Fuel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd22

Reaction score
I've been reading the other fuel economy post and a lot of you guys got under 10L/100km. I am confused cuz my 2004 has an average of 11.5l/100km. I was told that a 3" exhaust would save about 15% fuel and I checked under the car today and the previous owner has already put one in. Why is it still using that much fuel? As I have mention on my other post that there was a dtronic chip in there but it was somehow stuffing up the car so I took it off. The fuel consumption was the same with the chip in it. And it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I have a full load in the car and got the aircon running all the time as to an empty car with no air con on (not enough to be noticable). Can I get some advice as to how to get my d22 to consume less fuel?

Cheers.

Don't drive it!

Maybe you have to look at the way you drive as opposed to the vehicle. You seem to have checked many other ideas so maybe you're a bit heavy footed or something like that.

The one thing you do need to remember is that every car no matter how identical they are suppose to be is different and therefore will have different economy figures. Compared to some people 11's aren't that bad so there might even be people on here asking you how you get down that low.

In this day and age A/C's no matter how long you run them for should add much to your economy, some loads will have an effect but if you are eliminating such things like that then your left and right feet are several of the few remaining options.

My 08 gets about the same mate, only 20k on it too. Got the ecu and everything reset at last service seems to have helped a bit, maybe worth a try. Instructions are on here somewhere

heaps of shit comes into it mate...loading, how u drive, tyres, dpf if u have one, serviced, calculating fuel correctly...etc..you will be surprised how far u go when the needle is on empty...if you have a manual fuel pump run till its dry and see how far u get lol and fill her up and pump away

u can reset the ecu by unpluggin the battery for about 15mins..

i could come down to how you are driving it, my wife will get up to 75km's more out of a tank than me!

don't forget a lot of the time it comes down to how you measure the fuel. i see it quite often where people stuff up the measuring and math.

things like aircon should make a sizable difference, so to will tires and air pressures. driving style can make a big impact to. not to mention speed, a few kph more can make quite a difference in fuel economy.
i remember someone came onto a forum complaining about the high amount of fuel he was going through, turns out he was cruising at 170km/h down an autobarn !

Newer A/C's make very little difference, sure they will make a difference but not a sizable difference. Using the scangauge turning the A/C on the revs change by very little (60-70 rpm max). Even with the A/C on and the fan on high speed I can't get a 100rpm difference.

While 100 rpm in a diesel (presuming the A/C is run flat out at all times) will eventually make a difference to fuel it's not really that sizable and it's not as much as something like balding/flat tyres, or a lead foot will do.

judging by rpm's is fairly crude. ecu usually compensates for it anyway.

end of the day, AC sucks something like 3-10kw (depending on vehicle) which is always going to cost you. especially as the D22 doesn't always have the nice temperature controlled version, just the basic on/off one.
i use the AC as a brake going down hills, its quiet effective.

Well that's just not good enough for us D40 drivers. We need to keep things cool and comfortable otherwise all our hairdressing victims (oops customers) get narky and stop visiting us.

Yeah, maybe I do accelerate too quick (often get screeching sound from tires when I turn). The only other thing to look at is maybe my tires are a bit flat. I'll try going the max tire pressure 44psi for the wheels and see if that makes any difference...

Just to give yourself an idea of the difference, park the car before you inflate the tyres on a level stretch of ground, place it in neutral with the handbrake off and push it. The effort you need to go through to make it move is referred to as "rolling resistance". After you inflate the tyres, do it again - you'll find it's easier.

That rolling resistance comes from the tyre walls having to work hard as they flex. Underinflated tyres not only become a large source of drag, but the tyre walls wear more quickly leading to spontaneous blowouts.

You also need to consider that a brick, even painted nicely with a bullbar and driving lights and really, really nice seat covers, is still - in aerodynamic terms - a brick. The faster the brick goes, the more energy ( = fuel) it takes to keep it at that speed.

The sweet spot for the Navara seems to be around the 95km/h mark. Aerodynamically speaking, it's moving masses of air and will be burning most of its fuel to punch through, but that's just where the torque curve starts climbing up in the diesel, so that seems to be its balance point.

Yeah, maybe I do accelerate too quick (often get screeching sound from tires when I turn). The only other thing to look at is maybe my tires are a bit flat. I'll try going the max tire pressure 44psi for the wheels and see if that makes any difference...

lol lead foot for sure. no need to really go pass 2500 revs (YD25) unless towing or racing a triton

I would have thought 44 was a bit too extreme. Chances are your tyres are different to mine but I couldn't handle running my tyres that high unless I was never going to hit a bump.

Just to give yourself an idea of the difference, park the car before you inflate the tyres on a level stretch of ground, place it in neutral with the handbrake off and push it. The effort you need to go through to make it move is referred to as "rolling resistance". After you inflate the tyres, do it again - you'll find it's easier.]

Yeah, I shoulda realised that from pushin' wheel barrows with flat tires.

I would have thought 44 was a bit too extreme. Chances are your tyres are different to mine but I couldn't handle running my tyres that high unless I was never going to hit a bump.

What is the best pressure for driving on road carrying a full load? (around 300kg.)

Best definitely depends on your car, your mods, you tyres and probably a lot of other things. My general pressure is around 36-38 carting around anything up to about 300kg. In holiday mode where there is more crap in the back I might push it as high as 40 but everyone is different.

What is the best pressure for driving on road carrying a full load? (around 300kg.)

i wouldn't dare call 300kg a "full load" ;) i run anything from 40psi-50psi for full loads (1000kg).
usually i run 40psi front 35psi rear for general driving.

BUT it depends a lot on the tires. mud tires will change more with the pressure and weight than a lot of the AT's. depends on how flexable the tires are and how hot they get.
some guys use the 4psi rule, you have pressure right when there is a 4psi difference between hot and cold temps.

Went up the hume on saturday up to the murray and back. About 80% of the time doing 110km/h. Finally got 10l/100km. Did it just so I can see it happen. Anyway, my tires are pirelli scorpions atr. I currently got it at 35psi on all 4. Only got 200 to 300kgs of tools in it everyday. Might give the 50 front and 35 back a go.

What tyres have you got? My Bridgestone 693 's do that - even at reasonable speed during take off on corners.

44 psi..........wow! Your next post will be about tyre wear. I sit mine on 35 for the black top.

I find higway speed effects my fuel the most. The rpm's between 100kph and 110kph is noted. I drive conservatively around town.

Latest posts

Back