Brake controller and other upgrades

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

With the expectation of the delivery of the new caravan, I have been happily working away on the Nav preparing it for our annual holiday.

I have just wired in a Hayman Reece Brake controller and with it, have run heavier wiring to the electrical trailer plug.

I also added a twin core 100amp cable from battery to a 50 amp Anderson plug at the rear of the vehicle so I can charge the batteries in the caravan when driving. Made my own 50amp fusible link in case of short on the heavy cables.

Last upgrade was to exchange my 100w globes in the Hella 4000 Rally's to 130w. Yeah baby! Much cheaper and easier than HID.

Now I just have to install the UHF, buy and fit a new aerial and I'm ready to go. Can't wait!

DJ

Great to hear another 'vanner getting it together. Just remember that charging the van's batteries directly from the Nav will only bring them up to 70-75% of full charge.

If you want the van's batteries fully charged, you have to:

car power -> trailer plug -> inside van -> inverter -> CTek Charger -> Batteries

(I recommend the CTek charger because there isn't a better one on the market).

The difference is obvious. Since you should never discharge the batteries by more than 50%, at 70% charge you only have 20% of your battery capacity available.

Whichever way it goes, have fun with it!

Hi Dave,

Heading off up North between Gnaraloo and Exmouth (I could tell you the exact location, but I'd have to kill you) :no: It's a beautiful spot with long white sandy beaches, empty reef breaks with no one to surf them. Reefs full of big fish to spear and no annoying fellow campers within a 100m. Mo showers, no water, no power, no shops, no roads, no people, and will be home for at least 7 weeks. God I can't wait!

The Hellas were I think $360 for the pair including all wiring, relays, thermal fuse and switches etc. That was a couple of years ago. I now have a mate in the industry who can get me stuff for trade. Stoked. Just got a pair of 130w H1's for $13 ea and a pair of clear covers for $30.

The Nav's almost ready for the big trip, just gotta wire in the UHF and power socket to charge the Waeco freezer on route. Maybe some heavier duty springs in the rear and we'll be unstoppable. :)

Cheers,

DJ

Hi Tony,

I'll be charging the caravan battery's via solar most of the time but want to use the Nav as a backup. I have a gennie and a real good battery charger already and will be installing it in the van.

Bought a near new Jayco Hawk outback with all the fruit (5 months old). A nice upgrade from the soft floor camper trailer. Missus and kids are stoked! Whole family is amped to go away this year.

Thanks for the advice.

DJ

Sounds like a good trip, haven't heard of the places you mentioned.

Cheers for the info on the lights.

Davew.

Just note that 130W globes are more susceptible to breakage than 100W. I would recommend keeping your 100W as spares.

Sounds a lot like Ningaloo Station?

Hi DJ

Your 100amp cable and anderson plug sounds good except for a good charge controller. Similar to twin battery set up but make the car battery the main battery and the van battery the secondary and it should work fine.

I build camper trailers and this is what we do to install them. I also use a 30amp blade fuse. One other thing I did for me vehicle was to install a battery isolator switch on the positive heavy cable under the bonnet to turn off when not in use. Only takes some kid with a bent nail to stuff things for you.

Alan

second the motion on 130w globes, the higher the wattage the less reliable they are and more suceptable to blowing caused by vibration, especially in rallye 4000's, they have an extremely rigid mount. another thing to keep in mind, wont affect your rallye 4000's as they use a glass lens, but other lights with plastic or polycarbonate lenses will discolour due to the high heat output created by 130w globes. if you can't afford or can't be assed with hid, look into philips vision plus globes, slightly dearer than your $13 130w globes but a much cooler, whiter, stable & reliable light. remember, don't touch the glass part of any halogen globe.
jelous as, van & holiday sounds awesome. be sure to post pics to rub it in!
safe travels!

Latest posts

Back