Unkn0wn's D21 Dual Cab

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks sweet mate, I'll have to come down and have a look. You free soon for a drive?

Getting a CB shortly and got to makeup the hood scoop and fan setup - once thats all sorted ill be keen for a drive.
edit - and i orderd that draglink today, so thats needs to go in with the idler brace and then alligment.

Well done mate. Top build.

Those Yota intercoolers dont look to bad. Pretty decent quality for a factory intercooler.

Welded tanks. Nissan should do the same.

Thanks, Yeah i thought the same - 2.5inlet and outlet with a 4inch thick core..pretty hardcore, but it does have to cool a 3l twin turbo.

Sweet mate, if you need another set of hands let me know. I'm keen to come up and see if the new draglink and brace will solve our problem!!

long time update

Oh wow, haven’t updated this in forever - must be because the nav is so reliable! ..ornot

I’ve had to reinforce that Intercooler bracket setup since as it has broke 2wice in two different places not long after installing it..since then it’s been great. Lately I have been contemplating going to a water-cooling setup..but that’s just a pipe dream ATM.

I’ve also busted and replaced the gearbox in the last year or so since updating..my thread for that was here : http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=13472

Had to replace a leaky PS unit to..

My starter motor kicked the bucket a few months back to, around the same time i needed a new battery. Installed a second-hand starter motor that I got from a local guy who wrecks allot of terranos - since finding him I’ve bought quite a few misc parts (great having a local parts guy!).

Grabbed a new optima yellow from eBay, as it was around the standard 4wd bat price locally...very happy with it...have left lights on (intentionally and non intentionally) for hours and never had an issue starting... plenty of grunt..

I also did a home-made glow plug timer - full write-up here : http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=16733

most recently it was discovered both my manual hubs were not engaging, or disengaging correctly...i was able to fix one by cleaning it out and the other was a lost cause..ill be picking up another set on the weekend- quite possibly with a r200 front diff setup (yay).

so plans for the future look like a r200 front setup, with a lsd centre isstalled and a re-shim for my rear to lock her up as it acting like an open diff at the moment.

keep an ear to the ground and i might update this with some diff stuff soon!

Navs coming along well mate.
How much difference did the cooler make ?
I'm going to be converting mine to a td27t soon
and have a spare cooler of an rx7 that I was thinking of
using in the same way yours is setup.
And that fellas pipe work looks pretty shimck.
Craig

Navs coming along well mate.
How much difference did the cooler make ?
I'm going to be converting mine to a td27t soon
and have a spare cooler of an rx7 that I was thinking of
using in the same way yours is setup.
And that fellas pipe work looks pretty shimck.
Craig

Hi,
it dident make any noticable difference really. I wanted to install it so i could wind up the boost...but there is an issue with my setup and it wont build more boost that around 5Psi..

first quarter next year i hope to install a t28 from a silvia, full 3' exhaust with an external wastegate on about 15psi of boost. Once ive installed this im going to take it somewhere to get a professional injector clean and dyno tune.

Im guessing once the boost is sorted the IC will be efective...but being a top mount its more of a heat soak at low speeds...id prefer a water to air for the setup, but we will see how we go..Otherwise front mounting would be better for air flow.

Thanks mate.
You're right front mount would be better but
not a lot of room for one behind the grill
so water to air might be the better option.
Saved cuttin holes in the bonnet too.

G'day Christian, good build up of an old truck mate, had a look at your gearbox thread, what was the outcome? Did you end up fitting a scoop? Keep up the good work, Pete

Thanks mate.
You're right front mount would be better but
not a lot of room for one behind the grill
so water to air might be the better option.
Saved cuttin holes in the bonnet too.

Yeah, It would be a cleaner install. Id like to be able to mount a pulley driven water pump (ie a jetski water pump) rather than run a an electrical one...but that's a pipe dream atm...ill be sticking with the top mount for now.

G'day Christian, good build up of an old truck mate, had a look at your gearbox thread, what was the outcome? Did you end up fitting a scoop? Keep up the good work, Pete

cheers mate. The 'gearbox' was making noises after the install.....about 3 weeks later one of the two noises went away....i was able to narrow down the last noise to the tail shaft bearing.....so i think she is all good, gearbox has been fine, shifting smooth etc..

I fitted a quick job of the scoop, and its been like this for quite some time... i keep telling myself I will paint it one day...maybe now summer has come round i should kick into gear and do it.

here is a couple of pictures from the last few outings.

roYrD.jpg

o9TUd.jpg

k1Vop.jpg

CV joints are easy to replace just use an angle grinder to cut the metals that holds the bearings. install the C clips compress the C clips while installing the drive shaft and your done. If ever you will do that change the rubber booth also so you don't have to worry getting the dirt inside once your boot were damaged. HTH

CV joints are easy to replace just use an angle grinder to cut the metals that holds the bearings. install the C clips compress the C clips while installing the drive shaft and your done. If ever you will do that change the rubber booth also so you don't have to worry getting the dirt inside once your boot were damaged. HTH

Cheers, i tried once and ended up busting the bearing case...turns out i was doing it wrong...last set i got done the guy showed me how to do them....so im going to try do it myself for the next set, but hopefully thats not for a long time.

Nice pics mate the mud hole looks like
a fun spot.

cheers mate, thats down at harvy dam....so proberly quite close to you if your in bunbury..

had some interesting devolpments today.

The car has been running low..around 2psi...sometimes it would run 4ish when it was in a good mood. I put this down to a broken turbo (i tried many things to fix it) so i had allways planed to replace it.

Not long after fitting the intercooler the rear bracket broke. I had it reinforced and it has not been a problem since.

I took the IC off for the first time since then and noticed this

sLOhl.jpg

Its quite hard to see, but both sides are very split along the last row of fins.

ObbG2.jpg

This explains my lack of boost.....

Last edited:
Packed up the tools and went round a mates, as I had no 2.5 inch pipe. Cut-up some of his..

HMoPE.jpg

and came up with this setup to get around the IC for now.

xxjqe.jpg

The car quite happy is boosting to 7-8Psi now and runs so so so much quicker.

I might fast forward my plans to revise the inter-cooler set-up, perhaps move to a water to air set-up.

so it pays to check your system for leaks!

Last edited:
Damn that's gotta suck.
Little to much vibrations perched up on top of the motor I suspect.
Another reason to go with a water to air setup or front mount.
Good luck with the next setup.

some more bad luck with the old girl this weekend...was out Lancelin having fun in the dunes

managed to crack the ally intercooler pipe...

hoKNv.jpg

but also managed to fix it (suprisingly held boost)

Uj4OP.jpg

then woke up the next day to a flat tyre, so i have a leaky sidewall aparently...sigh

Damn dude you're having a bad run !
Gotta love the cable ties aye, whatever it takes to get it home.
Keep at it you'll get it eventually.

Installed a D22 diff on the weekend, from a QD 3.2 1st gen.
I wanted the newer h233b type housing.
The diff I got was an open type, The guy i got it from said it was an LSD (woe is me for not testing) anyway I was going to re-shim the LSD unit, so instead we welded the open carrier.

anyway the d22 leaf mounts are slightly further apart, close but ideally need modifications to fit.
From the leaf mount outward there is 3.5cm more track, meaning the rear is now wider.
this also means the d21 h-break cable does not fit without modifications.

d22 is the black one - also notice the noticeably larger brake drums.

waNruC5l.jpg

UvoR0Vfl.jpg

7uNYhKzl.jpg

Have done some testing with the diff and because the NAV is so light at the rear, the skipping from the welded diff is hardly noticeable.
I assume when its loaded up it will be a bitch to drive.

I have access to some terrano diffs, so im going to get one and re-shim up an LSD unit for it as im not going to be happy with the welded diff as a long term solution.

My friend had one and a shim for s H233b patrol diff..assuming they were the same we tried to install that this weekend to.
We were wrong about the shim, as you can see the terrano shims are way smaller...so we need to find a reasonable place to order these from (nissan are pretty expensive).

3FnobrPl.jpg

sARTZIGl.jpg

anyway, the next day after installing my diff, went to test offroad. As expected it was awesome....
halfway thro the little test the tail shaft center bearing came out of the carrier.
Id known for a while the center bearing was not in great shape and i should have replaced it earlier.
looks like it wobbled so much a bolt came out of the housing, then it made it way out over time.

had to implement a cable tie solution to get home (worked fine) but im on the hunt for a new tail shaft with good center bearing and mount...

57sEtehl.jpg

christian

Hey mate, give www.4x4parts.com a look in.

They're American based and might just have what you need - that's who I got my c200 crown and pinion from for my ratio changeover.

Very knowledgable, a little slow to reply to emails, but they know what they're on about.

Latest posts

Back