Cooloola to Tin Can Bay June 2011

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljacko78

Reaction score
howdy lads

planning for next trip out. How's about a beach run thru the Cooloola Rec Area and Great Sandy National Park, Harry's Hut.....
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/cooloola/pdf/cooloola-great-sandy-map.pdf

So weekends in June would be:
4-5th
11-13th Queens Birthday long weekend
18-19
25-26

I think every man and dog will be out on the long weekend so perhaps the weekends after that might be a go?

Its possible there might be a ferry charge (?) and also a beach access charge thru DERM of $15 per day to do this trip. It will be a long day as well. But its central for some people so we could get a good crew from Gladstone south thru to Brisbane coming along.

cheers all

Luke

The beach pass is $10 over the net. I'm pretty sure leaving via harry's hut... Kin kin area we can dodge the barge. I'm keen I will just have to check the calendar.

$6 each way for the ferry at Tewantin and yes you need a day pass for the Cooloola rec area. I'd be keen for the 4th and 5th.

Yep, I'm in. As you say Luke, skip the long weekend, that place is a carpark then. The weekends after that so far would be good for us. Making this an overnighter?

I was up there just the other weekend, $6 each way for the barge at Tewantin (exact change only). $15 for a day permit to drive on the beach, but the kiosk is only open from 8am, or $10 over the net.

Kings bore track is closed due to erosion,.. Cooloola way is open but is boggy in sections with big pot holes and wash outs( sounds fun) I am interested in a possible overnighter as well.

will try really hard to make this but are you going to organise it for an overnight thing or just the day? I pretty much always work saturdays so i have no chance of making it unless its a sunday or overnight...

If people want to overnight thats cool and I could be convinced as well. Matt can come too :)

Josh - too quick for us and btw... where was the post to let us know hey???

I'm out for the 25th but should be right for the others, prefer to avoid the long weekend up there if possible like the others.

either one of these, i will be in for sure. I will take the day off if I need to, need to take the nav for a run in some sand

My preferred is later in the month if possible

While people think about dates, please also consider where we meet up as that kind of shapes where we go for the rest of the day.

option 1 (yellow) is up closer to Gympie on Rainbow Beach Rd

option 2 (pink) is meet at Kin Kin and then travel up the Cooloola Way the onto beach

this was quick as a guide only and no ferry on either option. Thoughts....

Attachments

• Cooloola run Options.jpg
    Cooloola run Options.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 79
pink option in my opnion, looks like the better route. I recon the 25th-26th would be a good date Nav is all serviced up and ready for this.

Last edited:
Option 1 is good especially if there are a few guys from up north coming down but only the western fire break(kings bore track) is open at the moment but that can easily be decided when you arrive... Camping at fresh water is good, has toilets and water but no fires :( there are also limited camp sites there. There is also a lot of forestry rds on the way in along the rd into rainbow so it has alot of options depending what the group wants to do!

Looks good guys, well done on the map Luke. Its a fair trip from my place, around 2.2 hours drive to Kin Kin, 3.3 hours to the Maryborough back road turnoff after Gympie. Bugger that at the start and end of a day out, I will be staying over somewhere for sure, which is fine by me, :cheers!:

^^where are you heading from ray? I'm coming from south east bris, so thi drive for me would be a waste if I didn't spend the night

Latest posts

Back