Unkn0wn's D21 Dual Cab

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the front diff in today.

Modified the front diff cross member for easy removal. This normallly has two bolts that cant be removed without removing the tortion bar/front suspention arms (4 in total - 2 anoying ones are the top ones)

Had a look on my mates d22, the cross member looked the same however there was no suspention arm in the way so you can drop the diff out with minimull fuss. I cut the head of the two top bolts (one with suspention arms in the way) and replaced them the other way around, so the nuts were on the suspen arm side. This allows for easy removal of the main diff crossmember alowing for a painfree diff swap.

photo1111.jpg

Testing the new diff, everything works well, no noises etc. As especte4d the steering is heavier in 4wd, however not as bad as my previous patrol.

The welded diff enabled me to climb some things i could not climb before, the same things another d21 a d22 a Gq and Gu patrol could not make it up so I am verry happy with how the car is now.

Diff and diff crossmembers/mounts

DSCF1001.jpg

DSCF0995.jpg

DSCF1003.jpg

Last edited:
and here is a video of this afternoon.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4qZKaGG4I&feature=channel_video_title[/YT]

lastly

DSCF1009.jpg

Christian

Last edited:
That's a clever solution for the diff cross member problem. These cars are designed first and foremost to be easy to put together in a factory, not to take apart. I must remember to flip that bolt if I ever have the suspension arms off.

The video looks awesome, the front diff makes a massive difference. Now you just need some chunky muddies and you'll be unstoppable. Let us know how the reliability is.

Did you have a look in the diff you took out?

You'll have to let the boys know I'll be down in a few weeks to get my diff done!!

Did you have a look in the diff you took out?

You'll have to let the boys know I'll be down in a few weeks to get my diff done!!

Hey,

shoot us an email and we can sort out a time for a diff weld - not in the next couple of weeks tho as Ill be out at a mates farm.

Havent had a look at Diff yet, been quite busy with the alternator. It would seem the last mud fun killed it.

Found this out Sunday morning when i went to start it and the battery was flat. Test with the Multi confirmed the battery was really flat and the alternator was not charging.

Took it apart to find alot of mud and a bush was worn down to nothing.

IMG_2314.jpg

went into the AutoElecy and they recomended i buy a new altenator, altho i only asked them for a new set of bush's.
$5 later I had two new bushes and they guy telling me it wont fix it.

IMG_2318.jpg

went into supercheap, got some degreaser. Used a good couple of can's getting the mudd and grease out of it and then put it all together.

while it was out I did some slight modifications to the wiring, removed some crapy conectors and installed heavy duity ones.

Put it all together and fired her up. Was not overly impressed with it the first time, but the battery was still flat so I put that on charge.

Testing last night and it was :
12.8V with the car off
14.1 wih car at idle
14.2 at 2000 Rpm
14.1 at idle and all the lights on.

So not to bad at all for ~$15 worth of parts

Alternator pictures by Unkn0wNPatroL - Photobucket

Christian

Time for a bit of an update, went out to a mates farm over the easter long weekend and busted up the navara some more.

Have done something to the front diff, one wheel stoped spinning then pretty much the next day it droped all its oil.

Need to take it out and see what went wrong there. I havent opended up my other broken diff, but i hope between them i can make a working diff.

we managed to bog the cars a few times in the salt lake and im pretty sure the alternator took on some more mud as it stoped working again to.

215648_10150165723228807_618008806_6955321_7666633_n.jpg

225683_10150165715318807_618008806_6955134_2565826_n.jpg

230551_10150569626650424_812760423_18111147_5793654_n.jpg

Last edited:
on the way back from the farm my mates GQ started having issues with the clutch slipping (15 mins into a 5 hour drive) so i had to take over the payload

227926_10150583623130424_812760423_18276346_2302621_n.jpg

The old TD went fine, no overheating etc but was terrably slow. pretty much would do 80kmhr the entire way. was only able to use 5th on roads with a decline. Even on dead flat roads she would not get any faster as soon as it went into 5th (rev out 4th to 90 or so) an it would slowly just start getting slower.

So hopefully before i have to tow anything heavy again i have a turbo, or larger engine.

Here is the video my mate made of us @ the farm : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM07hnDklf0&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:
more recently I mounted the Air comp behind the rear seat.
Used an exsisting bolt holes that were conected to a bracket, that had nothing in it.

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

thats pretty much it for now.

Went to checkout a bloke selling a busted Terrano cheap (busted body). Bit of a downer to find the alternator was missing (his mate took it awhile ago). Are these things reasonble hard to find these days? The TD27 alt is the same as the Td42 motors isent it?

Christian

Just brought home my cheap navara 'turbo kit' comprising of one mostly compete wd22, I call him Terry, Terry the Terrano.

122_0169.jpg

DSCF1233.jpg

Last edited:
looks like you been having a bit to much fun :)
good score on the terrano if you want to get rid of any bits that you don't use let me know i'm after a couple of body panels.
keep up the mods and pics !!:cheers!:

The old TD went fine, no overheating etc but was terrably slow. pretty much would do 80kmhr the entire way. was only able to use 5th on roads with a decline. Even on dead flat roads she would not get any faster as soon as it went into 5th (rev out 4th to 90 or so) an it would slowly just start getting slower.

So hopefully before i have to tow anything heavy again i have a turbo, or larger engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM07hnDklf0&feature=channel_video_title

That sounds about right for the TD. With my QD32, I can get a payload of 2600kg up to 110 on the flat, so your theory is about right.

Hi Guys,

Just working on the terrano each day after work, not much of a window before the sun goes down.

A mate and I tried to remove the turbo motor without removing the front diff, that failed. Yesterday I removed the front diff and today I removed the engine.

Getting pretty good at removing the diffs in these things, I might do a video tutorial when i drop out the Navs diff later this week.

anyway here is a picture or two.

DSCF1239.jpg

DSCF1242.jpg

DSCF1250.jpg

I had the intake butterfly welded closed and I also bought a plug to plug the boost relive valve. I am however thinking of using the Na intake manafold so i dont have to block up the EGR pipe.

67a6b760.jpg

where the EGR pipe connects to the exhaust manafold Im going to make up a bracket that houses my EGT proble, but that has not been done yet.

DSCF1244.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg

I have to replace a few hoses as they are leaking and give the engine a good clean up.

as allways ill keep you updated with pictures when something interesting happens.

time for an update, alot has happent since the last post, ill try to keep it in a vauge order.

So the emissions pipe was cut off and I reused each flange
on the intake side I blocked it off and on the exhaust side I welded in a nut for the EGT probe.

73d533a1.jpg

3896c5c9.jpg

I replaced the two rubber hoses that help join up the turbo water lines.

I also removed and cleaned out the intake manafold, it was full of black crud. This was all installed with the new TB that has had the butterfly removed and welded up.

(crap picture)

35b56a0b.jpg

Had to remove the nav diff to get the old td27 out, but that was not an issue as it was dead anyway.

swapping td27 for td27t was pretty easy. all the important wiring was same same and it fired up straight away. After forgetting to prime the diesel it did not run to well, but a few pumps on the diesel primer and it started and ran perfectly.

I wanted to get a decent air filter for the terrano air box, but i could only find a uni filter for $200 and the stock air filter was $75 odd diollars to. I installed a temp pod filter as they were on sale at supercheap for ~$20.

I will be fixing up this intake setup in the near future. apoligies for the crap photos, will be taking some better ones this weekend when we go test out 4wd.

b79dd689.jpg

612376b7.jpg

After installing the engine I installed the terrano front diff. Now i had the stock c200 4.8 rear and the Terrano 4.6 front.

I went and bought a navara h233 rear with 4.6 ratio rear and put that in.

0b2d1e9c.jpg

Went about installing the new diff, all pretty straight forward....

c200

f7c54951.jpg

h233

9f7ce324.jpg

installed these 'spring' spacers that a forum member gave me. they sit where the standard bump stops are and lift up the rear and provide a leaf/spring rear suspention setup.

fb42335a.jpg

6ca2343a.jpg

I dident know at the time, but it seem's to have lifted the rear 2 inchs or so. I drove around with them in for a few days and you could definatly notice the 'softer' fell at the rear.

I decided to take them out as the ute looked stupid with a high rear and the rain water was pooling in the tray.

671e7953.jpg

the c200 diff has a smaller diff flange than the h233, so my tailshaft did not bolt on. The terrano one was a one piece tailshaft and notcompatible with the Navara two piece one (both different lenghts).

So i removed the flanges, using a 27mm socket and pulley puller. Luckly they were interchangeable, so i am using the c200 flange on the h233 and the driveshaft all lines up sweet.

1eae992f.jpg

so atm its all driveable and seems to be running sweet.

It was only running about 4Psi to start with but i tightend the adjustable actuator rod and its running closer to 7 psi now. Once i sort out an intercooler i will run a bit more.

I also have plans to swap over the terry front brakes, as they are the twin piston type and should be a bit better than the Navaras single piston calapers. Around the same time ill change over to the terry rear disc brake setup and get rid of the Navs drum rear.

anyway, ill post some better pics in a few days and let everyone know how she goes offroad.

Latest posts

Back