Free-Wheeling Hubs In Place Of Auto? - SOLVED

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch92

Reaction score
G'day

I have a 2010 build 2011 compliance D22 DX single cab 4x4, and it has auto-locking hubs, yet the STR has free-wheeling hubs. Does anyone know why this is and how hard it would be to change them from auto to free-wheeling?

Cheers
Mitch

no navara has auto hubs.
the later D22's don't have lockable hubs at all. you can get manual hubs (originals are better but there is after market) and i'm told fairly straight forward to fit.

Alrighty, well that was different to what the dealer said, however i'll happily take your word over his. Looks like ill be finding a kit to fit up to the fronts then.

Cheers
Mitch

no navara has auto hubs.
the later D22's don't have lockable hubs at all. you can get manual hubs (originals are better but there is after market) and i'm told fairly straight forward to fit.

since when? or is it just the single cabs? the dual cab 4x4's still have manual hubs... how does it make sense not to have them on the single cabs too...?

anyway, on topic, wreckers should have plenty of wrecked dual cabs by now that you can get them off. if not, i used to have avm hubs on an old patrol that worked fine.

here's some info http://www.avm.com.br/products4.htm
i got them from opposite lock in perth, but most 4x4 places can get them i think

That's what made me really notice was that i know the STR's have them still.

Cheers for the link, will have a look at getting some.

Mitch

no navara has auto hubs.

explain? are they full time 4x4 with a centre diff lock? how does one engage 4x4?

since when? or is it just the single cabs? the dual cab 4x4's still have manual hubs... how does it make sense not to have them on the single cabs too...?
i havn't followed it exactly but it think it down to what factory they came out of.
interestingly the UK navaras never had lockable hubs. then they had problems with front prop shaft wearing out and nissan made a stronger version for them.

explain? are they full time 4x4 with a centre diff lock? how does one engage 4x4?

not to sure what your digging at.

they are part time 4x4. no centre diffs. select 4x4 and its in 4x4 mode.
only difference is the ones with front hubs require you to lock the front hubs first before you can use 4x4.
the ones without front hubs simply means that the front shafts get pushed by the wheels when driving in 2wd. just means the cv's and prop shaft wear out quicker and you use more fuel due to increase drag than those with lockable front hubs (assuming they unlock them when in 2wd).

As Tweake said, when Thailand started building the D22's. They dropped the hubs on the single cabs.

Id say its cost cutting.

Would have thought though it would have been cheaper to do all of them with free-wheeling then single's with-out but dual cab with. Oh well, something else to look into.

Mitch

As Tweake said, when Thailand started building the D22's. They dropped the hubs on the single cabs.

Id say its cost cutting.

i actually had a feeling that might have been the case. i do recall now having seen dx 4x4's with just steel wheels and no hub caps and wondering why it didn't have manual hubs. just looked like a normal hub bearing cap, but i thought it looked weird.

that being the case, i guess it's similar to the d40's in that when the transfer is in 2wd the front isn't under any power, just using more fuel and wearing things out quicker as mentioned above.

at least you don't have to get out to lock them in before you go in the bush, lol. maybe they thought the people who bought single cabs will use 4wd more than those who bought str's so they put fixed hubs on them...?

i havn't followed it exactly but it think it down to what factory they came out of.
interestingly the UK navaras never had lockable hubs. then they had problems with front prop shaft wearing out and nissan made a stronger version for them.

not to sure what your digging at.

they are part time 4x4. no centre diffs. select 4x4 and its in 4x4 mode.
only difference is the ones with front hubs require you to lock the front hubs first before you can use 4x4.
the ones without front hubs simply means that the front shafts get pushed by the wheels when driving in 2wd. just means the cv's and prop shaft wear out quicker and you use more fuel due to increase drag than those with lockable front hubs (assuming they unlock them when in 2wd).

ok so my understanding is that n 4x4 mode (with locked hubs like my nav) your drive path from the engine goes through the gearbox -> transfer case -> prop/drive shaft -> rear/front diff -> wheels.

there are three ways around this, either have a centre diff, which you can lock, manual or auto free wheeling hubs, or have the front wheels permanently connected to the front diff, and the selection is done through the transfer lever.

i'm not upto speed with how the new navs do that connection at the front hubs. it may simply be a case of un bolting the front hub and replacing it with a free wheeling one or whether its going to require new CV shafts from the front diff (and possibly new front hubs) to do the change to free-wheeling hubs.

just throwing some thoughts out there

ok so my understanding is that n 4x4 mode (with locked hubs like my nav) your drive path from the engine goes through the gearbox -> transfer case -> prop/drive shaft -> rear/front diff -> wheels.
yes
there are three ways around this, either have a centre diff, which you can lock, manual or auto free wheeling hubs, or have the front wheels permanently connected to the front diff, and the selection is done through the transfer lever.
navaras all use transfer lever (d40 uses electric motor instead of stick). early D22 uses manual hubs. later d22, some overseas models and all D40 have wheels permanently connected to front diff.
i'm not upto speed with how the new navs do that connection at the front hubs. it may simply be a case of un bolting the front hub and replacing it with a free wheeling one or whether its going to require new CV shafts from the front diff (and possibly new front hubs) to do the change to free-wheeling hubs.

someone on UK forum did it recently. afaik the manual hubs bolt straight on no shaft changes required.

The problem i have come across is no one can tell me for certain if the manual hubs will bolt straight on, and it is a lot of dough to spend if they don't.

mitch92 said:
The problem i have come across is no one can tell me for certain if the manual hubs will bolt straight on, and it is a lot of dough to spend if they don't.

G'day mitch92 have ya found out any more info? I wanna do a conversion aswell. Sick off hearing the cv's grind when turning at slow speeds.

Goata, Nah not yet mate. I have outage at work coming up shortly and was thinking with the extra coin i might get a set off ebay cheap, and then see if they fit. Nobody has been able to provide me any answer.

Where are you from? Any chance your local dealer may know?

Mitch

From gippsland mate. Will try to talk to some people around here and see if they can provide some info

Latest posts

Back