault is not something they are liable for but it's becoming harder for them to be able prove anything other than shoddy workmanship, which as the owner and maybe someone who has an understanding of cars you wouldn't stand for anyway. If servicing is done by the book and all parts used as Nissan spec then they are going to have a hard time proving it was a fault of any part or service.

There will always be people who disagree with this sort of opinion and will always get their cars serviced by a dealer and that is their right but it always goes both ways. Getting your car serviced at Nissan doesn't automatically mean they will honour every warranty claim either, they will try their darnedest to prove anything is not their problem.

The bottom line is that if you have a mechanic you trust then there is no reason other than your own peace of mind to get it serviced at the dealership. If your mind is the sort that doesn't the reassurance that servicing can only be done by a dealership then you find the trusted mechanic and pay heaps less for the same thing. Like so many other decisions this is a personal preference decision.

I have a D22 now, but had a D40 before hand. The only time I took my car to the dealer for servicing was the free 1000km check, and the useless wankers dented the bonnet, so I never took it back. Got it serviced by the mobile mechanic who we get to service our fleet vans. I had several warranty claims with the D40 and all were honoured (albeit after some debating and deliberation with the dealer/Nissan). I also had no problems with my Rodeo with regards to non-dealer servicing and warranty claims. One day I even connected the battery with the wrong polarity, blew the main fuse and the ECU up (I know, very stupid considering I am a licenced electrician....was one of those days...) I put the battery terminals back the way they should have been, closed the bonnet, phoned Holden, they got it towed back to the dealership and fixed it all for free, no questions asked.....

I put the battery terminals back the way they should have been, closed the bonnet, phoned Holden, they got it towed back to the dealership and fixed it all for free, no questions asked.....

Haha!

Bewdy mate

The injector problem seems more and more common.
Mines a late '08 model too, but still very low on k's.
There's one post in here that had the prob at around 17k.

Does anyone know what actually is failing with the injectors?

Nissan maybe needs to do a recall.

That was me. The car now has 18,000kms, and blows smoke like a 20yr old diesel hilux. I've fully got the shits with it and Nissan keep telling me there's nothing wrong. When I get the chance I'll take it to a specialized diesel tuner and get them to see if it's the car or my head that has the problem :big_smile:

That was me. The car now has 18,000kms, and blows smoke like a 20yr old diesel hilux. I've fully got the shits with it and Nissan keep telling me there's nothing wrong. When I get the chance I'll take it to a specialized diesel tuner and get them to see if it's the car or my head that has the problem :big_smile:

I dont quite understand....

A near new engine that blows smoke and nissan say this is normal.

Yeah right, maybe for a steam train.

Thats like ford denying that the territory balljoints had issues.

They're giving you the run around.

Mine blew a bit of smoke from when I got it, at the 1000k service I told them about it and they told me they "reset" the injector pump. I'm not sure if they meant via the ECU but it fixed it up. Good as gold now.

Hey Jason that's a brilliant idea.

Azza, have you thought about trying the ECU reset instructions? They're here somewhere, don't forget to drive it gently after you do it and then shut the vehicle down.

I really have to try it on mine, although we just pulled 11.8LPHK which is awesome considering we're about 300Kg over kerb weight and had 4 adults in it.

Yeah... I was also following another D22 2.5CR today on the highway and he must have knocked it back a gear as we were in traffic and it smoked up soo bad!....... just like mine. when i looke din my rear vision mirror it is definetely somehting i wil be taking up with the dealer i bought it off when i get it back form the panel beaters.

thanks for the help.... everyone. I never thought of doing a ECU reset but it may be worth a try but i'll make nissan do it first or see what they say!

Latest posts

Back