Catch Can install for dummies?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone tried running running the breather hose down the firewall and exiting underneath the engine and blocking the entry off just before the turbo? Think I might do this, just cleaned a tonne of oil out of my intercooler and pipes.

Is it possible the inlet and outlet is the wrong way around?? this has been mentioned in another thread so i thought id mention it.

has anyone tried running running the breather hose down the firewall and exiting underneath the engine and blocking the entry off just before the turbo? Think I might do this, just cleaned a tonne of oil out of my intercooler and pipes.

It is doable, but I hope you have deep pockets as the cost of the fine when you get caught is a lot more than the cost of a catch can...

So you can extend the breather down under the truck and just fit a blank at the turbo? No fines to be had here in Thailand. Lol.

I did that one. Supercheap sell a calibre one for around $59 I think it was..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 289
hey guys, I have been told my nav blows a decent amount of black smoke under acceleration. I did the hard pipe upgrade not that long ago and found a lot of oil in the old rubber hose. if I installed a catch can would that stop or help the smoke at all?

cheers

Marginally. Black smoke means the fuel is partly burnt. Complete combustion occurs when the right amount of fuel is ignited with the right amount of air.

Things that can impact on the ideal mixture (apart from faults) are delays in turbo spool time, combustion-dampening systems like EGR (and PCV) and dirty MAFS sensors (particularly where oil-soaked air filters are used). There are other influences - like chips - often the cheaper chips don't account for the turbocharger, they just boost the fuel rate which increases the black smoke, but I guess you'd know about that one.

You'll find that an EGR block may reduce that significantly. Follow your car while someone else gives it a bootful before and after to see the improvement for yourself.

I have a 2011 D40 and want to do this mod but it looks like the hose to the turbo actually is in the air inlet hose (bout an inch before the turbo) is this the correct pipe just checking all the pic I've seen seem to go directly into the turbo

I have a 2011 D40 and want to do this mod but it looks like the hose to the turbo actually is in the air inlet hose (bout an inch before the turbo) is this the correct pipe just checking all the pic I've seen seem to go directly into the turbo
That's not the one your after mate, look below at the pictures (third one ) it will show you where it starts ie just behind the back right side of the engine cover and follow the hose, it should have some metal shielding on it as it passes the turbo :)

20130603_125917_zps17d3b2bb.jpg

20130603_125932_zpsc911f9dd.jpg

20130603_125939_zpsa3890f34.jpg

20130603_125955_zpsba5baa9e.jpg

These might help. Hose to/from the can is the dotted hose. I used hose clamps to secure it all.

Hardest part was mounting the bloody can. Not much room.

As Mike says, follow the hose from the top of the rear of the engine. It won't go into the turbocharger directly, it has to plug into the plastic hose just before the turbo.

Mine abit different
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391202321.947472.jpg
The hose that gets replaced
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391202367.729737.jpg
Engine side which looks like all other pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391202408.779652.jpg
Pipe into air intake
Pretty confident that's the one just want to confirm it sorry for the stupidity

Better to be safe in the knowledge it's done right than to be sorry because you've plumbed the heater matrix into the air intake!

Looks like you have the right hose.

Latest posts

Back