Safari snorkel kits

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navara08

Reaction score
hi everyone, im looking to buy a safari snorkel kit for my new d22. does anyone here know where the best place to buy one from and how much would it cost to install? thanks

Saw the other day on the TJM website they have just released a snorkel for the 08 2.5TD D22. Personally I would go for the TJM or Nissan snorkel as I think they look better than the Safari ones. Not sure how much Nissan charge?

My Nissan snorkel cost me $350. My brother installed it for free as he is a panel beater.

Dave.

I got my TJM snorkel from a wrecker for $200 delivered and installed it my self without a template. Was not that hard.

I got my TJM snorkel from a wrecker for $200 delivered and installed it my self without a template. Was not that hard.

Hi laith

How hard was it really 2 install cos i was thinking about getting one and doing it myself, where does it actually hook up to the air intake and was it very hard to cut a hole through the guard. if you could possibly take a few pics it would be much appreciated, cheers

Matty.

Hey Matty.

It would be a bit hard now to take pics mate. Its all done.

If you had a template you just tape it to the guard, use a hole saw on a drill and drill a big hole.

Then just drill the mounting bolt holes. Paint the metal surface to stop rust.

The rest is just doing up nuts. Honestly not hard. Maybe a little bit scary but not hard.

You have to take off the plastic wheel guard to get a pipe from the snorkel body to the factory air intake hole.

Its all in the destructions.

Laith.........Also looking at putting a genuine Nissan snorkel on myself ($375 from dealer??) can you tell me what size the larger hole is you need to drill at all from memory? Cheers.

Hey Matty.

It would be a bit hard now to take pics mate. Its all done.

If you had a template you just tape it to the guard, use a hole saw on a drill and drill a big hole.

Then just drill the mounting bolt holes. Paint the metal surface to stop rust.

The rest is just doing up nuts. Honestly not hard. Maybe a little bit scary but not hard.

You have to take off the plastic wheel guard to get a pipe from the snorkel body to the factory air intake hole.

Its all in the destructions.

Hey Laith,

thanks for the reply, i now feel a bit more confident tackling the job now. Cheers

Matty

Guy's, I want to get a snorkel soon too. I've had a quick look at a few in passing and the Nissan one to me looks the best and seems it may be the cheapest? Is it safe to assume no real detriment to clean air or performance characterstics with any of them. All much of a much? Do any of them mount to the "A" pillar without having a bracket slid under the windscreen seal?

I ended up buying a 76mm holesaw and a 96mm from memory.

Mine is under the windscreen seal Buttsy. I think anyway Ill double check when I head out later.

Performance wise is no massive gains. I think my is a touch more responsive when I did it.

My motor was a little jerky with the air con originally, I lost the jerkyness when the snorkel went on.

Always clean air coming into the motor, I clean my air filter once a weak. Usually a few insects come out when I bash it out.

Dave.

I ended up buying a 76mm holesaw and a 96mm from memory.

Mine is under the windscreen seal Buttsy. I think anyway Ill double check when I head out later.

Performance wise is no massive gains. I think my is a touch more responsive when I did it.

My motor was a little jerky with the air con originally, I lost the jerkyness when the snorkel went on.

Always clean air coming into the motor, I clean my air filter once a weak. Usually a few insects come out when I bash it out.

Dave.

Cheers Dave,
And you've got the nissan one? I didn't think there'd be much of a performance increase but one bloke I ran into reckoned there was..I just couldn't see how. can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. reason I ask about the A pillar mounting is I saw a D22 in a dealership with a shitty looking bracket lifting the windscreen seal and there was a stack of dirt in there and you could see the edge of the screen. the seal tends to go hard at that point. I don't spose there's any way around it all said and done. Any more turbo whistle / induction roar with snorkel? whatever the case I'm definately fitting one before I go away next. had a bit of a scare in Birdsville last year and thought I might've sucked some mud in. didn't but I'm not taking the chance twice

Yeah mine is running the Nissan/Airtec snorkel.

My brother fitted mine as he is a panel beater and I trust his judgement more then my own with body work.

Bit more induction noise but I think an exhaust system makes the turbo louder.

The seals they give you are crap, use some sesor safe silicon and seal it that way.

Good luck.

Dave.

Got the Nav serviced yesterday and asked about the price for a Nissan snorkel, supply was $440 plus $550 to install for nearly $1000 all up!!

He said it was a 5 to 6 hour job to install.

ROFL, $550 to install a snorkel, you could by the snorkel from Nissan then go to ARB and get them to install it for about half that price I reckon.

Got the Nav serviced yesterday and asked about the price for a Nissan snorkel, supply was $440 plus $550 to install for nearly $1000 all up!!

He said it was a 5 to 6 hour job to install.

I'm no expert but I have seen it done. If a mechanic needs 6 hours to do it I think they'd either been smoking crack or need to get into another line of work. I think about $600 would see you supplied and fitted with an ARB one. Hazzard a guess you could do better than them too. See how I go when I get quotes for mine..

Latest posts

Back