Everyone in NSW to pay for a Sydney road that only Sydney people will use.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dave

THE State Government has told long-suffering commuters in Sydney's northwest they will have to wait 14 years and re-elect Labor twice if they want to get a train line.
And a plan to deliver new express rail services to the Western Suburbs has no completion date at all.

On top of this comes a new car registration levy that will force motorists to pay up to $30 a year more to partly fund the new pie-in-the-sky plans.

The tax, to bring in $500 million over 10 years, will penalise those who do not own small cars with vehicles over 975kg costing between $5 and $30 a year more, depending on the car's weight, from July.

At the same time, the M4 East motorway and Epping to Parramatta rail link may never see the light of day, with no plans to build either in the next decade.

The latest transport blueprint is almost certain to be the final nail in the Government's coffin, with exclusive polling by The Daily Telegraph showing some three-quarters of voters ready to turn on Labor over its transport mismanagement.

No less than 73 per cent of the 2000 people who completed the Ultimate Transport Survey said the Government's handling of transport had been poor or very poor.

A total of 74 per cent said the Government's first two priorities should be extending the northwest and southwest lines (49 per cent), followed by Epping to Chatswood (25 per cent).

Yet despite first announcing the northwest line in 1998 in its "Action for Transport 2010" plan - and reannouncing it another six times since - the Government will only start work in 2017 and the line will not be finished until 2024.

By that time a resident of Castle Hill will have waited 26 years for a train to the city.

Even the start date for work is two elections away, despite widespread predictions the Government will not survive next year's poll.

The project, which runs from Epping to Rouse Hill, will now cost $6.7 billion. The 1998 estimate for the extension from Epping to Castle Hill was just $360 million.

The last time a government opened a train line in the Hills district was in August 1900. And in a cruel irony, the Carlingford line is now effectively a ghost track because of the abandonment of the Epping to Parramatta link.

The $4.5 billion Western Sydney express service will not begin construction until 2015. No one in the Government could say when it would be completed.

Even the Government's new blueprint website was out of order.

The $50 billion 10-year plan will also include a $500 million light rail extension to Circular Quay and Dulwich Hill and new rolling stock.

It will be in part funded by the scrapping of the $5.3 billion CBD metro. Even rail unions, who had called for an extension of the heavy rail network, said the Government's plan was too little too late and commuters would not believe them until work started.

Tourism and Transport Forum executive director Brett Gale said the Government had failed to guarantee the projects would even be delivered.

NSW Rego Rise...

I wont be voting labour in the next election.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
The QLD State Government is just as bad mate (Labor as well). Captain Bligh is trying to sell everything and I doubt (hope) they don't get in next term either.

Actually the Federal Government is Labor as well *surprise surprise*.

Hard not to comment politically but they are the common denominator.

I think its grossly unfair to all the NSW vehicle owners who may never use these new promised services. I am not saying that i will nver use them, but it seems a bit unjust that everyone NSW wide should be hit with a tax to fund these projects for one tiny portion of the state. I would also like to note that these days most cars that suit the needs of young growing families, whether it be a Falcon/Commodore Wagon or a 4x4 are well over 975kg.

It could be worse you could be in Victoria. Firstly promised that the new road system wont be tolled. Then they tolled it. And better yet the new 'smart' public trasport ticketing systems is not fully operational 3 years behind schedual and several hundred million over budget, current cost is around S1.3billion. And due to the piss weak Liberal oposition Brumby is feeling no real heat.

Dave I wasn't going to vote for Labor long before this came up. I can't see how taxing me to build a bloody road in Sydney is ever going to benefit me or members of my family, ever!!!
I'm sick to death of this (and Federal) government. I come from a traditional blue collar Labor voting family, no more because I've filled the robe with stuffy shirts :dong:

Cheers Brad

Likewise Brad, my background is blue collar worker Labour.

Kevin Rudd with his save everyone from there selves attitude annoys me aswell.

Here is a idea, cancel all the goverment cars and let the pollitions drive to work in there own car and see how expensive everything is.

Dave.

It could be worse you could be in Victoria. Firstly promised that the new road system wont be tolled. Then they tolled it. And better yet the new 'smart' public trasport ticketing systems is not fully operational 3 years behind schedual and several hundred million over budget, current cost is around S1.3billion. And due to the piss weak Liberal oposition Brumby is feeling no real heat.

You city slickers want to try living in the country where they rolled out that ticketing system 12 months ago. Although in the majority of cases the whole fiasco about myki is media hyped crap where they hunt out people having problems and make the stories sound as bad as possible while ignoring the fact that thousands of others are having no problems.

Several people I know have been constantly hounded by the press and local opposition leader nearly every week since the system was launched here, they only want horror stories and stories where customers are getting short changed, the minute they get told there is limited issues in this area with myki the interviews are ended.

I don't agree with the time frame it's taken or the cost but as a system I think myki is quite good and like anything new and different it's always going to have teething problems especially when the general public has been hounded for 3 years by the opposition and the media about how bad the system is going to be.

Brumby has to go but atleast myki was a step in the right direction initially.

The road tax issue is the same everywhere though, country users always have to pay for city roads, I'm not suggesting that it is wrong because many country users travel to the city however the subsidies could be more evenly shared by making those more likely to use the roads pay more than those unlikely to use the road. I don't know the best way to achieve this but there has to be a way.

Given that originally part of our cost per litre of fuel was suppose to be going back into roads maintenance and improvement and since that time fuel has only gone upwards thus meaning more money from each person I don't believe any roads should be taxed separately.

Given the amount of choice we have in this country when it comes to paying the new fangled taxes our illustrious leaders come up with for once I'd just like to see them actually using the money like they say they will. For me it's like fishing licences, 15 years ago I hated paying just to go fishing on the weekend but since they got off their arses and started using our licence money in Vic to maintain fishing tracks, car parks and beaches atleast I feel a little better paying my fees, they could do alot more by way of tracks but atleast there is something to show for it. The roads should be the same.

Overseas experience has shown that the most cost effective integrated ticketing system for public transport is to have no fares at all. No ticket sellers required, no ticket machines no expensive barriers, no ticket inspectors and the system gets used more!

Re: Krafty

I pretty much agree, its more so the exrended timeframe and cost blowout that I have issues with. If the Government had gone with the more experianced and costly ticketing system at the start all will probably be good by now.

Regarding toll roads, as a city slicker I have no issues with toll roads, the issue I have is when the governemt lie to us all about not having any tolls and then turning around saysing there are now going to be tolls, but its not our fault the federal government stitched us up.

I have no real trouble with paying for things as long as the money we are paying goes back to where we are told it is and not lining fat cats pockets. Or worse paying for there mistakes.

I agree they shouldn't have lied to us about the tolls but lets face it there isn't one government out there that doesn't lie. Sure we can all bag out the current state or federal government and say they shouldn't be in power because they lied and didn't do what they promised but every government no matter what party they are from lies and breaks promises.

I object to more taxes and tolls and I'm sure they would slug us for breathing if they could get away with it but unfortunately if you ever believe that a political party who makes promises today (especially at election time) will keep all those promises during their term in office then you're sadly mistaken.

Would you vote for a party that said:

Vote for us! We don't promise to do a damn thing. We want to get into power and stop the other jerks from stuffing you around with new laws, but we don't promise to do squat about any problems that exist or that arise.

I think we look at the election promises made, and the way that they're made, and we think that "it'd be nice if that happened", and know that the only way it has a chance of even getting part the way there is if we vote for that party.

Would we be worse under some other party? Maybe. I think Labor figured out that butting heads for the sake of butting heads wasn't getting them anywhere, so before the 2007 election we saw a lot of instances where the Libs would propose a certain thing and, stunning everyone, Labor got up and agreed with it (where it was reasonable).

The Libs don't seem to have evolved as far, they're still arguing against anything proposed whether it's reasonable or not.

Who would I vote for? Angus, if he ever ran. But then he probably don't like bullshit like the rest of us.

My biggest issue with politics is the personal agendas and corporate interference. A big company wines and dines a politician so they can get approval to dump nuclear waste underneath my kitchen sink. Government sends me a letter telling me either I sell my $600K house to the company for $24.95 (less discount of $25) or become a glow-in-the-dark action figure.

You won't see honesty in politics. They're all on the take, every last one of them, and always will be while big corporates have needs like taking over this area for a mine, or that recreation reserve for a shopping centre etc etc.

I wasn't going that deep into it. I'm just not political enough to get involved in it more than to understand that both sides lie and neither side is a shining light that will save us tomorrow because one party lied today.

Although can we get a pic of the Incredible Hulk in his white Nav?

I thinks we can all agree that no matter where we live all politicians are going to lie to us. All we can hope is that the oposition party keeps the rulling party in check and forces them to do a halfway decent job.

Latest posts

Back