Unkn0wn's D21 Dual Cab

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Christian I've got a spare tailshaft out of my
parts car.
I put a new centre bearing in mine already so don't
mind parting with it if you still need one.
Craig 0400804666

Cheers Craig - was a pity your spare tail-shaft had the bearing removed - ill defiantly catch-up with you sometime about the other parts.

Bought a new bearing from Covs and fitted it myself. There was some swearing getting the nut of, but a 2m breaker bar extension fixed this. My bearing had only one place it would go in, there was only one place it would go - so i just put it in there and it seemed to line up and work fine?

so looks like its fixed - i only managed a test drive around the block as it was late - but the car goes again without any strange noises.

aBnA0b8l.jpg

kdmFhghl.jpg

gYNcbDal.jpg

might take it all of one day when im really bored and clean up the rusty/dirty metal and paint it.

Hey Mate, can you get a centre-to-centre measurement of the distance between the leaf hangers on the h233b?

Take this as Aprox mate, its kinda hard to get exact.
Inside of the hanger to inside of hanger the other side

D21 1st gen - 1st gen H233b centre - 94 Cm http://i.imgur.com/oI4MyY8
D22 1st gen - 2nd Gen H233b centre - 97 Cm http://imgur.com/LuymG3O

Outside of hanger to inside of drum

D21 1st gen - 1st gen H233b centre - 13 Cm http://imgur.com/ZQbsBS4
D22 1st gen - 2nd Gen H233b centre - 16.5 Cm http://imgur.com/RdnRQKw

Keen to find anyone with a 1994+ D21 with the H233 to provide pictures and measurements.

- christian

About two weeks ago on a 4wd trip, the turbo blew an oil seal and rendered itself useless.
I bypassed the turbo using a old pod filter and was able to drive the car home / around.

fuKy2w3.jpg

In my limited time, i was not able to find a second terrano turbo unit. There was a couple of new ones on ebay for around $550.

I ended up picking up a t25g silvia turbo, from a sr20det for $100. These turbos can be found cheap enough secondhand and are just about always available.

The turbos are slightly larger than the stock unit, the stock it a HT12 Hytashi or gt20 frame - so the t25g is pretty much the next size up.

both turbos are a T2 flange, so it bolts onto the exhaust manifold just fine. You will need to rotate the exhaust and intake housing as the terry one is vertical and the Silvia is horizontal. This is to make sure the oil drain is facing down.

The oil feed on these uses a bigger banjo, so i had to have the oil feed modified.

The water lines are the same, so these bolt up.

The oil drain bolt holes don't line up as they are spaced further out, but the drain hole is the same size, so using a larger bit i re-drilled out the mounts until i was able to bolt it in.

the intake is different, so i had to make a new intake pipe. The intake uses a 2 bolt flange instead of the terranos 3 bolt.

The exhaust flange is different, and because the turbo is rotated from a Silvia configuration you cannot use a Silvia dump/front pipe...you will need to make one, as i did.

It was a crap load of work, but at least i became a bit more familiar with how to use the welder and did learn allot doing it.

Removing the old turbo system, just about every single stud snapped, that's even after pre-soaking for a long time in wd40 - this made the job even worse as removing studs is a PITA.

55oE51L.jpg

rear part of the exhaust, with an old muffler from a Silvia exhaust i had. Without the muffler it sounded like a truck and was to loud. Its nice and quiet with the single muffler.

e9PHCgk.jpg

intake pipe, unpainted

IQS0iB1.jpg

engine bay

oFG3zG6.jpg

I tested the turbo without the actuator connected it easily boosted up to 15psi before i backed off. I connected the actuator and we are now running a standard 7.5Psi.

The car seems a little bit more responsive than before.

The plan is to fit a front mount and then wind the boost back up to 15psi.

- christian

Got a bit sick of the welded rear diff and the fact the d22 diff was longer.

So i re-shimed a h233b LSD center from a Terrano and bolted it into the old d21 diff housing.
I also pressed out the terrano half shafts, along with the D22 ones, swapped the terrano shafts into the D22 rear brake setup and bolted that in.

So now im running a d21 h233b housing, Tight LSD with the larger d22 rear brakes.

I could have run the terrano rear disc brakes, but i diddent want to bugger around with the different hbreak cable setup. I'm quite happy with the D22 rear breaks.

I also swapped the bonnet for one without a homemade scoop, just need to paint that up.

I also picked up, from the same wreck a steel bull-bar that im going to modify to fit my nav (bodylift, need to lift bar up) and fit that.

then onto puttin a lsd into the front and the front brake upgrades.

nice work mate keep it up...

gives me ideas for my d21 dual cab..

question: are you able to keep the A/C system when you put in the TD27T.

also do u use the same from diff and gear box or stanard one bolts up to it?

cheers still clueless on this transplant

nice work mate keep it up...
gives me ideas for my d21 dual cab..
question: are you able to keep the A/C system when you put in the TD27T.
also do u use the same from diff and gear box or stanard one bolts up to it?
cheers still clueless on this transplant

My Nav was originally a td27, so the ac compressor etc from this will bolt directly to the td27T however i don't run AC

They share the same gearbox, the gearbox is also the same as the 2.4l petrol except the bell-housing is different.

my Nav originally came with the 4.88 gear ratio, pretty standard for the NA Manual diesel d21's.

I'm currently running 4.6 gear ratio as i changed to the larger type rear diff housing, i will be changing to the upgraded front diff also - these are pretty impossible to find in 4.88 they are more common in 4.6 and 4.3 ratios.

Inter-cooler fitted and working.

needs a proper tune up, but i have made some fuel and boost adjustments and in comparison it hauls ass now.

i need to make some modifications to the hot side piping, but its functional for now, although i dont like all the joiners and reducecers etc.

bA8E9iF.jpg

x47tfQY.jpg

b2zhsdm.jpg

Good job mate.
She's a nice fit, I assume you've done away with the
a/c and what's your plan for a grill ?

Well, we had a good run, but I sold the D21 on the weekend.
She has'ent gone to far and there is a good chance ill see her again..but it was time to move on.

I picked up a repairable write-off S1 d22, after a couple of weeks full of long nights and lots of swearing I got her all sorted and licensed.

Shes a dead stock Qd 3.2, ive already collected a turbo kit for her, led light bar, CB radio, new sterio and im in the process of ordering a lift kit from Zordo.

Ill start up a build thread for her a little later, when the lift is done. But here is some starters...

both the girls in the drive:

I365brv.jpg

day after getting rego, camping

lt2pe2F.jpg

gjwUUzi.jpg

christian

Last edited:
omg!

fvy3jr.jpg

farewell awesome d21! im slowly hunting down parts for the snorkel plumbing and that filter and a turbo kit.

Yeah the old girl was a bit of fun car offroad, just not overly comfortable on road.

i know the guy who bought it, friend of a friend, so ill porberly see her again.

the d22 i have is a qd3.2, so basically a td27.
I already have a full turbo kit for it, from a terrano
just thinking about getting a larger exhaust and some other bits before i get to work.
still enjoying the stockiness of her, but that will change shortly!

Well at least you made the right choice. The QD32 is a great motor. I love my Series 1 D22

Let me know how you go with the turbo mod.

Well at least you made the right choice. The QD32 is a great motor. I love my Series 1 D22

Let me know how you go with the turbo mod.

Cheers.
Yeah, got a front/dump pipe coming from ebay, then i might look at having the turbo reconditioned....prob get it sorted slowly, im in no rush.

installed 2inch lift last weekend
bought some new rims, just on the hunt for tires.
got my eBay snorkel kit expected this week.
lines up a steel bullbar
so its all goo go.

Latest posts

Back