Catch Can install for dummies?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marginally. Black smoke means the fuel is partly burnt. Complete combustion occurs when the right amount of fuel mixed with the right amount of air.

Things that can impact on the ideal mixture (apart from faults) are delays in turbo spool time, combustion-dampening systems like EGR (and PCV) and dirty MAFS sensors (particularly where oil-soaked air filters are used). There are other influences - like chips - often the cheaper chips don't account for the turbocharger, they just boost the fuel rate which increases the black smoke, but I guess you'd know about that one.

You'll find that an EGR block may reduce that significantly. Follow your car while someone else gives it a bootful before and after to see the improvement for yourself.

I did the EGR block a little while ago and nothing really changed. I also don't have a chip but I will be getting one very shortly. Most probably going for a chip it or roo systems. I do have a oil air filter though so that might be worth taking a look at. If that fails I think it's off to the mechanic

You can still use oiled air filters, just dont oil them. Only clean them. They will still last for a long long time. That way you dont have to keep cleaning your MAF sensor.

Also dont use them offroad. They let in too much dust. I had one, then sold it as i got sick of switching filters between on and offroad. I just stuck to the factory paper filter. They are fine.

Oil air filters have the unfortunate side effect of putting microscopic oil particles into the air stream. These can strike the wire in the MAFS and, just like a BBQ, burning oil on hot metal results in black crud left on the wire. This impacts quite a bit on the results of the MAFS, which the car uses to determine fuel and boost pressures.

Thats it! Exactly why i just ditched mine. But for onroad use they are ok provide you DONT OIL THEM. When you first buy it, use a cleaner kit to thoroughly clean all traces of oil off of it and use it as a dry filter.

But i couldnt be arsed swapping them over all the time so i bought a second paper filter for standby

Thats it! Exactly why i just ditched mine. But for onroad use they are ok provide you DONT OIL THEM. When you first buy it, use a cleaner kit to thoroughly clean all traces of oil off of it and use it as a dry filter.

But i couldnt be arsed swapping them over all the time so i bought a second paper filter for standby

Not to be rude but I would NEVER use a filter that is designed to be oiled with out oil,
The reason being is the elements have bigger holes in them basically and the reason they are able to trap the fine dust and debris is via the oil, take the oil away and they become quite ineffective.

I have grown up around dirt bikes so i have alway s used filters that require oil and when i have seen bikes come into dads shop with out being oiled the crap that is up in the intake is UNBELIEVABLE and what that does to the bore ect is catastrophic.

I know using a car un a road isnt like a motox bike but still i just would never do it.
I would just make sure that it isnt over oiled and make sure i leave it out to dry out as per instruction before i put it back in the airbox.
Well thats what i did with my old 2010 ST and it was fine after 100,000km no MAFS probs or oil residue in the intake area what so ever.

ahh k that makes sense guys. so how do I cleam my MAF sensor. I know where it is but i just thought it was very fragile?

As far as im concerned when it comes to 4x4's and k&n filters for arguements sake, the oiling just prolongs the life of the filter.

My Yamaha 350 Raptor has the foam filter (no oil) but the filter is fine enough to catch any dust, whereas the k&n in a 4x4 offroad i wouldnt trust. Onroad is a bit different. But id rather not oil one for onroad use at the risk of paying $400+ when the MAF shits bricks and needs replacing. I used a k&n panel in my old 99' Pathfinder onroad without using any oil, and it lasted 4 years with no probs before i sold it.

ahh k that makes sense guys. so how do I cleam my MAF sensor. I know where it is but i just thought it was very fragile?

Airbox to turbo pipe, just as it exits the the airbox theres a "plug" with two phillips head screws in it plumbed into the pipe, undo those screws and GENTLY manouvre it out, give the surface a spray with contact cleaner, and put it back in and Bob's your cousin

Hi guys. Have a provent 200 can. Just wondering what kind of bolts to use to mount it behind the fuel filter, as you cant secure a nut to tighten the bolt. Probably a dumb question but im stumped

Ignoring the illegalities, if one was to connect the PCV hose from the rear of the engine into some form of filter that had venting to the outside and blocked off the connection near the turbo end, would the vehicle run normally, or is there some form of electronic trickery that monitors PCV flow somewhere?

Ignoring the illegalities, if one was to connect the PCV hose from the rear of the engine into some form of filter that had venting to the outside and blocked off the connection near the turbo end, would the vehicle run normally, or is there some form of electronic trickery that monitors PCV flow somewhere?
Ignoring the legalities, you can do that... however, it doesn't matter what sort of filter you put on it, it is going to make a mess under the vehicle, especially when travelling at high speed, from the blow by that will be coming out of it...

Yes, I thought so, thanks bods.

Is that a one-way valve moulded into the top of the cover in the rear of the motor where that hose attaches?

I wouldn't have thought so. Feeding it back into the intake before the turbo will just suck it through. I've had the pipe off mine and can't say I saw anything in there...

I was thinking of doing something a bit shady, but....

I was thinking of the old motors that had those walking sticks coming out of the top of the rocker covers, I thought they were that long, just so the oil would drop out of the engine bay and not get splattered everywhere, but apparently they used the passing air under the vehicle to help syphon out the gases.

I was reading in a VW forum that if you just let the gases ooz out of the PCV you run the risk of causing various types of damage to your motor as it's left to the combustion stroke of the motor to push the gasses out, well that's how I understood it.

Here's a link to that text - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5845638-PCV-Breather-filter&p=79215172&viewfull=1#post79215172

There's a bit more to this PCV system thing than I first imagined.

I did likewise a few years ago
IMG_1088.jpg

You're an artists Aus, so neat ;-)

Don't be fooled by someone saying your motor will be damaged if you disconnect the PCV. The PCV on a petrol (non-turbo) vehicle is also connected to the intake and while the intake manifold is at a lower pressure providing a form of suction, it's not as great as the turbocharger's suction.

Ignoring the legality - you can vent it but I would catch the oil first. If you don't you'll have oil spatter under your car collecting dirt, oil on your tailgate, and you'll drop oil on the road - and that is a danger to other road users.

Latest posts

Back