Catch Can install for dummies?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's simple. Find the rubber hose from the back of the cam cover on top of the engine that runs down to the turbo. Then just put the catch can inline with that hose to catch the oil before entering the turbo.

Are u serious? Thats it?! I thought there was two lines involved! So cut that, connect one half as an entrance, other half as exit???

The one i was looking at has a breather on top. Should i also stuff some pot scourer in there as well? And also what material tube connectors should i use to fit the hose to the can? Sorry about all the questions!!

The hose has to be reasonably capable of withstanding a little heat and oil vapour, so fuel-rated would work well.

Bugger of a thing is mounting it. I tried mounting mine on the front wall beside the radiator but it never sat right then the visual gauge glass broke and I ended up with oil everywhere. I've removed it ... I think I'll put a couple of screws in place where the clear pipe was and just assume it needs emptying once a month or something.

I put a metal (aluminium) divider in mine, and some stainless steel scourer on the bottom halves with a tube extension from the intake side to the bottom, forcing the oil vapour to have to bubble its way through anything that had already been caught.

20130603_125917_zps17d3b2bb.jpg

20130603_125932_zpsc911f9dd.jpg

20130603_125939_zpsa3890f34.jpg

20130603_125955_zpsba5baa9e.jpg

These might help. Hose to/from the can is the dotted hose. I used hose clamps to secure it all.

Hardest part was mounting the bloody can. Not much room.

Dave what did you do with the drain line at the bottom

Capped it with a rubber grommet I got from somewhere I can't recall.

With the new washable filter I plan to remove it with each service & clean it so I'll drain the can manually each service.

Touch wood ... its been dry of oil for all the services I've done.

Can you clarify this for me - your catch can has not caught any oil, ever?

It's obviously possible with a gentle driving style, but at some point some revs are going to have to happen, oil heats up ... sorry, I'm just a little surprised!

It's obviously possible with a gentle driving style, but at some point some revs are going to have to happen, oil heats up ... sorry, I'm just a little surprised!

There's been no pooled oil laying in the bottom where the drain is Tony. All seems to have been captured by the scrubber filter so its doing the job.

Didn't help save my bloody timing chain though ...

Capped it with a rubber grommet I got from somewhere I can't recall.

With the new washable filter I plan to remove it with each service & clean it so I'll drain the can manually each service.

There's been no pooled oil laying in the bottom where the drain is Tony. All seems to have been captured by the scrubber filter so its doing the job.

Didn't help save my bloody timing chain though ...

I would of thought that the filter is doing it job and removing the junk from the vapour and returning the now "cleaned" vapour back to the engine, BUT i would still think that some oil should be in the bottom of the can after all isnt it why its called a "catch can" not a filter??

I would of thought that the filter is doing it job and removing the junk from the vapour and returning the now "cleaned" vapour back to the engine, BUT i would still think that some oil should be in the bottom of the can after all isnt it why its called a "catch can" not a filter??

Not thus far Nathan ... so its either working really well or not at all.

Perhaps it's a filtered catch can? Tomato ... tomayto.

The whole goal of the catch can is to catch as much oil as it possibly can from the exhaust stream, removing it from the gas entering the intake (yes, more bloody exhaust gas going into the intake, but I've bitched about that before too). If yours isn't catching much oil at all, then either you're not getting much oil going out the breather or the catch can isn't doing its job at all.

If you have some stuff in there like scourer material or such, then it would be catching most of what comes out and you have not had a lot of oil depart from the PCV at all - which means your engine is probably staying quite cool, it's not being driven hard at all, and if someone needs a replacement motor they would be doing themselves a favour by looking under YOUR bonnet first - keep the car locked up! :rofl2:

The whole goal of the catch can is to catch as much oil as it possibly can from the exhaust stream, removing it from the gas entering the intake (yes, more bloody exhaust gas going into the intake, but I've bitched about that before too). If yours isn't catching much oil at all, then either you're not getting much oil going out the breather or the catch can isn't doing its job at all.

If you have some stuff in there like scourer material or such, then it would be catching most of what comes out and you have not had a lot of oil depart from the PCV at all - which means your engine is probably staying quite cool, it's not being driven hard at all, and if someone needs a replacement motor they would be doing themselves a favour by looking under YOUR bonnet first - keep the car locked up! :rofl2:

I suspect its working nicely gauging from how oily the internal scrubber is & decrease in visible exhaust smoke.

Right at the moment anyone is welcome to my engine & the stupid rattling timing chain within. One of the main reason I chose a d40 was because there was no exorbitant timing belt services as it had a timing chain.

Here we are at 109000km & the rattle rattle fairy has delivered me a $3000 present! Define irony ...

I know ... cup of concrete?????

This video shows my catch can install process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXz4ODvjczs

Mine has been in for 3000km now and there is still no visible oil in the level checking pipe. I will take it apart at my 5000km oil change and have a look inside, but I was quite surprised. I would have thought that early on while the rings are still seating I would see the most oil, but doesn't appear to be the case.

Awesome thanks mate!! I have heard that if you generally dont rev your engine over 2500 revs 90% of the time, they wont collect a heap of oil but if you open the lid and check the filter, it will be dirty.

If you drive it hard it will collect alot more. Dont take my word for it though. Just ordered my Provent 200 can kit for the D40 with vehicle specific hoses and mounting bracket. Will throw it in on the weekend.

OK, so after reading thru this - any reason why you wouldn't just seal off both the PCV output & the turbo connection & just have them doing nothing rather than piping warm air into the turbo input??

Because you will blow the dipstick out of the hole, probably blow the rocker cover and sump gaskets and end up with a nice engine rebuild bill.........

The pcv system is there to remove the blow by gasses created during combustion. The whole purpose of it is to remove pressure buildup from inside the motor and legally it has to be fed back into the intake due to emissions regulations. They used to just pump it out into the atmosphere but you will get a nice fine and probably go to jail if you do that now...

It's a shame that we can't use a one-way valve and feed the PCV into the exhaust post-turbo.

PCV is common to any internal combustion engine, not just the CRDs. As the fuel burns in the combustion chamber, it MUST expand, so it pushes the piston down. Some of the expanding gases seep past the piston rings (which is why you have to stagger the gaps in the rings when assembling the engine) and these gases enter the crankcase below, pressurising it. If there's no means of escape, the results Bods described will occur.

Latest posts

Back