Carrying water, need help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hay guys, its been a while since I posted anything but once again I need your advice.

I have been thinking about how we are going to carry water on our adventures, have u guys just carried it in jerry cans or have u lashed out and got a water tank/bladder. Also, do u guys have a water pump to make your lives easier. And if you do, how have u set it up? A friend told me that he had a set up of a 12v water pump, with a hose going into a jerry can and a switch on the dash to turn it all on. Had anyone else done this?

Lastly, are the water bladders/tanks any good or they just another accessory we think we need to have?

Cheers, all opinions welcome! :rock:

How long do you plan to be away from fresh water?

We've never been more than a few days away from fresh water but we've always used water bottles like available from any Aussie Disposals or the 20 litre Jim beam drum we've had for years. We fill up the 20 liter bottles and then refill drink bottles daily with water and only pour out what we need for cooking etc as we need it. Water doesn't tend to taint quickly if stored out of the sun and heat as much as possible, but the containers have to be clean.

There was talk on here a while ago of someone using poly pipes for storage, anything like that is more than adequate (I wouldn't even use food grade pipes) providing they are cleaned out when not in use and water is not stored for long periods.

For me a pump is not necessary, I tend to avoid those plastic taps on the bigger plastic containers because they take very little wear and tear before they begin to leak but if the water is in small enough containers (20 litre or smaller) they aren't just easier to pack around but they are easier to use as a main store and refill drinking bottles each day.

I have found the bladders outrageously expensive compared to my $10 Aussie disposals 20L cube drums. I find the drums fit well under the tarp on the back and stack nicely around my camping gear. But everyone will have a different opinion

i just use 20l jerry cans - and usually just pour out from the top. I also find that the taps get broken or leak way too often (and that means you loose the whole container of water by leaking where u dont want it too).

The wife tops up the little drinking bottles (500 or 600ml) each day from the larger container for while we are driving. (we have a few of them).

I use cube drums or jerry cans with a hand pump (caravan store) in a screw on lid that can be transfereed from one drum to the next.

Electric pump might be cool to have but it is one more thing that can become faulty - and them how do you get you water from the bladder?

Attachments

• DSCF8048.jpg
    DSCF8048.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 99
Like most have said, we use 25L drum. When on my own I don't bother with a tap but with kids about its wise to use one (i like the pump idea ^). If we need more storage we use bladders (like those you find in boxed water) that have a denim outer. These pack down really small when not needed & a relatively easy to fill/ use.

N

I use cube drums or jerry cans with a hand pump (caravan store) in a screw on lid that can be transfereed from one drum to the next.

Electric pump might be cool to have but it is one more thing that can become faulty - and them how do you get you water from the bladder?

That,s another idea i think i might just borrow from these pages

Our caravan has two 59 litre water tanks, but prior to having a caravan with built-in tanks (and a separate pump on each tank) we used to use those 25litre Willow food-grade squarish water containers. While travelling, the tap sits in the cap (it screws into the underside of the cap) and the bung sits in the hole - so any movement won't cause breakage.

When you get there, remove the lid, take off the tap, put the lid back on. Lie the tank on its side, remove the bung, install the tap, stand the thing back up and it's ready to go.

Water containers that are inexpensive, portable and easy to clean are very important. One of my biggest problems with the caravan tanks is keeping them clean and free of algae - I go through a lot of sodium bicarbonate flushing the things out!

I was planning on getting a couple of Jerry cans when we go up the centre, and I've seen them for around $20 - $25 each. But I was thinking of buying say 3 of the 15 litre jobs from the supermarket for $10 each. Have a tap on them. easily refilled and already full of water. My ute has a lid, so no exposure to the sun, so should be all good. Whaddayareckon?

I have used 2 x 35ltr tanks in the back of mine, the reason for two was i wanted to be able to only use one if it was just the mrs and i for a week end and both if the kids came along. I can also remove both tanks when we are home so i am not carrying any unnecessary weight. I have installed a 12v pump that connects to the tank using a snap on air hose fitting, tap at the tailgate and the tanks just get strapped into position using ratchet straps when i need them.....its takes longer to fill them with water than it does to install them in the ute!

Attachments

• IMG_1100.new.jpg
    IMG_1100.new.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1101.new.jpg
    IMG_1101.new.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 90

Latest posts

Back