which oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tizz007

Reaction score
hey guys i got a 2010 d40 st, just coming up for 1st oil change just wondering what the best brand off oil to use in her , and what everyone else is using , i read in the manuel that i need to 5/30 low ash oil , is fully synthetic best or semi cheers

Low ash is important because of the blow-by the diesel produces which results in a reasonable amount of engine oil being ingested and combusted by the engine. If you still have a DPF in yours (I don't think the ST vehicles did) then you should go up a level from the JASO-FC oil you could use and you'll have to use JASO-FD instead. The small amount of ash produced by JASO-FC oil being combusted is enough to cause problems with the DPF.

That's the reason why if you get Nissan to service it, they will charge you an extra $45 or so if you have a DPF fitted - JASO-FD rated engine oil is dearer, and usually it's fully synthetic.

You can use fully synthetic oils, no problems there. Shell and Penrite are good brands.

I found penrite Enviro+ 5w-40 to be cheaper then the semi syn penrite 5w-40 oil at my local autobarn. So you can guess whats going in at my 5000 oil change.

Do you have a DPF light on the dash and does it light up? If you have a manual, the answer is no, only automatic gearbox vehicles got the DPF and part-way through 2010 they stopped installing DPFs - no idea if the Thai builds had them. Some of the 140kW engines had them (all of the 128kW Spanish autos DID have them). Yours is a Thai build, so I can't be certain.

Start with the dash light. If there is one, in the middle at the bottom, then when the car is turned on it should light up for a few seconds and then go out. If yours doesn't do that, you probably don't have a DPF. The indicator light looks like a spray into a cloud, someone had a pic of it here. I can't find one at the moment.

Then the answer for you, with oil changes, is to ensure that you use the API-4 or JASO FD engine oils. In winter I'd go 5W30 especially if you're wanting to travel in the southern regions of the country (and in particular the high country). I reckon north of the NSW/QLD border would be fine for 10W40, but south of there I'd use the lighter oil.

You all got me thinkn now. Dealer been doin mine so far cause it's under warranty, soon over. Trusty web that it is, all the brands have a product guide. And they ALL have a special note; for the D40 auto with DPF.
ALL low ash, fully synthetic.
I kno, it's sad how particular I am. Missus reminds me with That "LOOK" regular. Right now in fact.
Anyway here's what I found.

Penrite; ENVIRO+ 5w-40
Castrol; SLX PROFESSIONAL OE 5w-30
Valvoline; SYNPOWER MST 5w-30
Shell; HELIX ULTRA EXTRA 5W-30
Nulon; SYND 5w-30 or SYN 5w-40
Mobil; MOBIL1 ESP FORMULA 5w-30
Fuch's; TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX 5w-30
Caltex; HAVOLENE SYNTHETIC C3 5w-30 ***The Delo 400 awesome prod "NOT" rec for this model
AC Delco; SUPREME PLUS 5w-30

List keeps growing with everyone's input

P.S. This listing includes 2007-2011 only. D40 Auto with DPF. *Beware it is "low SAPS"

Last edited:
According to Nissan, on the phone or in your Owners Manual, you HAVE to use a full synthetic 5w30 Low SAPS oil if you're running the DPF. The most important rating Nissan worries about is the ACEA spec. The DPF requires an ACEA-C3 grade oil; the C3 relates to the low SAPS (Ash) oil.

If you have a manual (no DPF) then you can run the oil above but Nissan will actually recommend a semi synthetic 10w40 meeting an ACEA-B3 oil. You can source several semi synthetics which are 10w40 that are rated even higher at an ACEA-B4. The Nissan oil is a semi synthetic ACEA-B3.

In the majority of cases the oil packaging will have an ACEA rating so keep your eye out for it.

P.S- I commented on oil in another thread which outlines a recent tech bulletin published by Nissan engineers. The tech bulletin outlined that use of a 10w40 weight oil was the maximum you can use in the manual transmission D40. They have discontinued the use of 15w40 diesel oil as the engineers believe the use of this heavier weight oil is contributing to excess top end engine wear and excess wearing of the timing gear which is a well documented problem of the YD25 motor.

According to Nissan, on the phone or in your Owners Manual, you HAVE to use a full synthetic 5w30 Low SAPS oil if you're running the DPF. The most important rating Nissan worries about is the ACEA spec. The DPF requires an ACEA-C3 grade oil; the C3 relates to the low SAPS (Ash) oil.

If you have a manual (no DPF) then you can run the oil above but Nissan will actually recommend a semi synthetic 10w40 meeting an ACEA-B3 oil. You can source several semi synthetics which are 10w40 that are rated even higher at an ACEA-B4. The Nissan oil is a semi synthetic ACEA-B3.

In the majority of cases the oil packaging will have an ACEA rating so keep your eye out for it.

P.S- I commented on oil in another thread which outlines a recent tech bulletin published by Nissan engineers. The tech bulletin outlined that use of a 10w40 weight oil was the maximum you can use in the manual transmission D40. They have discontinued the use of 15w40 diesel oil as the engineers believe the use of this heavier weight oil is contributing to excess top end engine wear and excess wearing of the timing gear which is a well documented problem of the YD25 motor.

Luv your work Bluessv.
True story, some are MID SAPS, not LOW SAPS, as it MUST be. "READ the bottle"

Latest posts

Back